In partnership with ExtraMile Arena
Trying this again :) ExtraMile Arena is hooking up a local nonprofit with 4 tickets to the Greta Van Fleet concert on September 3rd – and they want YOU to choose the nonprofit. The band makes intentional choices to help lower their carbon footprint & their youthful music celebrates Mother Earth as the ultimate inspiration.
Goathead Fest is on Saturday
Boise Goathead Fest is back on Saturday, August 27. This is one of my most fave Boise events because I love to ride my bike and I love to wear costumes. It's so fun and it's freeee!
Last year, I wrote a story about how Goathead Fest came to be, but in short: Goathead Fest is a celebration of Boise's bicycling culture & an effort to eradicate the goathead weed, which are those terrible little thorn balls you may or may not have encountered in Boise.
Here's some highlights for Goathead Fest 2022:
- 11am: The fest always kicks off with a bike parade through downtown Boise. It's a chill ride through downtown. Wear a costume. Get there at 10 to register for the ride.
- 11:30am: Partay starts. Try barrel-aged beer from Lost Grove, ride a freak bike (it's so fun), join the dance party at noon.
- 12:30pm: Catch Boise band Urban Outfielders (listen)
- 1pm: Costume contest with Miss Penelope Windsor
- 3pm: LA's pop punk rockers Bleached (listen) are headlining main stage. Gonna be a good one.
- 3:30pm: Kid storytime with Miss Penelope Windsor
- 4:30pm: Bike block party with DJ Wendy Fox
More weekend festivals
Fri Aug 26: Flying M Fest is a showcase of local bands and artists happening 5:30-10:30pm to raise funds for 2C Mutual Aid. It's free and open to all ages! Super cool chance to discover some local bands & meet new peeps.
Fri Aug 26: Sip N Frolic, a local beer & wine tasting event, is happening 4:30-8:30pm on the Basque Block. Tix are $30 & includes 5 beer tastings or 4 wine tastings.
Sat Aug 27: The 5th Annual Indian Food Festival is happening 5-7:30pm at the Agriculture Pavilion in Julia Davis Park. Enjoy authentic Indian food, Bollywood music, henna tattoos & more!
Sat Aug 27: The Idaho Heritage Festival is happening at Indian Creek Plaza from 10am-1pm. Activities, performances, vendors & more. It's free and open to all ages.
Sat Aug 27: Winefest 2022 is happening on the Basque Block 5-8pm. Tix are $75 and includes samples of more than 100 wines from around the world, pintxos, live music, vendors & more!
Sat Aug 27: The Boise Water Lantern Festival is happening 5:30-10pm at the pond in Julia Davis Park. If you want to launch a lantern, tix are $26 until tomorrow then go up to $41. You can go watch for free.
Sun Aug 28: Watson's Barzaar on the Patio is happening 9am-4pm at Watson's Mystery Cafe on Fairview Ave. Enjoy a mimosa, beer, or cocktail and shop local vendors.
Sun Aug 28: Eat, Drink, Shop Sunday Market is happening at Green Acres Boise from 10am-2pm.
Sun Aug 28: Lost & Found 208 is hosting a Mini Flea Market at Shadow Puppet (1526 S Vista Ave) from 12-5pm. Five local vendors will have goodies, plus Shadow Puppet will be serving local beer & natural wines. Also Shadow Puppet is 21+ so no kiddos at this one.
Sponsored by The Egyptian Theatre
Tonight is the night...
...to catch award-winning ukulele player Paula Fuga at The Egyptian Theatre. Get a cozy seat and let Paula's spellbinding songwriting and extraordinary instrumentals take you away – all the way to a sandy beach in the sun. Grab your tix now!
Tunes & shows
Some real good shows this weekend & next week.
This weekend: Go see a bunch of local bands at Flying M Fest on Friday night, or go catch the Boise Highlanders bagpipe concert in the Julia Davis Bandshell - both events are free! Have a chill Saturday with locals Wend (listen) and Brett Netson (listen), opening for Marissa Nadler (listen). On Sunday, party with Spaceface (listen) and Hand Trembler (listen) at Neurolux.
See more upcoming shows at fromboise.com/shows
- Th Aug 25 @ 5:30pm: Boise Straight Ahead at Idaho Botanical Garden
- Th Aug 25 @ 8pm: Paula Fuga at The Egyptian Theatre
- Th Aug 25 @ 8pm: Red Wanting Blue at The Olympic
- Fri Aug 26 @ 5:30pm: Flying M Fest at Flying M Coffee Shop in Caldwell
- Fri Aug 26 @ 7pm: Dale Watson + Steve Eaton & Andy Byron at Visual Arts Collective
- Fri Aug 26 @ 7pm: Boise Highlanders Free Bagpipe Concert at Julia Davis Park
- Fri Aug 26 @ 7:30pm: almost a.m. with The Governors at The Moat Boise
- Fri Aug 26 @ 8pm: Hotel Garuda + Bearkat at Neurolux
- Fri Aug 26 @ 8:30pm: Summer Meltdown *Silent Disco* at Payette Brewing
- Sat Aug 27 @ 7pm: Marissa Nadler + Brett Netson + Wend at Neurolux
- Sat Aug 27 @ 7pm: Potbelly + Dogs in the Fight, Dumpster Fire + XOX at The Olympic
- Sun Aug 28 @ 8pm: Spaceface + Hand Trembler at Neurolux
- Mon Aug 29 @ 8pm: Courtney Marie Andrews + Jake Freeman at Neurolux
- Tu Aug 30 @ 8pm: Vista Kicks + Dante Elephante + Hail Maries at Neurolux
More upcoming shows: fromboise.com/shows
Comedy & storytelling
Ddi you catch our story on Tuesday about Boise's comedy scene?
- TONIGHT: The Brew Ha-Ha Mic Comedy Open Mic at Mad Swede Brew Hall starts at 8pm. Online sign ups open til 6pm.
- Fri Aug 26: Comedian Trevor Wallace is at TheEgyptian Theatre at 6:30pm. Tix are $25-$75.
- Fri Aug 26: The Post Roe Show is happening at O'Michaels Pub & Grill. Starts at 8pm.
- Fri Aug 26: Upstaged Comedy Competition Week Two is happening at Watson's Mystery Cafe at 7pm. Tix are $20.
- Fri- Sat Aug 26-27: Comedian Sam Miller is at Mad Swede Downtown Brew Hall on Friday & Saturday. Shows start at 7pm & there is a 9pm show on Sat. Tix are $15 online/$20 at door.
- Sat Aug 27: Bring Comedy Backyard August Showcase with comedians Dylan Hunter, Brittany Hargis & Leslie Bing. Starts at 9:30pm. Tix are $15 & limited!
- Sat Aug 27: Comic of the Month, Boise's monthly comedy competition, is at Mad Swede Brew Hall Downtown. Five local comedian competing for $100 & your affection. Starts at 7:30pm and tix are $15 online/$20 at door.
- Sat Aug 27: The Late Night Comedy Open Mic is at Mad Swede Brew Hall. Starts at 11pm.
- Mon Aug 29: The Sweet Swede Comedy Open Mic at Mad Swede on Cole Road is at 8pm; sign ups at 7:30pm.
Food finds & things to drink
- Have you tired Goldstein Bagels yet??
- Did you guys see that Parilla is opening a new spot downtown? BoiseDev has that story.
- Sat Aug 27: Learn all about coffee at Coffee Cupping 101 at Flying M Garage in Nampa.
- Sat Aug 27: Sturman's Wine & Cigars is having a 70s party on Sat at 6pm.
- Sun Aug 28: It's Sunday Funday at Mad Swede Brew Hall (downtown). Play some board games & meet new friends.
- Sun Aug 28: Do a Tasting with the Winemaker at Rolling Hills Urban Tasting Room. Winemaker Mark Pasculli will lead a tasting of 5 wines & answer questions. Tix are $60. There's 2 sessions - 2-3pm or 3:30-4:30pm.
Things to do
- TONIGHT: Go for a run & meet new friends at the Push & Pour Running Club. Meet at 13 S Latah at 6pm.
- TONIGHT: Go check out Art at the Greenbelt Market and meet local artists Jessie Swimeley.
- Th-Sat Aug 25-27: Broadway Nampa is performing the Sound of Music. The Sat matinee show is sold out so hurry & get your tix!
- Fri Aug 26: Get an Intro to Latin Dance at Sound in Motion. Class is $29 and includes a week of classes after! No partner or experience necessary.
- Fri Aug 26: Go see The Gendertainers: Boise’s Drag Things at The Balcony. Starts at 8pm, 21+
- Sat Aug 27: Go on an Accessible Birding tour of Kathryn Albertson Park with the Golden Eagle Audubon Society. It's free and open to all ages! Meet in the parking lot at 9am.
- Sat Aug 27: Green Acres Boise Food Truck Park is hosting a Pet Day - do a pound workout to raise money for the Idaho Humane Society, get a photo of your pet, and get a fresh baked pet treat. Starts at 10am.
- Sat Aug 27: Check out Perforated Light, a camera obscura installation by Gibson+Recoder. It's in the GreenBox from 10am-12pm by Push & Pour in Garden City.
- Sat Aug 27: Caribbean writer Opal Palmer Adisa is leading a workshop at Surel's Place called Writing What Writes You, based on the premise that there are stories and poems you need to write, but they aren't necessarily the ones you are writing. Discover hidden sources of creativity! 1-4pm, tix are $35.
- Sat Aug 27: Go watch Natural Born Killers at The Egyptian. Tix are $5 and starts at 8pm.
- Sun Aug 28: Learn mineral identification with Coyote Short at the Idaho Museum of Mining and Geology.
- Sun Aug 28: Payette Brewing is hosting The Office trivia. Starts at 6pm.
- Wed Aug 31: The Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic is back!! I'll write more about it next week but it officially kicks off on Wednesday with kids day.
Just trust me...
Did y'all see the 113-million-year-old dinosaur tracks found in a dried up river?! So cool.
Thanks for reading!
With love from Boise,
Love this newsletter? I'm so glad! You can keep it going by supporting it here.