Hi friends! Hope you are all doing great. Did anyone check out Alive After Five or the Sunset Park Neighborhood Concert last night? I went to AA5 and it was soo fun! So happy it's back.
This weekend it's not raining (rejoice) and that means I've got a long list of fun things for you to do. Have funnn!
Something new for summer
Pedals & Pints (the company that does the bike bars downtown) just announced Lucky Peak Boat Tours. Talk about a summer partay.
Tours are for 8-12 people. You hop on a shuttle from Albertson's on Federal Way and head to Lucky Peak for a 2 hour boat ride complete with drinks, music & swim stops. It's open to all ages, cost is $799 and the whole shebang is about 3.5 hours. You can book right meow: pedals-pints.com
North Fork Championships
North Fork Championships are happening this weekend, June 16-18, in Crouch. It's one of the top kayaking competitions in the world for the best of the best. It's also a very fun whitewater festival/party in the mountains. Events start on Thursday and wrap up Saturday night. Here's the schedule if you wanna check it out and you can learn a bit more about the races here.
TONIGHT: To kick things off, check out the NFC Film Fest at Payette Brewing. Watch kayaking short films, drink beer, wine something cool in a raffle & make some new river friends. Starts at 5:30pm & the festivities begin at 7pm. It's all ages & tix are $20 at the door.
World Refugee Day is happening 9:30am-1pm on the Grove Plaza. See live music and dance performances, a citizenship ceremony, shop artisan and craft vendors & enjoy specialty meals from Amina’s Sambusas, Darjeeling MoMo and Tarbush Kitchen.
Juneteenth celebrations are happening Sat & Sun in Julia Davis Park. Performers, car raffle, vendors, music & more. 11am-4pm.
FEMSTEM is a new festival celebrating women, movement, mindfulness, and STEM. It's at Ann Morrison Park from 9am-1pm. Explore all kinds of workshops, pop ups, and speakers and learn things like rock hounding, self-defense, hiking safety, knot tying, yoga, breath work and much more. It's free but rsvp required.
Also on Sunday, there's a Scandinavian Midsummer Celebration at Kristin Armstrong Municipal Park.
Sponsored by Downtown Boise Association
Take dad downtown
...because the 19th Annual Downtown Boise Father's Day Car Show is back! Treat the dad in your life to a day of doing something dads do best: surveying other people's work ;)
The Father's Day Car Show will have dozens of classic cars, hot rods, modern vehicles, and alternative vehicles (garbage trucks, herses, buses?!) that you can check out while listening to live Radio Boise DJs and enjoying beautiful downtown Boise.
Cars will be there from 9am-3:30pm and will be along the streets at the northern end of downtown near 8th Street and the Capitol. More info here. Fun!
More things to take a dad to
- Sat: Father’s Day Demolition Derby in Emmett
- Sat-Sun: Franz Witte is having a free Father's Day Festival
- Sun: Dads get free mini golf at Wahooz
- Sun: Father's Day Breakfast at Zoo Boise
- Sun: Manly Man's Father's Day Bash at Western Collective
- Sun: Father's Day at Payette Brewing
Tunes & shows
Sat June 18: If you need some new vinyl, The Record Exchange is doing Summer RSD Drops. 80 Record Store Day exclusives available 8am-8pm!
Hot hot shows comin up! See them all at fromboise.com/shows
- Th June 16 @ 6pm: Sunset Jazz Concert at Ste. Chapelle Winery
- Th June 16 @ 6pm: EL Perro + Dirty Streets at The Shredder
- Th June 16 @ 9pm: Rider Soran at Pengilly's
- Fri June 17 @ 7pm: Emily Wells + Endless Atlas at Visual Arts Collective
- Fri June 17 @ 7pm: Kendall Street Company + Town of Trees at The Olympic
- Fri June 17 @ 9pm: Hand Trembler + The Rose Shades at Neurolux
- Fri June 17 @ 9pm: The Last Call at Indian Creek Steakhouse
- Fri June 17 @ 9:30pm: DLish + Phat Matt + Auzomatik at Knitting Factory
- Sat June 18 @ 7pm: Local Metal Showcase at Knitting Factory
- Sat June 18 @ 8pm: Rhodes Hull + Moon Owl's Mages at Egyptian Theatre
- Sat June 18 @ 8pm: Del Water Gap + Raffaella at The Shredder
- Sun June 19 @ 1pm: High Street Party Band at Ste. Chapelle Winery
- Sun June 19 @ 6pm: Fall of Fathom + Artificial Aliens + I Sank Atlantis + Ashes of Adonis at The Olympic
- Sun June 19 @ 8pm: Eilen Jewell + Steve Fulton at KIN
- Sun June 19 @ 8pm: Neko Case at The Egyptian Theatre
- Tu June 21 @ 6pm: Low-Fi + Boise Rock School at JUMP
- Tu June 21 @ 7pm: The Toasters + Dirt Cheap + Jerkwadz at The Shredder
- Tu June 21 @ 7pm: Kamikaze Nurse + Shadowhouse + xox at Neurolux
- Wed June 22 @ 5pm: Mr Grant Olsen + With Child at Alive After Five (Grove Plaza)
More upcoming shows: fromboise.com/shows
Food finds & things to drink
- TONIGHT: Mad Swede Brewing is doing a tap takeover at Homestead Bar & Grill from 5:30-8pm. Go taste your faves.
- Fri June 17: Celebrate Pride Month and meet new LGBTQ friends at the Rainbow Circle BBQueer in Kleiner Park from 5:30-8:30pm. Some food provided but bring a side or dessert to share. All ages welcome, under age 13 should come with a trusted adult/sibling/parent. Free to attend!
- Sat June 18: Boise Brewing's Anniversary Block Party is 12-9pm. Beer, dunk tank, food trucks, music & more!
- Sat June 18: The Wild West Brewfest is going on at Indian Creek Plaza in Caldwell from 5-10pm. There will be 50+ breweries, country music & a mustache contest lol. It's free to attend. Tix to drink are $35 & includes mug & 12 tokens.
- Alsooo Kin has a new summer bar menu & it looks bomb.com
Fri June 17: Emma Arnold + Geoff Tate at Push & Pour in Garden City. Doors at 8pm and tix are $20.
Fri-Sat June 17-18: Quartez Wynn + Bree Jones at Lounge at the End of the Universe. Show is at 8pm and tix are $15.
Sat June 18: A Brunch of Laughs (Pride Edition) at Watson's Mystery Cafe. Show starts at 2pm and tix are $10.
Sat June 18: Femme Fatale Comedy Show (Pride Edition) at Mad Swede Brew Hall Downtown. Tix are $15 and sho starts at 9pm.
Things to do
- TONIGHT: Check out the Pride Pop Up happening at Flying M Coffee in Nampa from 5-8pm. It's an all ages Pride party with food trucks, LGBTQ+ makers and nonprofits & new friends!
- TONIGHT: It's Third Thursday in downtown Nampa & it's gonna be poppin'. They've got food trucks up the yang, lots of games & live music. Free parking too!
- TONIGHT: Boise Bicycle Project has Kids Fix-It Night, where any child in need of bike repairs can come & learn how to fix their bike for free! 6-8pm.
- TONIGHT: Go see some Art at the Greenbelt Market. This week, local artist Sunny Dawn Freeman is showing her work. 6-8pm & it's free to attend!
- Fri June 17: Attend Captivating Conversations at the Old Idaho Pen and learn the history of prison labor at the Old Pen. Convo starts at 6:30pm. It's free! But register before you go.
- Fri June 17: Movie night! Go see Addams Family 2 at Optimist Park in Nampa. Byo blanket/chairs. It's free!
- Sat June 18: Go on a hike with Meriwether Cider Co & Ridge to Rivers! My amazing friend Scott is leading the hike through Polecat Gulch. It's $7 ($2 goes to R2R), kids are free & pups on-leash allowed. Meet at the Polecat Reserve parking lot at 10am.
- Sat June 18: Go to the Juneteenth Emancipation Drag Show at The Balcony. Starts at 8pm and tix are $5. 21+
- Sat June 18: Nature-loving history buffs, this one is for you. Join Idaho State Archives for Variety From the Vaults: Great Outdoors & look through maps, photos, and documents illustrating the history of wilderness, trails, and parks across the state. Goes 12-3pm. It's free!
Just trust me...
watch this music video about Idaho from a From Boise reader :)
Thanks for reading! Have a lovely weekend!
With love from Boise,
Love this newsletter? I'm so glad! You can keep it going by supporting it here.