Green Acres is open for the season
Boise's only food truck park returns on Friday, April 22 for its second season. You can get excited for:
Four permanent food/drink trucks + daily rotating food trucks. Permanent options include The Green Acres Bar, The Fizzy Cow Ice Cream & Soda Shop, Viking Coffee (full espresso bar, coffee, teas & Scandinavian pastries), & Sushi Bros (fresh sushi, sashimi, nigiri & poke all day, everyday). Yum.
New hours. Green Acres is open Tuesday to Sunday, 11am-9pm. Viking Coffee is open everyday, Monday to Saturday 7-11am.
Live music every day. Evening show happening daily and two shows on the weekends in the afternoon and evening.
More events. Green Acres is planning crawfish boils, beer festivals, corn hole tournaments, Hula Hoop contests, paint nights & more for the 2022 season.
Green Acres grand opening is this weekend and kicks off on Friday, April 22. They have a whole bunch of things planned, including 16 different food truck appearances, a special Saturday breakfast, daily live music, and weekend events.
Go check it out! 1401 Shoreline Drive, Boise, ID 83702
Shade City Brewfest is Fri & Sat
Shade City Brewfest is this weekend! It's a ’70s-inspired, sustainability-driven, beer festival created by Lost Grove Brewing, Idaho Botanical Garden, and Treasure Valley Canopy Network. This is such a cool event & I hope we see more events organized with sustainability top of mind.
Here's the deets:
- This is a 21+ event happening Friday, April 22 5-9pm & Saturday, April 23 1-6pm in the Idaho Botanical Garden.
- Tix are $10 per day. Beer tokens are $2 and get you a 4oz pour. Early bird tix are $20 & includes 10 beer tokens.
- Bring your own cup! Any kind of cup works, just no glass.
- Bring a blank shirt. They will have screen printing on-site.
- Bring a water bottle. Hydration, ya know?
- Wear a 70s outfit. Groovy, baby.
- Don't bring a chair. They have some there for ya.
More info & tickets can be found here. See you there!
Some cool local things to support
Voces Internship Idaho is a new internship program for Latino Idahoans who want to pursue a career in journalism. The program creates paid internships and matches interns with newsrooms across the state. They are looking to raise $20k to fund as many internships as possible & looking for Latino/Hispanic people with professional backgrounds in news media to volunteer as mentors. More info at vocesinternship.com.
Radio Boise Radiothon is happening right now. I'm a regular listener & monthly supporter. It's where I often find new music and artists, and I love tuning in at random and hearing something completely different & new. There are dozens of shows every week, at all hours of the day. All of the DJs are volunteers & keeping the station on air is funded by people like us in Boise & beyond. You can donate, listen & learn more at radioboise.org or tune in at 93.5fm or 98.9fm.
Inspiration Alley is a collection of large-scale murals in downtown Boise depicting social justice heroes. They are looking for support to create more murals and support local artists. You can donate & learn more at gofundme.com/f/expanding-inspiration-alley.
Flock Cancer Idaho is a new local nonprofit organizing the annual flamingo-themed Flock Cancer Street Stroll, which took the place of the Susan Komen Race for the Cure. The walk is happening May 7 on Harrison Blvd. Register & learn more at flockcanceridaho.com
Also reminder that Idaho Gives is May 2-5!
Tunes & shows
April 23 is Record Store Day! This Saturday Record Exchange is open 8am-8pm & will have 275 exclusive releases available, in-store & sidewalk performances, & more! Dibs on the Grateful Dead 4/8/72 5LP lol. Also last year I wrote a story about local ties to Record Store Day and our local record store scene.
Some good shows coming up this weekend/next week! If you've never seen a show in a record store, I highly suggest checking out the RSD performances at Record Exchange. I'm also really excited about local rockers Ealdor Bealu who are releasing their latest album this week! If you like hard rock, def go to Neurolux on Saturday for Ealdor Bealu, Dirt Russell & Barren Lands.
See more upcoming shows at fromboise.com/shows
- April 21 @ 6pm: Distant Family at The Record Exchange
- April 21 @ 7pm: VEMM, MINKA, Neocentrics at The Lounge at the End of the Universe
- April 21 @ 7pm: rAdolescents, The Hajj, Noogy, the Crawlouts at The Shredder
- April 21 @ 7:30pm: Jon Spencer & The Hitmakers w/ Quasi at Neurolux
- April 21 @ 8pm: EUPHORIA at Knitting Factory
- April 21 @ 8pm: Hardwood Heart at The Ranch Caldwell
- April 21 @ 8pm: Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers at The Olympic
- April 21 @ 9pm: Rider Soran at Pengillys Saloon
- April 22 @ 6pm: Twin Void Live w/Power House, The Fire Rising, Kale Brown & the Fuzz at The Shredder
- April 22 @ 7pm: Cinders w/ Brett Reid at The Sapphire Room
- April 22 @ 7:30pm: Soft Kill, Alien Boy, Topographies at Neurolux
- April 22 @ 9pm: Cliff Miller Band at Indian Creek Steakhouse
- April 23 @ 7pm: Chris Webby at Revolution Center
- April 23 @ 8pm: Ealdor Bealu Album Release w/ Dirt Russell, Barren Lands at Neurolux
- April 23 @ 8:30pm: The Generator Saints at Ironwood Bar & Grill
- April 23 @ 9pm: DJ Night at The Mode Lounge
- April 24 @ 2:30pm: Dead Man Walking at The Egyptian Theatre
- April 24 @ 7pm: Destroyer w/ Rosali at The Olympic
- April 24 @ 8pm: Curtis Stigers at The Record Exchange
- April 25 @ 7pm: Rotting Christ, Borknagar, Weald and Woe at The Shredder
- April 25 @ 7pm: NEEDTOBREATHE at Knitting Factory
- April 26 @ 7:30pm: MONO, Bing & Ruth at Neurolux
- April 28 @ 7pm: Mystery Skulls at The Shredder
- April 28 @ 7:30pm: Tech N9ne at Revolution Concert House
- April 28 @ 8pm: The Flaming Lips at Knitting Factory
More upcoming shows: fromboise.com/shows
Food finds & things to drink
- Did you know a new macaroon store just opened in downtown Boise? The French Whisk is open now at 102 N 6th Street.
- This week Petite 4 has a new special: Double decker veal schnitzel sando with curried Jojo potatoes, buttermilk ranch and giardiniera. Holy smokessss.
- Also The STIL has a new flavor out: Sawtooth Road Trip, a booze-infused huckleberry cream ale with huckleberry flavor.
- April 27: Derluj is hosting a wine & chocolate tasting night, 4-8pm. This is my bff's store on the bench. If you like vintage clothes, candles, jewelry & other goodies - you will love it! 701 S Latah.
Things to do
- April 22-23: Femme Von Follies is back at the VAC. On Friday & Sat night go see the Neo-Classical Burlesque with Ula Vamps and her Midnight Scamps. Tix are $20 adv or $25 door & its 21+.
- April 22-23: The Pinner's Conference & Expo is in Boise! Take DIY workshops, get inspiration for your next project, & check out hundreds of businesses. It's at Expo Idaho Fairgrounds on Friday & Saturday. Tix range from $10-$29 depending on if you are taking classes. More info here.
- April 23: Enjoy Earth Day on the Farm with Bohemian Bloom & Herb Farm. Live music, plant sales, kids activities, and more. It's free!
- April 23: Looking for some new river gear? Check out Idaho Whitewater Association's Spring Equipment Sale.
- April 23: Love camping, fishing, hunting, hiking? Check out the Rugged Idaho Expo at Indian Creek Plaza. 10am-3pm.
- April 23: Savannah Dunn, a Boise local & the current artist in residence at Surel's Place is hosting a workshop: Context in Dance. It's for dancers and audiences to better understand & create context in dance performance. $35, ages 16+.
- April 23: Alice in Neverland is happening at 2pm at Morrison Center & it's free!
- April 23: Glitter and Gold on the Vegas Strip, a Vegas-themed drag show, a Somewhere Bar. Starts at 9pm, 21+
- April 24: Looking for a Sunday workout? Powderhaus Brewing is hosting Pound & Pour at 11am. Tix are $10 and includes the class & a drink.
- April 24: Check out Tea & Tarot, A Metaphysical Bazaar at Lounge at the End of the Universe. Over 50 local vendors with all things mystic & magical. 1-9pm, all ages.
- April 26: Story Story Night is celebrating its 12th bday. Hear stories in the theme of COMiNG OF AGE: Stories of Growing Pains & Rites of Passage. Tix are $12 & it's all ages.
- April 29: Explore Dance Company has its annual charity performance, Exploration, next weekend. You have two chances to see it, 5pm & 7:30pm, at the Nampa Civic Center. Tix are $10-$15 and all proceeds benefit Operation Underground Railroad.
Just trust me...
This is so adorable. The little trots! Ugh so cute.
Thanks for reading! Hope you have a fun weekend <3
With love from Boise,
Love this newsletter? I'm so glad! You can keep it going by supporting it here.