Kinda bummed to see rain in the forecast for the long weekend, but lucky for us there is no shortage of fun things happening to keep us entertained. Here's what I found for ya:
Breaking cute alert
Hops & Bottles has new dog bandanas in & they are very cute. Get the good boy or girl in your life a lil something for summer <3
Ourself Behind Ourself, Concealed
Grammy-nominated cellist Dave Eggar, a Boise favorite, is back in Idaho, and he brought some friends and a new suite of music by some of the most dynamic and diverse composers working today.
Ourself Behind Ourself, Concealed features works by Black, Haitian, Native American, and Japanese American musicians, and will include special dance interpretations by locals LED, Andrew Nemr and the Idaho Fine Arts Academy. It's being performed live for just the second time since its 2022 release. There will also be a special performance by master of the ancient red cedar Lakota flute, Tiokasin Ghosthorse.
You can still snag tickets to this super cool event - they are $25 or $10 for students. More info + tix here.
Dennis the Cat Day
SATURDAY: Celebrate one of Boise's best kitties, Dennis the Cat. Dennis was a cat who
lived at ruled the Old Idaho Pen for 16 years, from 1952-1968. You can read my story about Dennis here, it's one of my faves.
On Saturday, May 29 from 12-5pm, celebrate Dennis the Cat Day at the Old Idaho Pen. Learn about Dennis and the other animals that lived at the Old Pen, do a Prison Paws scavenger hunt, enjoy food trucks, beer and alcohol, local pet supply vendors & more. It's all ages & free for members or $5-$8.
Take me out to the ballllll game
SATURDAY: Boise Hawks baseball games begin this weekend! The Hawks have their first home games of the season this weekend on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday May 28-30. Tix are $9-$15 and the first pitch is at 7pm.
Sponsored by Surel's Place
Honey, I shrunk the art
Coming up on Friday, June 10, Surel's Place is holding its annual Shrinky Dink Art Auction – and you will not want to miss it.
This event has become super popular over the years. Dozens of local artists create incredible little artworks out of Shrinky Dinks. Proceeds go to Surel's Place to keep up their year-round programming. Grab your tickets to the biggest (and tiniest) art party of the year.
Punk show on skates
SUNDAY: Roll on down to Treasure Valley Skate for Thrasher, a punk show on skates. Live music from LA's Watch Your Tone and Boise locals Raccoon Tour, A Residual Affinity, & Slurm Flirty Worm. Tickets are $12 advance, $15 at the door, & $5 skate rental. All ages!
Tunes & shows
Going to a show is a great way to spend a rainy long weekend ;) Check em out at fromboise.com/shows
- Th May 26 @ 7pm: Ezra Furman + Grace Cummings at Visual Arts Collective (VAC)
- Sat May 28 @ 7pm: Bad Bad Hats + The Ophelias + Petal Party at Neurolux
- Sat May 28 @ 7pm: The Noise Reggaeton Party #4 at the Revolution Center
- Sat May 28 @ 8pm: Spencer Brown + Morgin Madison at Knitting Factory
- Sat May 28 @ 8:30pm: Memorial Weekend Dance Party at Ironwood Bar & Grill
- Sun May 29 @ 7pm: Lord Huron at Idaho Botanical Garden
- Sun May 29 @ 7pm: Ultra Q + Why Not at The Shredder
- Sun May 29 @ 7pm: Anthony Green + Laura Jane Grace + Tim Kasher at The Olympic
- Sun May 29 @ 8pm: Snow Tha Product at Knitting Factory
- Sun May 29 @ 6pm: Christian Bella at Asana Climbing Gym
More upcoming shows: fromboise.com/shows
Food finds & things to drink
- Fri May 27: Barbarian Brewing is doing a collab with Basqueland Brewing. Taste their new Dessert Berliner Weisse and get a few Basque bites from Kimset Kitchen.
- Fri May 27: Sockeye Brewing has another 36th Street Pop Up Pop from 5-9pm. Trivia, $4 drinks, $7 6-packs, & food trucks!
- All weekend: Green Acres food truck park will be open allll weekend & Monday, hosting 12 different food trucks, 9 bands, & special events like a face painter, a caricature artist & the Posy Blue Flower Truck.
- The new Warehouse Food Hall in downtown Boise announced its opening July 12.
- Kin has a new menu that looks very adventurous & delicious.
- Madre added their Queso Birria to the menu for good!
Things to do
- TONIGHT: This week's Art at the Greenbelt Market features Idaho artist Kayla Hanson.
- TONIGHT: JUMP is hosting Illumibrate Sneak Preview Benefitting Ukraine. It's part benefit, part blacklight immersion experience. Learn more here. It's 6-8pm & free!
- Fri May 27: Go see Clerks (1994) at The Egyptian Theatre. Tix are $10 and starts at 7:30pm.
- Fri May 27: Get dolled up and go see Let Them Eat Cake drag show at Somewhere Bar. The theme is all things cake, Marie Antoinette, and/or 17th/18th Century France. Starts at 9pm!
- Fri-Sat May 27-28: Join Femme Von Follies for a NeoClassical Burlesque at VAC. Two nights of burlesque, gogo, ariel, cabaret, circus, comedy, & drag. It's 21+ and tix are $20. Shows start at 8pm.
- Sat May 28: Go on a Bird Walk on the Greenbelt with the Golden Eagle Audubon Society. It's free!
- Sat May 28: My Places 2022 Spring Carnival is happening from 11am-3pm at the Playhouse Boise Dinner Theater and Event Center. MyPlaces is a nonprofit that provides opportunities for the Special Needs Community to get out, have fun, and connect with other people.
- Sat May 28: Watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) at The Egyptian Theatre. Tix are $10 and starts at 7:30pm.
- Sat May 28: Go see the Conspiracy Comedy Show at The Creative Space in Garden City. It's put on by Recycled Minds comedy & it's an all ages show. Tix are $5-$15 & they usually sell out so get em before the aliens do.
- Sat-Sun May 28-29: Check out the CAF Idaho Mountain Bike Clinic at Fort Boise. Open to adaptive athletes of all abilities!
Just trust me...
...and look at these butterfly pupas :o
Thanks for reading! Have a fun & safe long weekend!
With love from Boise,
Love this newsletter? I'm so glad! You can keep it going by supporting it here.