In partnership with Boise Entrepreneur Week
Attention Boise entrepreneurs & go getters: Boise Entrepreneur Week is Oct 24-28, 2022 & it's free to attend. But the time to get involved is right now.
Got a great business idea? Apply for the BEW Pitch Competition by tomorrow, Sept 2. You have a chance to win $300k in funding!
Interested in a food & beverage startup? Apply for the Trailmix Pitch Competition by Friday, Sept 9. You could win $50k in prize money & shelf space at Albertsons on Broadway Ave!
More places to bring your dog
Tuesdays story was about places to bring your pup. You guys had a few more suggestions:
- Loose Screw Brew Co (1511 W McMillan Rd Suite 100 in Meridian) is dog-friendly and even has a kinda mascot dog, a gorgeous Golden Retriever named Fitz.
- Good Apple Taphouse (1728 E McMillan Rd Suite 160 in Meridian). They have a whole bunch of fun games, a pizza place nextdoor, trivia nights, food trucks too & two patios!
- Clairvoyant Brewing allows dogs at both locations and usually has a food truck.
- The Village at Meridian is dog-friendly and some stores will allow them inside, like All About Games and Columbia.
- Also IdaHistory Macabre History of Boise outdoor walking tour allows dogs
- Merrill Park in Eagle and nearby Eagle Greenbelt
- The Nampa dog park
- Also on Fri Sept 2: Go to the Summer Doggie Social at Greenbelt Market. Tix are $39, includes a drink & a bite to eat for you & your dog. 7-9pm.
Fun Thursday things
- TONIGHT: Head down to the Backyard at Franklin House to hear novelists Alan Heathcock & Dane Bahr. Tix are $10, includes a beer & all proceeds go to the artists. Starts at 6pm.
- TONIGHT: It's First Thursday in downtown Boise! Lots of fun pop up performances, food & drink specials & other fun surprises.
- TONIGHT: Boise rock band Moon Owl's Mages (listen) is having an album release party at Record Exchange. I really dig these guys!
Long weekend plans
- Fri-Sat Sept 2-3: Head on down to The Kuna Rodeo for rodeo events, a concert, fireworks, vendors and more. Starts at 3pm on Fri and 2pm on Sat.
- Fri-Sat Sept 2-3: Go to the Sunflower Festival at Flaming Acres Farm in Caldwell. It's free!
- Fri-Sun Sept 2-4: Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic is underway at Ann Morrison Park. Friday Night is the Nite Glow Spectacular and Sat-Sun balloons will be in the air by 7:20am. Here is a good guide for the balloon fest, written by From Boise reader Jamie!
- Sat Sept 3: The Boise Alt Art Market is happening at Lost Grove Brewing from 12-6pm. Check out 12 local artists, listen to live music & drink a beer!
- Sat-Sun Sept 3-4: Check out Hermit Music Fest at Indian Creek Winery in Kuna. It's a high-class low-key musical extravaganza and very family-friendly. Tix are $50-$90, kids 14 and under are free, and onsite camping is available.
- Sun Sept 4: Go get some new material at the Vinyl Pop-Up Shop & Swap at Lost Grove Brewing. 1-4pm.
- Sun Sept 4: Swing by Board Games & Brunch at Meriwether Cider on Chinden. Games are free and you can byo!
Tunes & shows
See a bunch of upcoming shows at fromboise.com/shows
- Th Sept 1 @ 7:30pm: Shakey Graves at Idaho Botanical Garden
- Fri Sept 2 @ 7pm: The Veldt at The Olympic
- Fri Sept 2 @ 8pm: Meltt + JÜN + Skylimit at Neurolux
- Sat Sept 3 @ 7pm: Greta Van Fleet at ExtraMile Arena
- Sat Sept 3 @ 7pm: The Very Most + Dirt Fishermen at Visual Arts Collective
- Sat Sept 3 @ 8pm: Dreamgirl + CD Ghost at The Shredder
- Sat Sept 3-4: Hermit Music Fest at Indian Creek Winery
- Sun Sept 4 @ 1pm: Jake Blues & Friends at Ste. Chapelle Winery
- Sun Sept 4 @ 5pm: Pennies on the Track at Franklin House & Backyard
- Tu Sept 6 @ 7pm: The Ries Brothers at The Olympic
- Tu Sept 6 @ 8pm: Pink Turns Blue at Visual Arts Collective
More upcoming shows: fromboise.com/shows
Comedy & storytelling
- Th-Sat Sept 1-3: Comedian Andy Woodhull is at Lounge at the End of the Universe. Tix start at $15.
- Fri Sept 2: It's the third & final week of The Upstaged Comedy Competition - go see who will take home the $500 prize. Tix are $20.
- Sat Sept 3: Tired of everyone's sh*t? You'll love Bitter B-Words: Comedy for Cranky Folks.
- Sat Sept 3: Go see Nice! Cool Beans! improv duo at Mad Swede Brew Hall downtown. Tix are $12-$45. Starts at 7pm.
- Sat Sept 3: Check out Let's Get Weird, a lineup of weird comedians at Watson's Cafe.
Food finds & things to drink
- Is it too early for pumpkin things because omg look at these pumpkin whoopie pies from Flour & Sage Baking Co.
- The STIL has fresh huckleberry ice cream. Get it while ya can.
- Sat Sept 3: Kinda food related - Petite 4 is doing a restaurant garage sale this weekend during Coffee & Donuts. 8-11am.
- Sat Sept 3: Happy 4th bday Meriwether Cider! Join the party at the Cider House downtown for cake, arts & crafts, cider releases and more.
- Next Th Sept 8: Get your tix for Telaya Chef Education Series featuring The Tony Cannoli. Tix are $60/two people and includes four hand crafted cannolis + four more to take home + a bottle of wine of your choice.
Things to do
- Tonight - Sept 25: Idaho Shakespeare Fest is performing The 39 Steps. Last run of the season!
- Sat Sept 3: Go watch V for Vendetta at The Egyptian Theatre. Tix are $10, starts at 8pm.
- Mon Sept 5: Watch films made by locals at Indie Movie Mondays at Mad Swede Downtown. This week's lineup is What a Weird World, hosted by Filmmuseum Boise. It's free!
- Wed Sept 7: Start your day Birding by Ear in Avimor's Spring Valley Creek. Meet at Foothills Heritage Park at 7:30am. It's free but you have to register.
- Wed Sept 7: Tango Boise is starting a 4-week Beginner Tango Series on Wednesday evenings. It's $60 for all 4 weeks of $8 to drop in & practice. No experience or partner necessary.
- City Cast Boise is sharing neighborhood tips & recs every week to help people get more locally involved. Have a fave coffee shop in Garden City? Know some weird tidbit about a North End building? Live on the Central Bench & always take visitors to this special park? Share the love for your neighborhood!*
- Also cool job alert: our friends at City Cast Boise are looking for a daily podcast host!
Just trust me...
Thanks for reading! Have a fun & safe weekend!
With love from Boise,
Love this newsletter? I'm so glad! You can keep it going by supporting it here.