Fun things first
I'm excited to share that From Boise is making its first foray into... MERCH!
We've teamed up with local artist Ashley Dreyfus to create a small batch of From Boise t-shirts and stickers. Pretty cute, eh?
Tees will be available to pre-order starting Thursday, September 22nd & there's only 100 shirts available! When they're gone, they're gone. Buuut in the meantime, you can win a *free* shirt, stickers & a surprise. Enter to win at end of this newsletter <3
Get ready... there's a lot.
Fri-Sat Sept 16-17: Eagle Jazz Festival is happening in multiple venues throughout Eagle. Friday night & Saturday there are free concerts at Heritage Park, Friday Club Night is $10 for shows at 3 venues, and Saturday Main Stage is at 3 Horse Ranch Vineyards with 5 shows for $35.
Fri-Sat Sept 16-17: Indian Creek Festival is happening in Caldwell at Indian Creek Plaza. It began in 2003 as a celebration of when the first section of Indian Creek in downtown Caldwell was uncovered. Enjoy a car show, chalk art contest, market, live music, and the infamous cardboard kayak races. It's free!
Fri-Sat Sept 16-17: Boise Comic Arts Festival is happening in multiple venues, including Zoo Boise, Julia Davis Park & Idaho State Museum. Celebrate all things comics & fandom. It's free!
Fri-Sun Sept 16-18: Hyde Park Street Fair is back! It hasn't happened since 2019. It's happening all weekend in Camel's Back Park with live music, 150+ vendors, food, drinks & more. It's free!
Fri-Sun Sept 16-18: Oktoberfest at Payette Brewing is happening all weekend. They have a full schedule of events kicking off at 5pm on Friday. Lots of bier, German foods, axe throwing, live polka & accordion music, stein hoisting, Hammerschlagen competitions & costume prizes. It's free to attend, all ages (bier drinkin is 21+) & dogs welcome.
Sat Sept 17: Spudfest: Idaho's Oktoberfest is happening at Bear Island Brewing Co. from 3:30-8:30pm. They have all the German things, lots of beir, potato games & a shuttle running to/from Bear Island & Payette! Brilliant.
Sun Sept 18: Celebrando A México is happening at Idaho Botanical Garden. This sounds really cool. It's an outdoor musical event to celebrate Mexican Independence Day, with performers stationed in different places throughout the garden. Music, food, drinks & more! Tix are free-$30.
Sun Sept 18: Celebrar el dia de la independencia de Mexico en Fiestas Patrias Meridian 2022! Food, folklor dancers, Azteca dancers, Mariachi band y mas! 1pm-8pm, it's free!
Sun Sept 18: The 2nd Annual Wild River Dash is happening at Esther Simplot Park from 10am-1pm. It's the Treasure Valley’s Only Paddle + Run Duathlon. Kids, teens & adults events.
Tunes & shows
See more upcoming shows at fromboise.com/shows
- Th Sept 15 @ 6pm: Full of Hell + Blood Incantation + Vermin Womb + Mortuous + God is War at The Olympic
- Th Sept 15 @ 8pm: Porridge Radio + Blondshell + Mandias at Neurolux
- Fri Sept 16 @ 5:30pm: Grant Olsen at Boise Rock School
- Fri Sept 16 @ 6pm: Flume + Quiet Bison + Kareem Ali at Idaho Botanical Garden
- Fri Sept 16 @ 6pm: Lauren and The Nostalgics at Mother Earth Taphouse
- Fri Sept 16 @ 10pm: Stoney Holiday at The Olympic
- Sat Sept 17 @ 4pm: The "Say So Long to Summer" Benefit Concert at Green Acres Boise
- Sat Sept 17 @ 7pm: Mortal Ashes at The Shredder
- Sat Sept 17 @ 8pm: Billy Cobham at The Egyptian Theatre
- Sat Sept 17 @ 8pm: Earthgang at Knitting Factory
- Tu Sept 20 @ 8pm: Water From Your Eyes at Neurolux
- Wed Sept 21 @ 7pm: Jackson Browne at Idaho Botanical Garden
- Wed Sept 21 @ 8pm: William Clark Green + Jonathan Terrell at The Olympic
- Th Sept 22 @ 6pm: Free Creatures + Eleven & Jason D at Lost Grove
More upcoming shows: fromboise.com/shows
Comedy & storytelling
- Fri Sept 16: Go see comedian Paula Poundstone, of NPR's "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!", at The Egyptian Theatre. Tix are $38.
- Fri Sept 16: See 4 comedians in one night at Sorry, I'm Projecting comedy show at Mad Swede Brew Hall. Tix are $15 and starts at 7pm.
- Sat Sept 17: See the Musical Improv Show with Improv Broadway’s Zach Atherton and Shae McCombs. It's at 8pm at Recycled Minds Comedy in Garden City.
- Sat Sept 17: See five funny ladies at Femme Fatale Comedy Show at Mad Swede Brew Hall. Starts at 8:30pm and it's $15.
- Sat Sept 17: Comedian & former teacher Cory Michaelis at the Lounge at the End of the Universe at 9pm. Tix are $20.
- Sun Sept 18: Check out "More Lemons" A Service Industry Night of Comedy at Mad Swede Brew Hall. Starts at 8:30pm and tix start at $25.
Food finds & things to drink
- Attention vegans! Oh Vegan Soul is moving into Chow Marketplace permanently next month.
- I'm kind of obsessed with watching Piedaho make pies...
- Breaking ice cream news: The STIL has a new flavor that is fresh peach almond cobbler. omg.
- Sun Sept 18: Join Ladies' Board Games & Brunch at Lost Grove Brewing. Pizza, drinks & a special brunch menu.
- Wed Sept 21: It's Grilled Cheese Night at Meriwether Cider in Garden City!
Things to do
- Th-Sat Sept 15-17: Go watch 13 Stories Film Showcase, featuring short films from local filmmakers based on true stories that happened at The Old Pen! It's super cool.
- Fri Sept 16: Remember my story about Death Cafes? The next Death Cafe Boise is happening on Friday at 6:30pm at True North Yoga. It's free!
- Fri Sept 16: It's Park(ing) Day in downtown Boise! I love this event. It's where they make tiny parks in parking spaces in downtown! So fun. Go check it out, it's free!
- Sat Sep 17: Go see Project Flux perform home. in their new location in Garden City. Enjoy wine from Par Terre Winery and performances new and past. Starts at 6:30pm and tix are $20-$30.
- Sat Sep 17: Ladies who like to hike, join Womeness In the Wilderness' Friendship Hike at Polecat Loop. It's free (donation suggested) & starts at 9am.
- Sat Sep 17: Go on a Downtown Boise Public Art Walking Tour. It's free! Starts at 10am.
- Sun Sept 18: Learn all about Idaho's Chinese Mining History and Heritage at the Idaho Museum of Mining & Geology.
- Want to play an instrument but don't really want to join a band? Join Boise Music Lessons Campfire Music Club! The Social Strummers series is perfect for novice players & beyond. Next sesh is on Sept 18!* (PS read our story about Boise Music Lessons).
- Mon Sept 19: Go watch Playbill: The Musical, a new a 40-minute comedy musical starring local professional stand-up Nathan Scott Ford, premiering at Indie Movie Mondays at Mad Swede Downtown. It's free!
- City Cast Boise recommends joining the Trash Club, a group that’s already done a ton of work — two and a half tons, actually — to reduce litter in Boise & around the Treasure Valley. You have to RSVP for events, which are held almost weekly somewhere in the Valley. The next one is on Sunday!*
- Wed Sept 21: Go play at the last DT Plays of the summer. Pop-up yard games at Cherie Buckner-Webb Park (aka pink tree park downtown). Giant jenga!
- Save the date for Stronger Together on Sept 25. It's a 5k course & wellness retreat benefiting the Idaho Make-A-Wish Foundation, hosted by KONO Nutrition at Camel's Back Park. All proceeds go to sending Hailey, a local Make-A-Wish kid, to Disney to meet her fave Disney princess Moana. Register now!*
Just trust me...
Thanks for reading!
With love from Boise,