In partnership with The Modern Hotel
Planning your summer adventure? How about a Modern Road Trip?
The Modern Hotel has two beautiful RVs that are stocked & ready for the road – and dogs are welcome! All linens, cookware, camp furniture, bathroom amenities & more are provided. When you’re done, simply return the rig. They take care of all the cleaning, waste & maintenance.
Reservations for 5+ day trips are open now & they will fill up quickly. Book your summer Modern Road Trip adventure today!
From Boise Podcast
Remember when I told y'all that I was thinking about starting a podcast version of the newsletter? Wellll I'm doing it :)
You can listen to the trailer below & subscribe on the podcast player of your choice to hear the first episode on May 30. I'm so excited! Hope you are too.
Let me know what you think --> hit reply or firstname.lastname@example.org Also tell your friends who don't read lol.
|Listen to From Boise!|
First Thurs construction crawl
Tonight is First Thursday and I have a proposition: what if we went out of our way to visit all of the businesses that have had construction in front of their stores for months?
Join us tonight as we take part in what I'm calling the construction crawl, where we spend some time & money at the businesses with construction on their doorstep. We're visiting Neckar Coffee, Broadcast Coffee, Calle 75 Street Tacos, Barbarian Brewing, Record Exchange, Neurolux, Matlack's, Atlas Bar, Prestige Skate Shop, 3Peat Vintage & Streetwear & more!
More First Thursday events here.
Final day of Idaho Gives
It's the final day of Idaho Gives! You have until midnight tonight to donate to the nonprofit(s) of your choice. A few nonprofits I recommend supporting:
- Global Lounge
- Boise Rock School (read my story about them)
- Surel's Place (read my story about Surel, one of my faves)
- Garden City Placemaking Fund (read my story about them)
- Game Changers Idaho (read my story about them)
- Freedom Bound Hounds (read my story about them & sorry in advance for making you cry)
- Meridian Canine Rescue
- Faces of Hope
TONIGHT: The annual BFF Block Party for Idaho Gives is happening at Ann Morrison Park from 4-8pm. Meet 40+ nonprofits, enjoy live entertainment, food, drinks & more! It's free & fam-friendly.
Cinco de Mayo Celebrations
Indian Creek Plaza is having its third annual celebration with live music & entertainment, taco truck taste off & more. 5-10pm. It's free!
Downtown Nampa is having a Cinco de Mayo celebration with the Idaho Hispanic Chamber of Commerce from 5-8pm. There's a ton of different vendors & activities for all ages, food trucks, music by Lobo Lara & more. It's free!
Ballet Folklórico México Lindo is performing at Warehouse Food Hall at 5:15pm. It's free!
Casa Añejo in Caldwell is doing Cinco De Mayo: Fiesta en el Callejón, an indoor/outdoor celebration with tequila samples, performances, vendors & more.
Ochos has a special drink menu for the occasion
Payette Brewing is serving up a lime North Fork lager & mango margs til 10pm.
Split Rail Winery is doing wine cocktails from 12-7pm. Wine-a-rite, paloma & smokin' rose.
Brown Beard Brewing has Emily's Food Truck & live music from 4-11pm.
Twisted District Brew Co is doing carnitas tacos, special margs & live music.
Sponsored by Savor Idaho
Savor Idaho is coming soon
The one-day event is your chance to taste wine and cider from 30+ Idaho producers while enjoying the beautiful Idaho Botanical Garden. Balance out tastings with your own picnic, food from local food trucks or purchase a sharable charcuterie board made with local ingredients.
Spend a day with friends, quality time with your partner, or show your parents the best of Boise at Savor Idaho. Get your Savor Idaho tickets today!
Tunes & shows
Jump, Jam & Jive announced dates & info. The free, outdoor concerts at JUMP are on Tuesday nights 6-8:30pm and will happen on June 13 & 27, July 11 & 25, August 8 & 22, and Sept 5. The kick off show on June 13 is with locals Bill Coffey & His Cash Money Cousins and Boise Rock School. Also new this year, Life’s Kitchen will be providing an easy, outdoor-friendly food menu for the season!
Great Garden Escape announced dates & lineup. It's every Thursday from 6-9pm. GGE kicks off on June 15 Boise Straight Ahead, June 22 Shaina Shepherd, June 29 Afrosonics, July 6 Garrett T. Capps & Heavy Meddo, July 13 Greg Koch with The Kindness, July 20 Hillfolk Noir, July 27 Thunderstorm Artis, August 3 Tejano Outlaw, August 31 Bill Coffey & His Cash Money Cousins, September 7 Goodnight, Texas. Tix go on sale May 12.
Also Flipside Fest tickets are on sale now! It's a music & art festival in Garden City on September 22-24. Tix are $89 for all three days.
Alsooo if you like hip hop, you should def get your tix for Onyx + R.A. The Rugged Man + DJ Lala at Treefort Music Hall next week! Gonna be a hawttt show.
- TONIGHT: Thelma and The Sleaze + J. Graves + Mall Goth Moths at Neurolux
- Sat May 6: Pearl & The Oysters + Angel Abaya + Athena Garza at Neurolux
- Sat May 6: DJ Bodie at Neurolux
- Sat May 6: High Step Society at Lost Grove Brewing
- Sat May 6: Will The Circle Be Unbroken at The Egyptian Theatre
- Sat May 6: Rhodes Hull Magic Band + Dozey Dubs + Leading Lines + Jacob Merten + Neptune Moon + Scare lewis at a garage at 314 W Linden Street 83706
- Mon May 8: Church of Cash at The Sapphire Room
- Tue May 9: Felly at The Shredder
- Tue May 9: Molchat Doma at Knitting Factory
- Tue May 9: En Attendant Ana + With Child at Neurolux
- Wed May 10: The Talbott Brothers + Fox & Bones at The Olympic
Comedy & storytelling
- Sun May 7: The S**T Show, a comedy/improv/game show, is happening at Watson's from 7-8:30pm. Tix are $15-$45. 18+
- Mon May 8: Campfire Stories returns the Modern! Jodeen Revere, Lily Yasuda, Heidi Kraay will be reading starting at 7pm.
- Weekly comedy open mics: Mondays at Mad Swede (Cole Road), sign ups 7:30pm/start 8pm. Thursdays at Mad Swede (Downtown), online sign ups, starts at 8pm. Saturday at Mad Swede (Downtown), sign ups 10:30pm, start 11pm.
Food finds & things to drink
- Did y'all know we have a bagel food truck?!
- New coffee shop alert: Pine Coffee Supply is open & having a grand opening next Sat May 13. It's in the former Txikiteo at 175 N 14th St in downtown Boise.
- Sun May 7: Ben's Lemonade Stand 4 the IHS is happening at 12384 W. Camas Dr. Boise, ID 83709 from 12-4pm. Ben is a local cutie who loves cats & has raised over $2k for the Idaho Humane Society in the past 4 years! So cute. He will be serving fresh squeezed lemonade, lavender lemonade & they have homemade dog treats too. Help Ben reach his goal of raising $2k for the Idaho Humane Society!
- Sun May 7: SquawkyFest is happening at the Old Idaho Pen. Squawky was an alcohol that those incarcerated ‘brewed’ at the penitentiary. The Old Pen has asked local brewers to create their own "squawky" & we get to taste them all & vote who did it best! It's $20 and goes 12-5pm. 21+
- Tue May 9: It's Tasting Night at Telaya. Taste five Telaya wines paired with a grazing box from Roots Zero Waste Market. Tix are $15.
- Next Sat May 13: The Southern Idaho Food Truck Feastival is happening at Boise Hawks Stadium. 30+ food trucks in one spot! It sold out last year so get your tix while ya can. You can also volunteer!
Things to do
- Go check out our newest trail! Hawkins Reserve is a new 5.7-mile directional trail off Bogus Basin Road.
- TONIGHT: United Way 3rd Annual Pack the Pantry is happening tonight. Gather food for local teens! Bring backpack-friendly snacks to 3100 S Vista Ave from 4:30-6pm.
- Th-Sun May 4-7: Ballet Idaho is performing Swan Lake. There's multiple showtimes throughout the weekend. Tix are $44-$83.
- Fri-Sun May 5-7: Go see the final weekend of The Odd Couple at Eagle Theatre Company, a new community theatre in Eagle. Tix are $22 and there's multiple performance times over the weekend.
- Fri May 5: Hike + Hops is happening at 6pm. Go for a guided hike then enjoy a local beer! It's $10
- Sat May 6: Need some plants? Hit up the UI Plant Sale from 9am-12pm & get something grown by Ada County Master Gardeners! BUGS Annual Plant Sale is also happening from 11am-1pm.
- Sat May 6: The Schick-Ostolasa Farmstead is opening for the season. You can read learn more about it in our story, 100 years of history hiding in Hidden Springs - it's a good one! The farmstead's opening day will include tours, reenactments, dedications & more. It's free!
- Sat May 6: Bogus Basin is throwing a aMAYzing 100" Party for the season closer. They 354" of snow up there this year - crazy! It's open to all season passholders & lift tix are available for purchase.
- Sat May 6: The Experience Idaho Expo is happening at Expo Idaho. Shop 100+ vendors, Idaho apparel, art, crafts, food & more. Free admission!
- Sat May 6: Join USA Dance Boise for a Foxtrot lesson & social dance from 7-10:30pm. It's at Boise Square Dance Center and admission is $10.
- Sat-Sun May 6-7: The Beltane Fantasy Festival is happening at Expo Idaho from 10am-6pm. It's a celebration of mythology from around the world.
- Sun May 7: There's a mini market happening at Broadcast Coffee downtown with Kate Dylan, No New Vintage, Thread Honey & Ferio.
- Next Sat May 13: Join Putts for Pups, a golf scramble for the Idaho Saint Bernard Rescue, is happening at River Birch Golf Course. Must register in advance.
Just trust me...
Thanks for reading!
With love from Boise,
Click here to read & share this story!
Love this newsletter? I'm so glad! You can keep it going by supporting it here.