TONIGHT is First Thursday in Downtown Boise is happening 5-9pm. Per usual, a few things I'm excited about:
- The Basque Market has new summer pintxos and slushy sangria. Also paella served at 6pm until its gone!
- The Basque Museum has new exhibits, free admission & free wine tastings.
- Guru Donuts & Mad Swede Brew Hall are doing a lil collab tonight - buy a Sunstone Hazy IPA & get free donut holes.
- Re-Pop Gifts is doing spooky art & horror merch! My kind of event.
- SHIFT Boutique has a tag sale. Oooh boy.
- Banana Ink has a big sale, raffle, and free beer. Say less.
- Fluff Hardware is having its grand opening for the new store on Idaho Street & doing BOGO jewelry! Some of my all-time fave earrings are form Fluff <3
- Art Source Gallery has a cool photo exhibit with photography Amy McRae called Haunting Beauty, which explores the Lonaconing Silk Mill. The last intact silk mill in the United States, Lonaconing closed in 1957 so suddenly that everything was left in place.
- Also there is live music all around downtown tonight!
- See all events at downtownboise.org/events/first-thursday
FRIDAY: First Friday in Garden City is happening tomorrow starting at 5:30pm. Stroll around GC and visit artists in their studios, see new murals, & more! The best way to see what is going on & where is this map. Click the icons to see what is happening.
TONIGHT: Filmfort's Microdose Film Series is back! Starting at 7pm, enjoy an hour of short films followed by a Q&A with one of the film directors.
Take your mind on summer vacation & join a card shark in a tense negotiation at a pizza shop, a young girl’s determination to lasso her first crush, three friends trying to have a summer of chill, animations that explore a nail salon workplace and one woman’s private bathtub experience, & other wild journeys.
Recommended for audiences 16+. Tix are $10 at The Flicks.
Sponsored by Derluj
When you need a great gift...
...go to Derluj! Located on the Boise Bench at 701 S Latah, Derluj has cards, candles, jewelry, chocolate, vintage clothing, purses, hats & more. Whether you're shopping for bday, anniversary, new baby, or just treating yourself, you'll find something to loveee at Derluj.
Want to see your business or event featured? Sponsor a newsletter!
Tunes & shows
FYI: The Flipside Fest lineup dropped this week! I'm suuuper excited for Automatic (listen), Dehd (listen), L'eclair (listen), The Moss (listen) & Moon's Owl Mages (listen - I saw them recently & it was soo good! A newish local bands that of young guys that absolutely rip! Rock fans will love). Here is the Flipside Fest playlist for your listening pleasure.
Tonight: If you like funk and Afrobeat, you gotta go see Kaleta & Super Yamba Band (listen to this jam) at the Idaho Botanical Garden. In the 80s & 90s, Kaleta played guitar for Fela Kuti, who is *the* creator of Afrobeat. Pretty cool show for Boise imo.
This weekend: On Friday, go catch hip hop shows at The Knit or catch indie rockers Death Bells (listen) with locals Blix (listen) at Neurolux. Saturday, go see local rockers Ealdor Bealu (listen) at The Shredder or go dance at the Mizu Party at the Reef. Never miss a Sunday show - chill out with folk band Florist (listen) at KIN, groove with indie rock band Loving (listen) at Neurolux, or rock with Show Me The Body (listen - also they just went viral for launching this fan off stage lol).
See more upcoming shows at fromboise.com/shows
- Th Aug 4 @ 6pm: Kaleta & Super Yamba Band at Idaho Botanical Garden
- Th Aug 4 @ 8pm: Angel Du$t + Soul Blind + Webbed Wing at The Shredder
- Th Aug 4 @ 8pm: Nitty Gritty Dirt Band at The Egyptian Theatre
- Fri Aug 5 @ 4:30pm: Sharon Van Etten + Angel Olsen + Julien Baker at Idaho Botanical Garden
- Fri Aug 5 @ 6:30pm: Rhymewave 2022 Hip Hop Festival at Knitting Factory
- Fri Aug 5 @ 8pm: Death Bells + Niis + Blix at Neurolux
- Sat Aug 6 @ 7pm: Sorcia + Ealdor Bealu + Voidstrider at The Shredder
- Sat Aug 6 @ 7pm: Darrell Scott at Visual Arts Collective
- Sat Aug 6 @ 8pm: Mizu Party at The Reef
- Sun Aug 7 @ 7pm: Florist + Marc Merza at KIN
- Sun Aug 7 @ 7:30pm: Loving + Sam Burton at Neurolux
- Sun Aug 7 @ 8pm: Show Me The Body + WiFiGawd at The Shredder
More upcoming shows: fromboise.com/shows
Comedy & storytelling
- Fri Aug 5: Skate comedian Taylor Clark is at Push & Pour in Garden City. Tix are $10 and it starts at 8pm.
- Fri Aug 5: Loose Screw Brewing is hosting an Oregon Takeover Dinner & Comedy Night. Tix are $25 & includes din. Starts at 8pm, doors at 7pm.
- Sat Aug 6: See the Game Changer Improv Comedy Show at Treasure Valley Children's Theater. Tix are $12adv/$15door. It's all ages but recommended for ages 10+. Starts at 7pm!
- Sat Aug 6: The Stand Up Strip Down Body Positive Comedy Show is at Lounge at the End of the Universe. See comedians Sara Raffaella, Tina Townes, Krystal Moore, & Emmanuel Vera. Tix are $20, starts at 9pm & it's 21+.
- Sat Aug 6: Nice! Cool Beans! Comedy Show is happening at Mad Swede Brew Hall with Austin Von Johnson and Bree Jones. Tix are $12adv/$15door and starts at 7pm.
- Mon Aug 8: Bloom: A Reading Series is happening at Idaho Botanical Garden from 6-7:30pm. Hear readings from Ryan Marsh, Meredith Higgins, and Tomas Baiza. Byo blanket, low chair & picnic!
Food finds & things to drink
- TONIGHT: Chef Gee has his sushi bus at Mother Earth Tap House tonight. Some of the best sushi in Boise.
- TONIGHT: Hyde Park Fine Wines is hosting Terroir Supper Club, a seasonal three-course family-style meal. Tix are $65.
- Fri Aug 5: Anthony's Restaurant is hosting a Shucking Good Time in honor of National Oyster Day. Eat some fresh oysters or participate in the Oyster Slurp Contest at 5pm 😬
- Sat Aug 6: Take a fermentation workshop with Yum Nutrition at Vervain Collective. It's $30 and goes 3-4pm.
- Sat Aug 6: Do you have a Saint Bernard? Bring it to Pups & Suds at Payette Brewing on Saturday. It's an informal meetup with Idaho Saint Bernard Rescue to hang out & meet other people with gigantic dogs.
- Tue Aug 9: Lost Grove Brewing is celebrating Smokey the Bear's 78th bday & doing a fundraiser for the Wildland Firefighter Foundation.
Things to do
- City Cast Boise recommends taking the Boise Public Library survey & give your input on what values & services the library should prioritize, as well as how its existing services have been working.
- Fri Aug 5: Little Shop of Horrors kicks off at Idaho Shakespeare Fest and will run through August 27.
- Fri Aug 5: Learn to make candles with Lisa Muraski at The Fix Nutrition & Energy. It's $45 or $80 for 2 tix & includes all materials. Only 15 spots available.
- Fri-Sat Aug 5-6: Kuna Days 2022 is happening allll over Kuna. Live music, food & beer, movie night, exhibits for kids, fun run, pet costume contest, cornhole tournament, fireworks & more.
- Sat Aug 6: Head to Surel's Place for Gibson + Recoder: Perforated Light. Sounds really cool. Open for viewing 11am-2pm & artist talk starts at 2pm.
- Sat Aug 6: North End Organic Nursery is hosting a container garden workshop. It's free but limited space so reserve a spot asap. 3-4pm.
- Sun Aug 7: End your weekend with Sunday Yoga on the Mountain at Bogus Basin. It's free! Byo mat/blanket/towel.
- Tue Aug 9: Send your kids (age 5-8) to Ooey Gooey Science Camp at Children's Museum of Idaho.
- Tue Aug 9: Nourish Your Baaaaahdy with an outdoor yoga class on a goat farm (!), a seasonal farm to fork dinner & cocktails/mocktails. Tix are $50 and starts at 6pm.
Just trust me...
I don't even know what is going on here lol.
Thanks for reading!
With love from Boise,
Love reading From Boise? I'm so glad! Please consider supporting our work by sending us a lil tip or even signing up for a $5/month donation. That's only $0.62 per newsletter! Thanks <3