In partnership with The Modern Hotel
Don't skate through the holidays, walk through the holidays... in really nice shoes. Join the Modern Hotel & Bar for a Schitt’s Creek-style party on Dec 17 to kick off the Rosebud Motel Staycation Package for stays during Dec 17-30.
The Rosebud Motel Package is available to book Dec 4-29, but From Boise readers get first dibs & can book the package starting today, Dec 1! (Snag a suite while ya can - there's only 4 available.) This very special offer includes: 20% off room rate, in-room cocktails & snacks, a $50 bar gift card, and a dinner reservation. On Dec 17, guests also get entry to the Schitt's Creek themed holiday party from 5pm-12am & cinnamon rolls with complimentary breakfast. You can't say ew, David to that, now can you?
Book your Rosebud Motel Staycation Package now!
Bogus Basin is open
Bogus Basin is starting up daily operations today! Also we've had 18in of snow up there in the past 72 hours - woo. The road is being plowed, but as always, be careful & take your time!
Starting today Bogus will be open 10am-4:30pm. Night operations start next week on Friday, Dec 9.
First Thursday & Friday
TONIGHT is First Thursday in downtown Boise. There's lots of holiday events happening all around downtown from 5-9pm.
TOMORROW is First Friday Art & studio Stroll in Garden City. You can click around this interactive map to see all the events & locations. There's some really cool murals, installations & large-scale projections taking place.
Countdown to Christmas
23 days until Christmas eve, y'all. And there's are a lotttt of ways to get yourself in the holiday spirit:
- Handmade Idaho now has a brick & mortar store open in Boise Towne Square Mall! Located at 350 N Milwaukee St, Space 1141 & open at 11am every day.
- TONIGHT: Boise State University's annual Tree Lighting & Winter Gathering is from 4-6 pm on the quad.
- TONIGHT: Boise State Music Family Holiday Concert is happening at 7:30pm at The Morrison Center.
- TONIGHT: Barbarian Brewing in GC has a new xmas beer & a Holiday Pop Up Market tonight from 5-8pm.
- Th-Sun Dec 1-4: The Ultimate Christmas Show (abridged) by Reed Martin & Austin Tichenor is kicking off at Stagecoach Theatre. There's also two more weekends after this one.
- Th-Sun Dec 1-4: There's a Community Drive-Thru Live Nativity at 16989 Highway 20/26 in Caldwell. It's free!
- Fri Dec 2: Christmas in Meridian Winter Lights Parade & Christmas Tree Lighting kicks off at 7pm. Watch The Grinch Who Stole Christmas then enjoy the floats on Main Street, visit Santa & see the lighting of the Community Christmas Tree.
- Fri Dec 2: The Bown Crossing Mix & Mingle starts at 4pm. Lots of holiday shopping specials!
- Fri Dec 2: Join the Holiday Wreath Workshop at JUMP. It's $40 & includes all materials for wreath making. 7-9pm.
- Fri-Sat Dec 2-3: Go see the Live Nativity at the Meridian Idaho South Stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It's free & goes 6-9pm both day. Free hot coco & cookies, & meet Clyde the Camel!
- Sat Dec 3: The Boise Holiday Parade in downtown Boise kicks off at 10am.
- Sat Dec 3: Sockeye Holiday Market is 10am-4pm at the Sockeye Brewing on Fairview.
- Sat Dec 3: The Krampusnacht Festival is happening 11am-5:30pm at The Creative Space in Garden City. Browse venfors & meet Krampus. It's free!
- Sat Dec 3: The 30th annual Boise Tuba Christmas performance is happening at 4pm on the Capitol steps.
- Sat Dec 3: The Eagle Country Christmas is happening 1-6pm in Heritage Park in downtown Eagle. There's a market, music, kid activities & of course, Santa.
- Sat Dec 3: The 19th Annual Treasure Valley Night Light Parade kicks off at 6pm in downtown Caldwell.
- Sat Dec 3: Hip Holiday Craft Market has 35+ artists & markers at Flying M Garage in Nampa from 9am-5pm. Free!
- Sat Dec 3: Boise Philharmonic is performing Holiday Pops twice on Saturday, at 1pm & 7:30pm at The Morrison Center.
- Sun Dec 4: Eguberriko Azoka - Basque Christmas Market is happening from 11am-4pm on the Basque Block.
- Sun Dec 4: NNU's Noel Christmas Concert is happening at 3pm at the Brandt Center in Nampa. Tix are $3-$20.
- Get your tix: Take the fam to watch The Polar Express at the Nampa Train Depot next Sat Dec 10. It's $25 & limited to 30 people.
- Get your tix: Ballet Idaho's The Nutcracker starts next Friday, Dec 9 and goes through Dec 18. It's so amazing & magical.
Sponsored by Duck Club Boise
Cold weather, hot shows
One of the best ways to keep warm this winter is at a Duck Club show!
This Saturday, Dec 3 catch hip hop with a live band at Oddisee & Good Compny at Neurolux & dreamscape rockers Wild Pink at The Shredder (all ages). Then on Sunday, Dec 4 catch punk rockers Kadabra + Spoon Benders at Neurolux, or hop over to folk duo Dead Horses at The Olympic. And don't miss the synth-heavy soundtrack of Magic Sword & El Ten Eleven at the iconic El Korah Shrine next Tuesday, Dec 6.
Find more upcoming Duck Club shows here. See ya out there!
Tunes & shows
There's a Sofar Sounds show this weekend! In case you aren't familiar, Sofar Sounds are "secret shows" where you buy a ticket knowing only the date, then you find out the location & bands day of the show. Check it out.
- TONIGHT @ 6pm: Starbelly Dancers at The Sapphire Room
- Fri Dec 2 @ 7pm: Aaron Golay & The Original Sin at The Sapphire Room
- Fri Dec 2 @ 8pm: The Soft Moon + Nuovo Testamento at The Olympic
- Fri Dec 2 @ 9:30pm: Nancy, a queer dance party, at The Neurolux
- Sat Dec 3 @ 8pm: Wild Pink + Trace Mountains + Nick Delffs at The Shredder
- Sat Dec 3 @ 8pm: Oddisee & Good Compny + Eleven & Jason D at Neurolux
- Sun Dec 4: Kadabra + Spoon Benders + Ealdor Bealu at Neurolux
- Sun Dec 4: Dead Horses + Jesse Blake Rundle at The Olympic
- Tue Dec 6 @ 7pm: Magic Sword + El Ten Eleven + Mylets at El Korah Shrine
Comedy & storytelling
- TONIGHT: The Brew Haha Comedy Open Mic is at 8pm at Mad Swede Brew Hall. It's free!
- TONIGHT: Kevin Hart is at Ford Idaho Center. Tix start at $45 & show starts at 8pm.
- Fri Dec 2: The HE-larious Comedy Show is happening at Mad Swede Brew Hall at 7pm. Tix are $20.
- Sat Dec 3: A Very Potter Christmas Comedy Show is happening at Recycled Minds Comedy at 8pm. Tix are $5-$12.
- Sat Dec 3: Comic of the Month, Boise's monthly comedy competition, is back at Mad Swede Brew Hall. Comedians Jack Wheeler, DD Bauer, Henry Stoddard, Andrea Wilson, Kyle Holbrook, and Ian Yearsly will battle for $100. Tix are $15 adv/$20 door & show starts at 9pm.
- Sat Dec 3: Nice! Cool Beans! Comedy Duo is at Mad Swede Brew Hall at 7pm. Tix are $12-$40.
- Sun Dec 4: Want to break into professional comedy? Take the 3 Keys to Comedy Workshop with Bree Jones. It's a 3hr workshop & costs $75.
- Wed Dec 7: ComedySportz improv comedy show is happening at The Sapphire Room. Tix are $15.
Food finds & things to drink
- Mad Swede Brewing has a new permanent pizza truck, Fire Giant’s Pizza Forge, at the brewery! It's official opening is this Friday, Dec 2nd from 6-10pm.
- Fri Dec 2: Check out Bun Thit Nuong Cha Gio Night Featuring Lola Le at Potter Wines. Bun Thit Nuong Cha Gio is a a light & refreshing Southern Vietnamese entree of rice noodles, grilled pork & egg rolls, topped with a mixed of Vietnamese greens & the iconic Vietnamese fish sauce for dipping. Get it with wine for $23 or without for $15.
- Sun Dec 4: Rolling Hills Winery is having an Open House & Ugly Sweater Christmas Party from 12-5pm. Live music, great food & paired wine & more. It's free!
- Tue Dec 6: Get your tix for Holiday Telaya Bites with Crisp. Five bites & wine pours for $40.
Things to do
- Fri-Sat Dec 2-3: The MK Nature Center Bird Seed Sale Fundraiser is 9-5pm, with live bird demos on Saturday at 11:30, 12:30 & 1:30pm.
- Sat Dec 3: It's Dino Day at the Children's Museum of Idaho. Visit 1-5pm & do some dino crafts & learning stations. Included in museum admission which is $10 or free for age 2 & under.
- City Cast Boise recommends supporting some of our local journalism outlets that are nonprofits or donation based, like the Idaho Capital Sun, Boise State Public Radio, and Idaho Public Television.*
- Sat Dec 3: The Boise Boulder Battle is back at The Commons Climbing Gym. A full-day rock climbing competition & there's cash prizes.
- Sat Dec 3: Bundle up & join the Downtown Boise Litter Cleanup. Starts at 10am.
- Th Dec 8: Go check out A History of Climbing in the Sawtooths and environs with Ray Brooks. Brooks achieved multiple new climbing routes in the Sawtooths from 1970-1981. It's at The Commons Climbing Gym & it's free w suggested donation. Read more about Ray here (also look at the crystal pic lol what a guy).
Just trust me...
Thanks for reading! Have a great weekend!
With love from Boise,
Love this newsletter? I'm so glad! You can keep it going by supporting it here.