In partnership with The Modern Hotel
Did you know that The Modern Hotel is mobile?!
Modern Road Trip features two beautiful RVs that are stocked & ready for your summer adventure. The "Winnie" sleeps five in three beds & is equipped with a full kitchen, outdoor stove, solar panels, a generator & propane. The "Vinnie" is an easy-to-drive camper van that sleeps two & is fully off-grid!
The Modern provides linens, cookware, camp furniture, bathroom amenities & more. When you’re done, simply return the rig. They'll take care of all the cleaning, waste & maintenance.
Reservations for 5+ day trips are open now & they will fill up quickly. Book your summer Modern Road Trip adventure today!
Vintage Road Trippin
Th-Sat Apr 27-29: Speaking of road trips, y'all have the chance to explore vintage shops & sellers around the valley this weekend during Vintage Road Trippin. It's a valley-wide event that features over 16 vintage shops, food trucks, markets & more!
Party at the James Castle House
Sat Apr 29: Celebrate 5 years of the James Castle House! Learn about the famous artist, enjoy food, live music, tours & more. It's free & open to the public.
You can learn more about the late artist and his house in my story, The Curious Life of James Castle. It's one of my faves.
Mama's Day prep
Mother's Day is in two-ish weeks, on Sunday May 14. Here's some gift ideas & things to get tix for:
Sat Apr 29: Artisan's For Hope Parking Lot Sale is this Saturday! A great place to get a gift for a mom in your life, or for yourself. Check out handmade, unique, fair trade items beautifully crafted by local refugees & international artisans from the Artisans for Hope Boutique and Dunia Marketplace. Sale is happening int he North End on the corner of N 15th Street & Hayes from 9:30am-12pm.
Sun Apr 30: Check out “Coming out of Hibernation” A Spring Curated Art Market. It's happening from 10am-3pm in the parking lot of Trailside Bakery (2919 W State Street). There will be 20+ local and regional vendors, food from Trailside and more!
Sat May 6: Mother's Day Farmhouse Bazaar is happening at Angie's Metal Art from 10am-5pm.
Sat May 13: A Mother's Day Market is happening at Indian Creek Plaza with 50+ vendors, live music & more!
Sat May 13: Mother's Day at Red Top Market is happening 10am-6pm. Live music & market goodies!
Sat May 13: Barbarian Brewing is having a Mother's Day Pop-Up Market at the Garden City brewery. Food trucks, vendors & beer!
Sat May 13: Get your tix for Telaya Design: Mother's Day Bouquet next Saturday, May 13. Tix are $55 and includes all materials for a take-home bouquet and a glass of wine.
Sun May 14: Mother's Day Brunch at Telaya Wine Co. Tix are $45 and includes a seated brunch, mimosas & quality time with mom. Limited tix, get them while you can!
Sponsored by Savor Idaho
Wine is best paired with…
…sunshine! And at Savor Idaho you get both!
Spend the day strolling through the Idaho Botanical Garden while sipping on wines and ciders made right here in Idaho. Your ticket includes tastings, a commemorative wine glass, welcome bag and fresh bread from the Idaho Wheat Commission. It's a perfect way to spend a day with friends or plan a fun day date. Tickets also make great gifts!
There’s a limited number of tickets, so don’t wait! Get your tickets for Savor Idaho on Sunday, June 11, 2023!
Tunes & shows
Some funn shows coming up! One of my fave Boise rock bands, Ealdor Bealu, is playing tonight at Neurolux. On Friday night, Boise singer songwriter Natalie Soma is playing out at Ste Chapelle Winery. And next week on Tuesday, Reverend Horton Heat (video below) is at the Neurolux. If you like rippin rock music, you'll love the Rev.
- TONIGHT: The Brevet + Allegedly at The Olympic
- TONIGHT: Tigers On Opium + Twin Void + Ealdor Bealu at Neurolux
- TONIGHT: Matamoska + Bet on Red + The Jerkwadz at The Shredder
- Fri Apr 28: DJ Why-It at Spacebar Arcade
- Fri Apr 28: Natalie Soma at Ste Chapelle Winery
- Fri Apr 28: Hippie Sabotage at Revolution Center
- Fri Apr 28: Gimme Gimme Disco at The Knitting Factory
- Sat Apr 29: Grateful Spring Rendezvous at VAC
- Sat Apr 29: Aaron Golay and The Original Sin at The Olympic
- Tue May 2: Ryan Montbleau at The Olympic
- Tue May 2: Reverend Horton Heat + The Delta Bombers + The Dusty 45's at Neurolux
Comedy & storytelling
- Fri Apr 28: Local comedian Emma Arnold is having an album release party for her highly anticipated 5th album, MYSELF, at VAC. Tix are $20 online/$25 door and it starts at 7pm. 21+
- Fri Apr 28: The Idaho Pun Slam is happening at Watson's Cafe. It's a wordplay comedy competition. Contestants draw a topic and have 2 minutes to write puns on the topic. Tix are $15 online/$20 door/free for contestants. 18+
- Fri Apr 28: Deathtrap is happening at Stage Coach Theatre. It's a classic comedic thriller. Tix are $20.
- Fri-Sat Apr 28-29: Comedian Andrew Sleighter is at Mad Swede Downtown for two nights. Friday show is at 7pm. Saturday there's two shows at 7pm and 9pm. Tix are $25 or $100 for a 4-person table.
- Fri-Sun Apr 28-30: There's two plays at Lounge at the End of the Universe this weekend: The Duck Variations by prolific playwright David Mamet + A Bench at the Edge by Luigi Jannuzzi. It's two funny, in-depth, and contrasting looks at life and the human condition. Tix are $20 online/$25 door.
- Sat Apr 29: Jack Mormon Comedy Hour is happening at The Balcony from 7-9:30pm. Tix are $20. 21+
- Sat Apr 29: The Johnson Files, an improv comedy show, is at The Egyptian Theatre at 7:30pm. Tix are $30-$40.
- Weekly comedy open mics: Mondays at Mad Swede (Cole Road), sign ups 7:30pm/start 8pm. Thursdays at Mad Swede (Downtown), online sign ups, starts at 8pm. Saturday at Mad Swede (Downtown), sign ups 10:30pm, start 11pm.
Food finds & things to drink
- Heads up: Global Gardens opened registration for their 2023 CSA! Get farm fresh veggies grown right here in Boise.
- Sat Apr 29: Are you in to spooky stuff? Then the Cara Mia: A Creepy and Kooky Dinner Seance is for you. It's an Addams Family drag and dinner show at Watson's. Tix are $20-$50 and it starts at 7pm. 18+
- Sun Apr 30: Split Rail Winery is having its spring release from 2-5pm. It's free for members + a guest or $15 for non members. Pizza available too!
- Sun Apr 30: Check out Served! Drag Brunch at Somewhere Bar. It's $15 and 21+
- Get your tix: Next Sunday, May 7, there's a Brunch Charcuterie Workshop happening at Split Rail Winery. Tix are $60 & includes all materials and a glass of wine. Fun!
Things to do
- Fri Apr 28: Go on a Macabre History of Boise Walking Tour with IdaHistory! Tix are $25 and note that this tour has adult content. Starts at 7pm.
- Fri Apr 28: Go watch Starship Troopers at The Egyptian Theatre. Tix are $10 and it starts at 7pm.
- Fri Apr 28: Boise State's Student Film Showcase is showing student work from the past year. Screening starts at 6pm on Friday in the Morrison Center Recital Hall. It's free & open to the public!
- Sat Apr 29: Check out The Young Entrepreneurs Expo at Indian Creek Plaza. Visit booths and learn about businesses run by local kids age 5-17. It's happening from 10am-2pm.
- Sat Apr 29: The Fairy & Gnome House Exhibit opens this weekend at Idaho Botanical Garden. Go see the different tiny houses & spaces created by the community. The kick off event on Saturday is 11am-3pm & there will be food, live music, magical fairy princesses & a scavenger hunt. The exhibit is up April 29 - May 29.
- Sat Apr 29: Bogus Basin is having its annual Pond Skim. Sign ups start at 8:30am & close when its full. The Skim starts at 1pm.
- Sun Apr 30: Learn some Idaho history at From Bogus to Billions: An Overview of Idaho Mining History. The talk is led by writer and historian Troy Lambert and will be held at the Idaho Museum of Mining and Geology from 1-2:30pm.
- Wed May 3: Like hunting? Go watch the Full Draw Film Tour presented by ONXHUNT at The Egyptian Theatre. It's a bowhunting film fest & starts at 7pm. Tix are $10-$20.
- Attention local filmmakers: the deadline to apply for the 13 Stories Film Competition is next Monday, May 1. The 13 Stories film comp is where Idaho filmmakers create short (4-7 minutes in duration) films inspired by true Idaho State Pen stories & inmates. It's so cool!
Just trust me...
Thanks for reading!
With love from Boise,
PS next week I've got something new for you :)
Love this newsletter? I'm so glad! You can keep it going by supporting it here.