Hello my friends! Happy November - holy crap. I can't believe we have two months left in the year... I'm not ready haha. But you know what I am ready for? The freakin' weekend. And holy smokes there is A LOT of fun stuff to do today, tomorrow and this weekend. You can listen to me talk through some of these events on today's podcast episode.
In partnership with Boise Philharmonic
Join Boise Phil for an evening of music that will resonate in your heart long after the final notes have played. On Saturday, November 11, Boise Phil will perform Beethoven 5 at the Morrison Center – the unforgettable four-note motif that has captured audiences for centuries. You have two chances to see it, at 1pm & 7:30pm.
Ready to be swept away by the symphony of the ages? Get your tickets here!
New speakeasy alert
We've got another speakeasy, people. And this one is brand spankin' new. The Alley Lounge is a speakeasy and listening lounge (like for vinyl records) located within Dragonfly at 414 W Main Street, across the street from Blue Sky Bagels.
The Alley Lounge soft opened in October, and today at 4pm is the official grand opening! Go check it out. It's super cozy. Also if you've never been to Dragonfly, it's a great place to get unique gifts and it's where I get all my gold hoop earrings.
Ski swap this weekend
Fri-Sun Nov 3-5: The Annual Ski Swap is happening at Expo Idaho (5610 Glenwood St. Boise) this weekend. In addition to kicking off the ski season, this event is a major fundraiser for the Bogus Basin ski education foundation.
The ski swap is the best place to get used ski and snowboard gear and/or sell your old stuff. There’s clothing, helmets, skis, snowboards, nordic skis, boots, snowshoes - pretty much everything you need to go skiing or snowboarding.
Admission is $5 on Friday and Saturday and on Sunday entry is free with a canned food donation or $5 without a donation. It's free for people age 18 and under.
New Boise board games
Two new Boise board games just came out! Just in time for the holidays.
There is now a Boise Edition Monopoly. It features all Boise locations like the Boise Depot, Table Rock, the Old Pen, Basque Center and more. The game is $44.99 and you can get it on the website or on Amazon, but also you should be able to get it locally. I’m working on trying to track down the local stores that have the game and I’ll update you on what I find out.
Boise OG has a new board game out called Surviving Camel's Back. They say "it's a board game about the days when playgrounds were more about survival than recreation." You can get one for $36.99 on their website or you can try one & buy one tomorrow, Friday Nov 3, at the kickoff party at Lost Grove in Hyde Park.
Espresso Martini Week
Next week Nov 6-13: Next week is Espresso Martini Week in downtown Boise. There isn't a website or anything for me to link to, so here's the deal:
- Ten bars will have a featured espresso martini.
- Participating bars are Ochos, Water Bear Bar, Spacebar, Red Feather Lounge, Whiskey Bar, Amsterdam, Press & Pony, The Mode Lounge, Albertsons Marketplace, and The Modern.
- Start at Ochos (515 W Idaho St, Boise) and get your passport, which has all the participating bars listed.
- Make your way to each bar and get your passport stamped.
- End at Spacebar with a fully-stamped passport and turn it in for a free t-shirt. (If you didn’t know, Spacebar has a print shop in the back).
Again this is not on a website anywhere, I asked around to find this stuff out. Sooo send it to your caffeine-loving friends & tell them to subscribe so they don't miss stuff like this!
Veterans Day celebrations
Veterans Day is next Saturday, November 11. However there are a few events and celebrations happening this weekend and through next week. Here's a few ways to honor our friends, family and neighbors who have served:
- TONIGHT: Go see Operatini: The Falling and the Rising at The Sapphire Room. There's a 5:30pm performance and an 8pm performance. Tix are $31-$40.
- Sat Nov 4: Idaho Veterans Parade is this Saturday at 10am in downtown Boise. It's free to attend! Wear your red, white & blue.
- Sat Nov 4: Veterans Day Cornhole Tournament & BBQ, hosted by Renteria Realty Group, is happening from 12-3pm at Merrill Park in Eagle. It's free to attend but you need to bring a gently used coat to donate to Wishes4Warmth clothing drive for veterans in need.
- Sat Nov 4: Ontario Veterans Day Parade is this Saturday at 1pm.
- Sun Nov 5: Warhawk Air Museum is having a Veterans Breakfast at from 8am-noon. Join other veterans and their families for a breakfast of pancakes, sausage, eggs, and hashbrowns. Tickets are $6, $5 for seniors and military, $4 for kids or free for kids under age 5. Also, veterans get free entry at the museum Nov 7-12!
- Mon Nov 6: Story Collider Veterans in STEM is happening from 6:30-8:30pm in the Stueckle Sky Center. Hear five personal stories from veterans in STEM. It's free!
- Fri-Sun Nov 10-12: Go see Opera Idaho's The Falling and the Rising, an operatic story of service and sacrifice. It's at the Esther Simplot Performing Arts Academy (516 S 9th Street, Boise), and tix are $30-$87.
- Sat Nov 11: Caldwell Veterans Memorial Hall is having a Veterans Day Celebration at 11am. There will be free hors d'oeuvres, coffee, tours of the hall, and guest speakers. The address is 1101 Cleveland Blvd. Caldwell.
- Sat Nov 11: Four Rivers Cultural Center & Museum is having a Veterans Day Ceremony at 11am. Address is 676 SW 5th Ave, Ontario.
- Sat Nov 18: Eagle Veterans Breakfast + Flag Ceremony is happening on Sat, Nov 18 at the City of Eagle Community Hall (660 E Civic Lane). The breakfast is free and goes 8-10am, followed by a flag ceremony from 10:30-11am.
What other celebrations are happening for Veterans Day? Please let me know if I am missing anything.
Tunes & shows
- TONIGHT: Durand Jones + Busman’s Holiday at Treefort Music Hall
- TONIGHT: Patty Griffin + Ben Goldsmith at The Egyptian Theatre
- TONIGHT: Becca Mancari + Bloomsday at Neurolux
- TONIGHT: Tanukichan + Wishy + Moon Reservoir at Shrine Social Club Basement
- TONIGHT: Snow tha Product at Knitting Factory
- TONIGHT: Stop Light Observations at The Olympic
- TONIGHT: Country Western Night at Old State Saloon
- Fri Nov 3: Psychic Trash + No Can Fly + Tommy Dirtweed at Shrine Social Club Basement
- Fri Nov 3: Whitehall + Bittermint + Neptune Moon at The Shredder
- Fri Nov 3: Playhouse at Treefort Music Hall
- Fri Nov 3: Texas Ketamine + Atheras + Suturist + Aterrima + Keep Me Breathing at Knitting Factory
- Fri Nov 3: Cliffdiver + Sunsleeper + Glacier Veins at The Olympic
- Sat Nov 4: St. Terrible + Endless Atlas + Wend at Neurolux
- Sat Nov 4: Leisure Hour + Blankslate + Strangelily + Ghost Beach at Shrine Social Club Basement
- Sat Nov 4: Dave Stamey at The Sapphire Room
- Sat Nov 4: Ivan Cornejo at Revolution Center
- Sun Nov 5: Jonas Brothers at Idaho Center
- Mon Nov 6: Drunks With Guns + Flesh Narc + Nuppeppo at Shrine Social Club Basement
- Mon Nov 6: Cam Cole + Arthur Buezo at 9th Street Parallel
- Mon Nov 6: Dark Dazey + Leading Lines + McKenna Esteb at Neurolux
- Tue Nov 7: Archer Oh at Shrine Social Club Basement
- Tue Nov 7: Margaret Glaspy + Cat Clyde at The Olympic
- Tue Nov 7: The Infamous Stringdusters + Cris Jacobs at Knitting Factory
- Wed Nov 8: Palehound + alexalone at Neurolux
- Wed Nov 8: ZZ Ward at Knitting Factory
Comedy & storytelling
- Fri Nov 3: Comedian Felipe Esparza is at The Egyptian Theatre. Few tickets left, ranging from $30.50-$63.50. Starts at 8pm.
- Fri Nov 3: Improv Insanity Adult Comedy Show is happening at Watson's Cafe at 8pm. Tix are $15 or $25-$45 if you add on dinner. 18+
- Fri-Sat Nov 3-4: Comedian Ian Stanley is at the Lounge at the End of the Universe for three shows, two of which are sold out. There's still tix for the 9:30pm show on Friday. Tix are $20. 21+
- Weekly comedy open mics: Mondays at Mad Swede (Cole Road), sign ups 7:30pm/start 8pm. Tuesdays at Hops & Bottles at 6:30pm. Thursdays at Mad Swede (Downtown), online sign ups, starts at 8pm. Saturday at Mad Swede (Downtown), sign ups 10:30pm, start 11pm.
Food finds & things to drink
- Sat Nov 4: Miss D'Arcy's Bakeshoppe is having its 9th annual Country Roundabout. You can try their pies and shop other vendors. They are also selling some of their bakery supplies. Goes 12-5pm.
- Wed Nov 8: Check out Winyl Night: British Invasion at UnCorked Wine Bar. It's an evening of wine tasting paired with vinyl records. Fun! Tix are $45 for Co-op members or $55 for non-memebrs. 21+
- Barbarian Brewing has new beers out today. A fall ale and Oh Beehive!, a beer/mead hybrid!
- The Alaskan Seafood Guys are now taking orders for home deliveries. This would be fun for a Thanksgiving alternative!
- A new sandwich and charcuterie shop is planning to open downtown next week, at 103 N 10th Street.
- The new fall menu at Peaceful Belly Farm is amazing. If you've never been out to the farm, this is your sign to go. Make a reservation if going on the weekend!
Things to do
- TONIGHT: Celebrate Día de Muertos at JUMP. Go see altars created by local families and organizations, plus entertainment, face painting, food and more. It's free!
- TONIGHT: It's First Thursday in downtown Boise and there's some really good stuff tonight! Check it out here.
- TONIGHT: Join the Poetry Writing Workshop at Idaho Botanical Garden tonight from 5:30-7:30pm. It's $25.
- Fri Nov 3: Check out the First Friday Evening Market at LA Junk Antiques (600 N Latah, Boise). There's so much cute stuff to see here. They will have a bonfire too!
- Fri Nov 3: Join the First Friday Astronomy Lecture and Stargazing event at Boise State. It's in the Liberal Arts Building (LART), room 106, at 7:30pm. It's free & open to the public!
- Sat Nov 4: Go see a movie at The Egyptian! Singin' in the Rain (1952) is at 11am, Pokémon Detective Pikachu is at 2pm, The Wedding Singer is at 5pm, and V for Vendetta is at 8pm. All movies are $10.
- Sat-Sun Nov 4-5: Do you like cosplay? Do you like dancing? Then you need to go to Batdance at the Old Pen! It's an evening of dancing and cosplay, and it's family friendly.
- Sun Nov 5: Check out Sip & Flow in the Barrel Cove at Barbarian Brewing. It's a 60 min yoga class with a drink. Tix are $20 and includes your first drink. Starts at 12:30pm.
- Mon Nov 6: Go to the Art Talk/Exhibit: Merging Bodies & Land at Surel's Place. Artist in residence Willow Wells created a hand drawn animation to use as a large-scale projection over a panoramic display of drawings. It's at 7pm.
- Mon Nov 6: Ready for ski season? Go watch The Land of Giants (2023) at The Egyptian. Tix are $20-$40.
- Wed Nov 8: If you are looking for a holiday volunteer event, United Way is recruiting Holiday Helpers to fill holiday care packages for local kids and teens. More info here.
- Wed Nov 8: There's Bingo in the Basement of Shrine Social Club every Wednesday! Goes 6-9pm and it's all ages.
Just trust me...
me in the club these days
Thanks for reading!
With love from Boise,