Hello friends! What a beautiful day, eh? I've got a bunch of fun stuff for you today. You can listen to me talk about the fun stuff on the podcast. Or read below. Or both!
Today is the day - here's our new From Boise merch!
We created this design in collaboration with local tattoo artist Matt Laster at Boise Tattoo Company. Pretty cool, eh? Everything is unisex sizing and printed on super soft & cozy Bella + Canvas products. All screenprinting was done right here on the Boise Bench by the fabulous Mysto Screenprinting!
Here's the deets:
- We have three new styles:
- There's only 25 available in each color, so get your order in asap! Once they're gone, they're gone. And the crewnecks are going quick.
- If you order online, you can pick up your order at Wintry Market this weekend! You can also choose shipping and we'll send it to ya.
- We have a booth (Room 130, Booth #156) at Wintry Market with whatever is left of all three styles, plus stickers and pins.
|Get your From Boise merch here!|
Wintry Market this weekend
Fri-Sat Nov 17-18: Wintry Market is happening at Boise Centre this weekend! This year there will be 187 regional artists, makers, and small businesses set up in four rooms of the Boise Centre. It's one of the best places to do some holiday shopping.
Admission for Wintry Market $10 for Friday (good both days) or $5 for Saturday, and children 12 and under are free! You can buy tix online in advance or with cash or card at the door. It's happening Friday November 17th 4-9pm & Saturday November 18th 10am-6pm.
From Boise will be at Wintry Market! Find us in Room 130, Booth #156.
Treefort 2024 lineup announced
- Treefort headliner Channel Tres (listen - explicit version, fyi lol) is going to be amazinggg. You prob know this song from Insta/Tiktok.
- Disco dance duo Drama (listen) is going to be a fun one!
- Garage-rocker Ty Segall (listen) is also gonna be a fun one, if you like to headbang for fun.
- I love Devandra Banhart (listen). He's a Venezuelan-American artist making real dreamy, chill tunes.
- Powerhouse vocalist and indie icon Neko Case (listen) has been making music for over 20 years. Folk fans will love her!
- I am so excited to see UK funk and electronic collective Franc Moody (listen). Dance partay!
- One of my favorite bands ever, Dehd. This song is my all time fave, followed by this one and this one. They are so good live.
- I'm very interested in seeing Ukrainian world-music quartet DakhaBrakha (listen). This is going to be amazing live.
- I saw New York hip-hop duo Armand Hammer (listen) at Treefort 2023 and loved them.
- If you like punk/shoegaze/physc rock, you're gonna love A Place to Bury Strangers (listen).
- Jazz fans need to see instrumental trio formed by former Fugazi members the Messthetics & James Brandon Lewis (listen).
- I love cumbia music and I'm excited about cumbia fusion group Sonido Gallo Negro (listen).
- Also Deap Vally (listen) is coming to Treefort and this is their final tour ever! The queens of hard greasy rock.
Treefort also announced that Janeane Garofalo will headline Comedyfort 2024! Janeane is a stand-up comedian and actress. She's been on The Ben Stiller Show, The Larry Sanders Show, and Saturday Night Live. She's also been in more than 50 movies, with major roles in The Truth About Cats and Dogs, Wet Hot American Summer, The Matchmaker, Reality Bites, The Independent and more.
Janeane Garofalo is performing one night only, on Saturday, March 23, 2024 at the Egyptian Theatre during Treefort Music Fest. The show is included in a Festival Pass or you can buy a ticket to guarantee entry. If you have a Treefort pass, you will have first come, first served seating on the second level/mezzanine of The Egyptian. If you buy a ticket that seat will be on the first level. Tix are $35-$55 and go on sale tomorrow, Friday, November 17.
In other Treefort news:
- Treefort passes are on sale now. They go up in price with the new year.
- Here's a playlist of all the artists so far
- Update your Treefort Music Fest app to see the lineup & start "hearting" your faves
- Wanna perform at Treefort? Submissions are open for Music, Comedyfort, Dragfort, Filmfort, Hackfort, Kidfort, Podfort, and Yogafort. Submission close December 1!
- Alsooo Treefort now has pass + hotel packages. You can buy your pass and hotel room at the same time, plus you get 20% off Treefort merch! Send that hot tip to your out of town friends.
Winter recreation prep
TONIGHT: Get ready for snowy adventures at the Winter Recreation Preparedness workshop tonight at Stio Mountain Studio. Learn how to plan & prep for cold trails, camping & traveling with minimal impact, disposing of waste and more. It's from 5-7pm & it's free!
Sat Nov 18: Bogus Basin Terrain Park opens this Saturday! This is the park only, no uphill access permitted because they are still prepping for the official opening on Thanksgiving.
Tue Nov 21: Barbarian Brewing (in Garden City) is hosting a local Snowboard Video Premiere & Winter Kick-off Party! Watch classic ski and snowboard videos all night, ending with Local Snowboard Premiere of FREEDUMB. There's also ski & snowboard themed trivia, "Name That Ski Movie", and board set up races with prizes from Asana Climbing Gym. Goes 6-9pm.
Th Nov 23: Bogus Basin opens for the season on Thanksgiving day! You can buy passes online or at the downtown leasing office. You can still buy daily lift tix or some of the season passes, including the mid-week season pass (Mon-Fri), night season pass (6-10pm), or a Nordic season pass for xc skiing, snowshoeing or fat tire biking. The True Bogus pass (year round), winter season pass, twilight pass (3-10pm), and the Beyond Bogus season pass are all sold out!
Also fyi Sun Valley Resort is also opening on Thursday, November 23.
Tunes & shows
- Th Nov 16: Random Rab + INTRASoL + Psycache at The Olympic Venue
- Th Nov 16: Sydney Sprague + Wheelwright + Fastest Fox Alive at Shrine Social Club [Basement]
- Th Nov 16: DURRY + Roe Kapara at Neurolux
- Fri Nov 17: Sorry For Party Rocking at Treefort Music Hall
- Fri Nov 17: Frankie Tillo + Desolation Horse + Vermillion Sun at Shrine Social Club [Basement]
- Fri Nov 17: The New Pornographers at Knitting Factory
- Fri Nov 17: Bonehaus + Linda From Work + Rollerdome at Realms
- Fri Nov 17: J.R. & the Stingrays at The Sapphire Room
- Fri Nov 17: Various Lazy + Hand Trembler + Matt Hopper & The Roman Candles at VAC
- Fri Nov 17: Buckin' Country at Indian Creek Steakhouse
- Sat Nov 18: Freddie Gibbs + Zero at Knitting Factory
- Sat Nov 18: Left To Die + Mortuous + Mortal Wound + Street Tombs at The Shredder
- Sat Nov 18: Jeff Crosby at VAC
- Sat Nov 18: Strangelove at Revolution Center
- Sat Nov 18: Conscious Dance Harvest Ball at Lounge at the End of the Universe
- Sat Nov 18: Perreo Giving at Treefort Music Hall
- Sat Nov 18: The Bomb Pulse + Mr. Grant Olsen + Plaid Panties at Neurolux
- Sun Nov 19: Real Friends + Knuckle Puck + One Step Closer + Arm's Length at Knitting Factory
- Sun Nov 19: Frozen Soul + 200 Stab Wounds + JUudiciary + Tribal Gaze at The Shredder
- Sun Nov 19: Tylor & the Train Robbers at The Sapphire Room
- Mon Nov 20: Mandias + Bittermint + Cross Country at Treefort Music Hall
- Mon Nov 20: Jeremy Zucker + Tiffany Day + Jake Minch at Knitting Factory
- Mon Nov 20: Hexis + Midwestlust + All You Need is Kill + Hummingbird of Death at The Shredder
- Mon Nov 20: The 5 Browns at Morrison Center
- Mon Nov 20: Oryx + Ghorot + Old Year at Neurolux
- Tue Nov 21: Will Baxter Band at The Sapphire Room
- Wed Nov 22: The Struts + Mac Saturn at Knitting Factory
- Wed Nov 22: Mannheim Steamroller Christmas at the Morrison Center
Comedy & storytelling
- Fri Nov 17: Lectures By Lushes is happening a Chow Public Market. It's Ted Talks meets Drunk History, where smart people teach you about things while they drunk. Tix are $15-$50 and it starts at 9pm. 21+
- Fri Nov 17: Comedians Adam Pasi + Tory Ward are at Mad Swede Brew Hall at 7pm. Tix are $20.
- Fri Nov 17: Improv Insanity Adult Comedy Show is happening at Watson's Mystery Cafe. Tix are $15-$45 and show starts at 8pm. 18+
- Fri-Sat Nov 17-18: Comedian Ronn Vigh is at the Lounge at the End of the Universe for b2b shows on Friday and Saturday. Both shows start at 7pm and tix are $20. 21+
- Sat Nov 18: Comedian Ryan Hamilton is at the Morrison Center. His Netflix special Happy Face is hilarious. Tix are $30-$45 and it starts at 7pm.
- Sat Nov 18: "It's A Conspiracy!" Comedy Show is happening at Recycled Minds Comedy in Garden City. Tix are $15 for adults, $5 for kids. Starts at 8pm. Don't forget your tinfoil hat.
- Sun Nov 19: Comedian Ian Bagg is at The Egyptian Theatre. The show starts at 6pm and tix are $27.50.
- Weekly comedy open mics: Mondays at Mad Swede (Cole Road), sign ups 7:30pm/start 8pm. Tuesdays at Hops & Bottles at 6:30pm. Wednesdays at The Handlebar at 8pm. Thursdays at Mad Swede (Downtown), online sign ups, starts at 8pm. Saturday at Mad Swede (Downtown), sign ups 10:30pm, start 11pm.
Food finds & things to drink
- Fri Nov 17: Hyde Park Wine Expo is happening from 4-10pm. It's in the parking lot behind 13th St Pub and Parrilla. Tix are $20 at the door and gets you unlimited tastings!
- Sat Nov 18: Winter Beer Fest is happening at Lost Grove Brewing Hyde Park. Taste 30+ beers from PNW breweries. Tix are $30 and includes unlimited tastings. There's also a mac n' cheese & skewer station, plus the normal full menu. Byo cup. Also if you are one of the first 50 people there you can buy a Shade City Brewfest ticket for $30!
- Sun Nov 19: Coiled Wines Pie Competition is happening from 3-7pm. Bring your best pie & win a bottle of wine! It's free to attend & compete.
- New restaurant alert: Acero Boards & Bottles just opened on the Grove Plaza, where Lucky Fins used to be. I haven't tried it yet but it looks real good!
- New restaurant alert: I got to try Tavolàta! It's the new Italian restaurant near the Basque Block at 524 W Grove Street. This is not to be confused with A'tavola, which is over by Rhodes skate park at 1515 W Grove Street. A lil confusing but we'll get used to it! Anyway, Tavolàta is sooo good. They do all house-made pasta, yummy cocktails and amazing happy hour deals. My favorite menu items (so far) are the fried polenta and a pasta dish called Paccheri, which is prawns, tomato, sofrito and gremolata. It's *soo good* y'all. They also have great cocktails and a legit NA drink list too. Check out Tavolàta at 524 W Grove Street in downtown Boise.
Things to do
- TONIGHT: The Village at Meridian Tree Lighting + Santa Arrival is tonight at 6pm. Enjoy live music from The Orale Band, fire dancing, holiday crafts, holiday friends including the man himself, Santa. It's free!
- TONIGHT: Go see Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse with a full orchestra, band, and turntables live on stage! It's at the Morrison Center at 7:30pm. Tix are $58.50-$88.50.
- Fri Nov 17: Go see Death at the Disco: A 70's Drag & Burlesque Show at The Balcony. Tix are $10-$120 depending on seating choice. Starts at 7pm. 21+
- Fri-Sun Nov 17-19: The Canyon County Christmas Show is happening all weekend at Ford Idaho Center in Nampa. Opens at 11am each day. Admission is $5, $4 for seniors and free for kids 12 and under. Free parking too!
- Sat Nov 18: Join Make Good Cheer: Holiday Cards as Mail Art workshop at Surel's Place. Learn to make mail art, postcards, or other postal correspondence with artist-in-residence Mary Welcome. It's $35.
- Sat Nov 18: Cranksgiving, an annual Thanksgiving-themed scavenger hunt on bicycles, is happening Saturday. Costumed teams of cyclists ride around town gathering all the items necessary to fill Thanksgiving food boxes. The boxes go to St. Vincent De Paul for distribution to Treasure Valley families in need. If you want to participate you need to register here.
- Sat Nov 18: Join Yogis Friendsgiving Half Day Event with Lydia Miller and Megan Aaron at Coiled Wines. It's $75 for a movement class, eats, gratitude & wine.
- Sat Nov 18: Join the Bird Photography field trip in Kathryn Albertson Park. It's for beginner and intermediate photographers and it's free! Must register in advance.
- Sat Nov 18: Celtic Holiday, a holiday performance by Irish Dance Idaho, is happening this Saturday at the Nampa Civic Center. There's two shows at 2pm and tix are $17 or 7pm and those tix are $26.
- Sat Nov 18: Looking to make friends? Go to Speed Friending at the Linen Building! There will be cool people, cool art, and food trucks. 7-9pm. 18+
- Sun Nov 19: Go see the Grand Kyiv Ballet's Swan Lake at Morrison Center. Tix are $50-$95 and it starts at 7pm.
- Mon Nov 20: Go see a musical movie! The Egyptian Theatre is showing Mary Poppins (1964) Sing-A-Long at 11am, The Greatest Showman Sing-A-Long at 3:30pm, Hairspray (2007) at 6:30pm, and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band at 9pm. Tix are $10 for adults or $7 for kids.
- Tue Nov 21: More movies to see! The Egyptian Theatre is showing Dark Crystal (1982) at 11am, The Neverending Story at 1:30pm, The Princess Bride (1987) at 4pm, and The Mummy (1999) at 7pm. Tix are $10 for adults or $7 for kids.
- Wed Nov 22: Even more movies to see! The Egyptian Theatre is showing Shrek (2001) at 11am, Beethoven (1992) at 1:30pm, Happy Gilmore at 4pm, and Grumpy Old Men at 6:30pm. Tix are $10 for adults or $7 for kids.
Just trust me...
Local pizza reddit thread! My go tos are Spitfire, Americana, Black Moon, Front Door and Wylder 🍕
Thanks for reading!
With love from Boise,