Harvest & Oktoberfests
TONIGHT: The 8th Annual Salsa Festival is happening at North End Organic Nursery from 5-7:30pm. Sample locally made salsa, enjoy live tunes, drinks & tamales. It's free!
TONIGHT: Boise Co-op Harvest Festival is happening at the North End & Village locations from 5-8pm. Lots of local vendors & fresh local food & it's free!
TONIGHT: Bohemian Fall Equinox is happening 4-9pm at Bohemian Bloom & Herb Farm. Vendors, food, drinks & fall festivities. It's free!
Th-Sun Sept 22-25: Franz Witte is hosting a 4-day Fall & Gourd Festival. Go do arts & crafts, take a class, enjoy live music, food trucks & more. It's free!
Fri-Sat Sept 23-24: Das Alpenhaus Delikatessen's Oktoberfest is happening Friday & Saturday from 3-10pm. If you've never been, Alpenhaus is our local German deli & it's absolutely amazing. This fest will have very authentic German food, beer, wine & cider, live music & fun. Free to attend!
Sat Sept 24: Old Boise Oktoberfest is happening on 6th and Main from 2-9:30pm. There will be German food, lots of beer, games, live music & a. kid's zone. All ages and free to attend! If drinking then it's $30 which includes your mug and first beer, beer are $6 each.
Sat Sept 24: Hops & Crops Festival is happening at Indian Creek Plaza in Caldwell from 1-5pm. Take a bus tour to local hop farms, learn about how beer is made & sample local beers. It's free!
Sat Sept 24: Join the ¡Fiesta! Celebrating Idaho’s Hispanic Heritage at Idaho State Museum. Enjoy music, food, art & performances from 12-5pm. It's free!
Sat Sept 24: Fiber Frolic, a festival celebrating Idaho wool, sheep & Basque history, is happening on the Basque Block from 10am-4pm. Enjoy vendors, educational events, and a community yarn-bombing installation. It's free!
Sat Sept 24: Flywheel Fest is happening at JUMP from 4-8pm. It's an agricultural fest filled with old-fashioned games, food trucks, rides, animals, music, & prizes. It's free!
Sat Sept 24: Star Fall Festival is happening from 10am-3pm at Hunter Creek Sports Park in Star. It's the first one! Enjoy a car show, cornhole tourney, vendors, axe throwing and much more. It's free!
Sun Sept 25: The 13th Annual Old Time Farm Day is happening in Hidden Springs from 12-4pm. See reenactments of 1860s farm life, food, lawn games, kid's activities, and tour the historic Schick-Ostolasa Farmstead (also read our story about the farm, it's really good.)
Catch ya on the Flipside
Flipside Fest is this weekend, Friday Sept 23-Sunday Sept 25 in Garden City. It's an all-ages, outdoor, music & mural festival happening in multiple venues throughout GC! There's 80+ bands, live murals, talks, performances, food, a market & more. You can buy 3-day or single day passes, and kids 4 and under are free.
My must see list for shows below. Peep the schedule here.
- If I was only able to see one show, I'd see L'eclair (listen). They're a cosmic multi-instrumental group from Switzerland.
- LA's female power trio Automatic (listen)
- Funk soul fam-friendly band Monophonics (listen)
- Chicago indie rockers Dehd (listen)
- Disco pop rockers De Lux (listen)
- Feel-good indie rock band The Moss (listen)
- NFL player turned dream pop artist EXUM (listen)
- Singer-songwriter Kendra Morris (listen)
- Afrofusion group coming all the way from Ghana, Wazumbains (listen)
- Boise punks Itchy Kitty (listen)
- Blusey jammers GA-20 (listen)
- Boise punk alt rockers Plum Vision (listen)
- One of my fave Boise bands rn, Moon's Owl Mages (listen)
- Another of my fave Boise bands, VEMM (listen to this jam)
- Portland punks Spoon Benders, they are so good (listen)
- Boise's Cumbia reggae producer Lobo Lara (listen)
Sponsored by KONO Nutrition
See you this Sunday for...
Stronger Together, a wellness retreat to raise funds for the Idaho Make-A-Wish Foundation. Join the crew at KONO Nutrition at Camel's Back Park at 12pm to take on the 5k course, practice breath work, yoga, ice baths & more – all for an excellent cause.
ALL proceeds go toward sending Hailey to meet her fave princess, Moana, at Disney World <3 More info & Hailey's story here!
Tunes & shows
Some cool shows coming up! TONIGHT there's a really fun show, high-energy show at Lost Grove with Free Creatures + Eleven & Jason D.
Also next week, catch Trey Anastasio Band (co-founder/guitar/composer of Phish) at Revolution Center.
More upcoming shows at fromboise.com/shows
- Th Sept 22 @ 6pm: Free Creatures + Eleven & Jason D at Lost Grove
- Fri Sept 23 @ 6pm: Dueling Pianos at Twisted District Brew Co.
- Fri Sept 23 @ 9pm: Low-fi at Pengilly Saloon
- Sat Sept 24 @ 6pm: Bryce Vine at Expo Idaho
- Sat Sept 24 @ 7pm: Soul Patch at Meridian City Hall
- Sat Sept 24 @ 7pm: Boise Chordsmen 65th Anniversary Show at Morrison Center
- Sat Sept 24 @ 7pm: Incite, Hatespell, Final Underground at The Shredder
- Sat Sept 24 @ 9pm: Emo Nite at Knitting Factory
- Sun Sept 25 @ 6pm: Home Free + Maggie Baugh at The Egyptian Theatre
- Mon Sept 26 @ 8pm: The Midnight at Knitting Factory
- Tue Sept 27 @ 6:30pm: Odesza at Idaho Center
- Tue Sept 27 @ 7:30pm: Trey Anastasio Band at Revolution Center
More upcoming shows: fromboise.com/shows
Comedy & storytelling
- Th-Sat Sept 22-24: Catch comedian Michael Glatzmaier at Lounge at the End of the Universe. Show starts at 9pm and tix are $20
- Sat Sep 24: See stand-up comedian Phillip Kopczynski at Watson's Mystery Cafe. Tix are $15-$50. Starts at 6pm.
- Sat Sept 24: See the Page Master Comedy Show at Recycled Minds Comedy in Garden City. The audience makes suggestions to build a whole new world of literature. Starts at 8pm and tix are $12.
- Sun Sept 25: See comedian & podcaster Jon "Polar Bear" Gonzalez at Lounge at the End of the Universe. Tix are $29 and show starts at 8pm.
- Sun Sept 25: Comedian and teacher Joe Dombrowski is at Knitting Factory. Tix are $18-$50. Starts at 8pm.
We love you. You love us. We all love free stuff. Please help us keep From Boise free by supporting our work! You can help us by:
- Making a one-time donation
- Making a monthly donation
- Sponsoring a newsletter
- Telling a friend to subscribe
- Sharing our stories on social media
Thank you so much!! <3
Food finds & things to drink
- Did y'all know that Parilla opened a new location downtown? And it's exactly the same at the Hyde Park location, meaning lots of tvs with sports, cheap tacos & cheap good drinks. It's at 503 W Idaho Street.
- Yardarm is closing up shop for the season & goin out with a lil event. You could win a surf board!
- Sun Sept 25: Under the Table Boise has 4 seats left for dinner this Sunday!
Things to do
- TONIGHT: Re-Pop Gifts is hosting a Doctor Who Party from 5-9pm. Sounds fun!
- Fri Sept 23: Go watch The Shining at The Egyptian! Tix are $10 and starts at 8pm. Also side note: I just went to the hotel that this movie is based on (The Stanley) and it was SO cool and creepy. Life highlight.
- Fri Sept 23: Go to Pity Party, a drag show at The Egyptian. Tix are $15-$30 and show starts at 8pm. 21+
- Sat Sept 24: Watch Northwest Submission Challenge, a submission grappling superfight series, at The Egyptian Theatre. Tix are $24 and starts at 6pm.
- Sat Sept 24: The crew at Idahistory has a new tour! Ghastly, Gruesome and Grim: Boise's Most Terrible Tales Driving Tour. It runs 10am-3pm & takes you all around Boise to see the sites of scary stuff. Sounds so fun!
- Sun Sept 25: Check out Dance & Sip, an evening of dance with Idaho Dance Theatre at Payette Brewing. No experience required & it's pay-what-you-want.
- Tue Sept 27: Swing by the Fly Shop Tour at Payette Brewing. Starts at 6pm.
- Tue Sept 27: Check out Story Story Night's Slammer of the Year: BATTLE OF THE BANDS, happening at JUMP from 7-9pm. Tix are $20.
- Wed Sept 28: Do you use our local trail system? Join the Ridge to Rivers Trail User Open House! They are gathering public input on upcoming projects. 5:30-7pm at Foothills Learning Center.
- City Cast Boise has a guide to getting registered, then recommends using a sample ballot to make sure there won’t be any surprises when you go in to vote. You can get a sample ballot online by entering your address in Ada County's map to find your precinct.*
- Also: participate in this fun scavenger hunt this weekend!
Our new From Boise stickers & t-shirts drop next week! In the meantime, you can win a freeee shirt, stickers & other surprises handpicked by Marissa by entering our referral giveaway below.
Just trust me...
What do y'all think about the proposed train service from Boise to Salt Lake City?
Also happy first day of fall :)
Thanks for reading! Have a fun weekend!
With love from Boise,