Hello hello friends! Two quick things:
Next Tues May 30: From Boise's new podcast starts! The first episode is out next Tuesday afternoon, same time as the newsletter. Am I nervous? Just a lil!
Next Thurs June 1: From Boise is doing a First Thursday event at Broadcast Coffee from 5-8pm. We have some *new* stickers/merch for ya & we can meet in real life! There will be a handful of other artists in the same place doing cool stuff, like live screen printing, live music, live painting & more. And Broadcast is doing 15% off all drinks all night! It's going to be really fun! Come see us from 5-8pm at Broadcast Coffee (facing the pink tree park, 1100 W Idaho Street, Suite 105 in downtown Boise). RSVP here!
Memorial Day weekend things
Mon May 29: Warhawk Air Museum has $5 admission and they are doing Memorial Day Flyovers (subject to weather). You can see the flight plan for the flyover here.
Mon May 29: Idaho State Veterans Cemetery is having a Memorial Day Ceremony at 10am. It's at 10100 N Horseshoe Bend Road in Boise. Public parking & bus services at Optimus Park starting at 8:30am.
Mon May 29: Caldwell Veterans' Memorial Hall is having an open house. You can tour the hall, ask questions & enjoy food. It's free to attend.
Mon May 29: Star Cemetery will have a Memorial Day Service from 10-11am.
May 20-30: The Annual Field of Honor is happening at Reid Merrill Park in Eagle. 600 flags will fly as a tribute to honor our nation's heroes. Flags can be sponsored for $30 & the display is free for all to view.
Aaand a few ideas for things to do:
- Go for a foothills walk/hike/run/bike. It's so pretty out there!
- Get some sun at Lucky Peak or Arrowrock Reservoir.
- Have a picnic in a park.
- Go see Little Shop of Horrors at Idaho Shakespeare Fest
- Take an outdoorsy day trip to Celebration Park, Swan Falls area, Jump Creek Canyon, Bruneau Dunes State Park, Weiser River Trail, take a drive on Blacks Creek Road.
Summer shows are coming soooon
Boise has lots of outdoor shows in the summer. Here's what has been announced:
Tuesdays on the Creek is at Indian Creek Plaza in Caldwell at 6pm. Here's the lineup. It's free & there's a market happening at the same time.
Jump Jam & Jive is at the JUMP Amphitheater in downtown Boise on Tuesdays at 6pm. It starts June 13. Here's the lineup. It's free!
Alive After Five is on the Grove Plaza in downtown Boise on Wednesdays at 5pm. It starts June 21 with one of my fave bands ever, The Black Tones. Here's the lineup. It's free!
Neighborhood Concert Series is in different parks around Boise & happen every other Wednesday. It starts June 14. Here's the schedule. It's free! (PS From Boise is going to have a lil thing at the show at Phillippi Park on June 28!)
Thursday Thunder is at Chow Public Market on Thursdays at 6pm. It starts June 22. Here's the lineup. It's free!
Eagle Gazebo Concert Series is at Heritage Park in Eagle on the last Thursday of the month at 6:30pm. It starts tonight & it's free!
Great Garden Escape is in the Meditation Garden at the Idaho Botanical Garden & happen almost every Thursday. It starts on June 15. Here's the lineup. Tix are $12-$15 and you can add on a charcuterie box or byo picnic!
Outlaw Field are the big shows at the Idaho Botanical Garden. Here's the lineup. It starts on June 28. Tix prices vary.
Boise Baroque Orchestra has three outdoor summer shows on August 20, 27, and September 3 at 8:15pm. Each night has different music. Tix are on sale soon.
Tunes & shows
Sat May 27: The US Air Guitar 2023 Regional Championships are happening at The Shredder at 7pm. To compete you have to be 18+. It's $15 to watch. Sounds wildly entertaining.
Alsoooo do you by chance know the songs "Island" or "High" by Miley Cyrus; "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" by Meghan Trainor & John Legend; or "Tacoma" by Garth Brooks? All of those songs & more were written by Caitlyn Smith, who is playing at The Olympic tomorrow night! Video below for your listening pleasure.
- TONIGHT: Beyond The Veil feat. Lasher + Blanket Ghost + tyrus newell + Noah Before at Shrine Basement
- TONIGHT: Stef and the Groove at Heritage Park in Eagle
- TONIGHT: Locals Nite At The Knitting Factory
- Fri May 26: Caitlyn Smith at The Olympic
- Fri May 26: Hardwood Heart at Pengilly's
- Fri May 26: Mississippi Marshall at Lounge at the End of the Universe
- Fri May 26: YOB + Ghorot + Scram Signal at Treefort Music Hall
- Fri May 26: Ingested + Devourment + Extermination Dismemberment + Organectomy + BROJOB at The Shredder
- Fri May 26: Arts Fishing Club + Homes at Night + Dori Valentine at Shrine Basement
- Sat May 27: Worlds Worst + Blix + Neocentrics + No Can Fly at Shrine Basement
- Sat May 27: OIL 9 (Ambient Art Pop, Deep House, and DnB) at AI Studios
- Sat May 27: Harmonize at Lounge at the End of the Universe
- Sat May 27: Poranguí at The Olympic
- Mon May 29: Kainalu + Pink Skies + JÜN at Neurolux
Comedy & storytelling
- Th-Sat May 25-27: Idaho's Best, Worst & Weirdest Comedian Competition is happening at VAC. The three-night fest featuring stand up comedians, musically-inclined folks and burlesquers at their best, word & weirdest. Tix are $25-$30/night or $55 for the whole weekend. 21+
- Sat May 27: Mom Jokes, a comedy show for moms by moms, is happening at Volume 1 Bar & Lounge in Meridian. There's two shows, at 6pm and 9pm. Tix are $15.
- Sat May 27: Comic of the Month is happening at Mad Swede Brew Hall (downtown). Tix are $20 online / $25 at the door.
- Sun May 28: Leave Your Troubles at the Door comedy show is happening at Watson's. The audience will write down your problems, put 'em in a box and then comedians riff jokes on the spot about your problems. Tix are $15 & I think it's 21+ but couldn't find a definite answer.
- Sun May 28: Comedian Mo Alexander is doing a show at Barbarian Brewing (Garden City location) from 6-8pm. Tix are $20 online / $25 at the door.
- Weekly comedy open mics: Mondays at Mad Swede (Cole Road), sign ups 7:30pm/start 8pm. Tuesdays at Hops & Bottles at 6:30pm. Thursdays at Mad Swede (Downtown), online sign ups, starts at 8pm. Saturday at Mad Swede (Downtown), sign ups 10:30pm, start 11pm.
Food finds & things to drink
- New coffee shop alert: Hideout Coffee Co on Broadway just opened! They have coffee (obvi) & a collection of handmade & local goods. Fun! Go check em out at 1737 S Broadway Ave.
- Green Acres Food Truck Park has several different food trucks & events all weekend. The Switchback food truck park also has food trucks & live music all weekend.
- Fridays: Petite4 is starting up their Friday Afternoon Patio parties for the summer starting this Friday, May 26. From 5-8pm enjoy shucked oysters, french onion dip with housemade vinegar chips, SRF corndogs, fish sandos, salt cod croquettes and a strawberry rhubarb shave ice parfait. Wowza.
- Sat May 27: Go to Brew School with Dawson Taylor! Learn more about how to taste coffee & compare 3 brewing techniques. The morning class is at 10am (afternoon class is sold out) and it's $12.
- Sat May 27: Cactus Bar has $15 Bottomless Mimosas and Patio Games from 10am-2pm.
- Wed May 31: Join the Good Beer Matters Education Course at Payette Brewing. You'll learn about the 10,000 year old history of beer, tasting basics, regional styles & more. It's $40 for the the 90min course & includes beer tasting, of course.
Things to do
- Fri May 26: The Egyptian is showing This is Spinal Tap at 7pm. Tix are $10.
- Sat May 27: It's Dennis the Cat Day at the Old Idaho Pen. They are having a party with live music, food trucks, scavenger hunts, history talks & more. Bring donations for the Idaho Humane Society!
- Sat May 27: Go shopping at Lark & Larder's Spring Pop-Up. This week they have local vendors Pure Bliss Baking, Moonfire Vintage, High Desert Greenhouse, Kneds Art and Ascension Junkie. It goes 10am-3pm & it's free!
- Sat May 27: Catch a glimpse of what rural Idaho life was like in the 1860’s at The Schick-Ostolasa Farmstead. This weekend they are having a special event, where Fort Boise Garrison will be dressed as miners circa 1863 and demonstrate placer mining techniques with the tools and equipment from the area. It's happening 12:30-4:30pm & it's free!
- Sat May 27: The Egyptian Theatre is screening Toy Story at 1:30pm; Dead Poets Society at 4pm; and Easy Rider at 7:30pm. Tix are $10 per film.
- Sun May 28: More shopping! Lost + Found 208 is having a mini flea market from 11am-4pm at 514 S Vista Ave. Fun!
- Wed May 31: Ann Morrison Park is getting a new fountain! It's an interactive & accessible fountain, too. On Wednesday there will be a lil party with remarks from the mayor, music, ice cream from Sunset Soft Serve & pizza from Off The Grid food truck. After that, the fountain is open every day from sunrise to sunset until Labor Day.
Just trust me...
Thanks for reading! Have a fun weekend!
With love from Boise,
Click here to read & share this story!
Love this newsletter? I'm so glad! You can keep it going by supporting it here.