Hello hello friends! Two quick things:
Next Tues May 30: From Boise's new podcast starts! The first episode is out next Tuesday afternoon, same time as the newsletter. Am I nervous? Just a lil!
Next Thurs June 1: From Boise is doing a First Thursday event at Broadcast Coffee from 5-8pm. We have some *new* stickers/merch for ya & we can meet in real life! There will be a handful of other artists in the same place doing cool stuff, like live screen printing, live music, live painting & more. And Broadcast is doing 15% off all drinks all night! It's going to be really fun! Come see us from 5-8pm at Broadcast Coffee (facing the pink tree park, 1100 W Idaho Street, Suite 105 in downtown Boise). RSVP here!
Memorial Day weekend things
Mon May 29: Idaho State Veterans Cemetery is having a Memorial Day Ceremony at 10am. It's at 10100 N Horseshoe Bend Road in Boise. Public parking & bus services at Optimus Park starting at 8:30am.
Mon May 29: Caldwell Veterans' Memorial Hall is having an open house. You can tour the hall, ask questions & enjoy food. It's free to attend.
Mon May 29: Star Cemetery will have a Memorial Day Service from 10-11am.
May 20-30: The Annual Field of Honor is happening at Reid Merrill Park in Eagle. 600 flags will fly as a tribute to honor our nation's heroes. Flags can be sponsored for $30 & the display is free for all to view.
Aaand a few ideas for things to do:
- Go for a foothills walk/hike/run/bike. It's so pretty out there!
- Get some sun at Lucky Peak or Arrowrock Reservoir.
- Have a picnic in a park.
- Go see Little Shop of Horrors at Idaho Shakespeare Fest
- Take an outdoorsy day trip to Celebration Park, Swan Falls area, Jump Creek Canyon, Bruneau Dunes State Park, Weiser River Trail, take a drive on Blacks Creek Road.
Summer shows are coming soooon
Boise has lots of outdoor shows in the summer. Here's what has been announced:
Neighborhood Concert Series is in different parks around Boise & happen every other Wednesday. It starts June 14. Here's the schedule. It's free! (PS From Boise is going to have a lil thing at the show at Phillippi Park on June 28!)
Eagle Gazebo Concert Series is at Heritage Park in Eagle on the last Thursday of the month at 6:30pm. It starts tonight & it's free!
Great Garden Escape is in the Meditation Garden at the Idaho Botanical Garden & happen almost every Thursday. It starts on June 15. Here's the lineup. Tix are $12-$15 and you can add on a charcuterie box or byo picnic!
Boise Baroque Orchestra has three outdoor summer shows on August 20, 27, and September 3 at 8:15pm. Each night has different music. Tix are on sale soon.
Tunes & shows
Sat May 27: The US Air Guitar 2023 Regional Championships are happening at The Shredder at 7pm. To compete you have to be 18+. It's $15 to watch. Sounds wildly entertaining.
Alsoooo do you by chance know the songs "Island" or "High" by Miley Cyrus; "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" by Meghan Trainor & John Legend; or "Tacoma" by Garth Brooks? All of those songs & more were written by Caitlyn Smith, who is playing at The Olympic tomorrow night! Video below for your listening pleasure.
- TONIGHT: Beyond The Veil feat. Lasher + Blanket Ghost + tyrus newell + Noah Before at Shrine Basement
- TONIGHT: Stef and the Groove at Heritage Park in Eagle
- TONIGHT: Locals Nite At The Knitting Factory
- Fri May 26: Caitlyn Smith at The Olympic
- Fri May 26: Hardwood Heart at Pengilly's
- Fri May 26: Mississippi Marshall at Lounge at the End of the Universe
- Fri May 26: YOB + Ghorot + Scram Signal at Treefort Music Hall
- Fri May 26: Ingested + Devourment + Extermination Dismemberment + Organectomy + BROJOB at The Shredder
- Fri May 26: Arts Fishing Club + Homes at Night + Dori Valentine at Shrine Basement
- Sat May 27: Worlds Worst + Blix + Neocentrics + No Can Fly at Shrine Basement
- Sat May 27: OIL 9 (Ambient Art Pop, Deep House, and DnB) at AI Studios
- Sat May 27: Harmonize at Lounge at the End of the Universe
- Sat May 27: Poranguí at The Olympic
- Mon May 29: Kainalu + Pink Skies + JÜN at Neurolux
Comedy & storytelling
- Th-Sat May 25-27: Idaho's Best, Worst & Weirdest Comedian Competition is happening at VAC. The three-night fest featuring stand up comedians, musically-inclined folks and burlesquers at their best, word & weirdest. Tix are $25-$30/night or $55 for the whole weekend. 21+
- Sat May 27: Mom Jokes, a comedy show for moms by moms, is happening at Volume 1 Bar & Lounge in Meridian. There's two shows, at 6pm and 9pm. Tix are $15.
- Sat May 27: Comic of the Month is happening at Mad Swede Brew Hall (downtown). Tix are $20 online / $25 at the door.
- Sun May 28: Leave Your Troubles at the Door comedy show is happening at Watson's. The audience will write down your problems, put 'em in a box and then comedians riff jokes on the spot about your problems. Tix are $15 & I think it's 21+ but couldn't find a definite answer.
- Sun May 28: Comedian Mo Alexander is doing a show at Barbarian Brewing (Garden City location) from 6-8pm. Tix are $20 online / $25 at the door.
- Weekly comedy open mics: Mondays at Mad Swede (Cole Road), sign ups 7:30pm/start 8pm. Tuesdays at Hops & Bottles at 6:30pm. Thursdays at Mad Swede (Downtown), online sign ups, starts at 8pm. Saturday at Mad Swede (Downtown), sign ups 10:30pm, start 11pm.
Food finds & things to drink
- New coffee shop alert: Hideout Coffee Co on Broadway just opened! They have coffee (obvi) & a collection of handmade & local goods. Fun! Go check em out at 1737 S Broadway Ave.
- Green Acres Food Truck Park has several different food trucks & events all weekend. The Switchback food truck park also has food trucks & live music all weekend.
- Fridays: Petite4 is starting up their Friday Afternoon Patio parties for the summer starting this Friday, May 26. From 5-8pm enjoy shucked oysters, french onion dip with housemade vinegar chips, SRF corndogs, fish sandos, salt cod croquettes and a strawberry rhubarb shave ice parfait. Wowza.
- Sat May 27: Go to Brew School with Dawson Taylor! Learn more about how to taste coffee & compare 3 brewing techniques. The morning class is at 10am (afternoon class is sold out) and it's $12.
- Sat May 27: Cactus Bar has $15 Bottomless Mimosas and Patio Games from 10am-2pm.
- Wed May 31: Join the Good Beer Matters Education Course at Payette Brewing. You'll learn about the 10,000 year old history of beer, tasting basics, regional styles & more. It's $40 for the the 90min course & includes beer tasting, of course.
Things to do
- Fri May 26: The Egyptian is showing This is Spinal Tap at 7pm. Tix are $10.
- Sat May 27: It's Dennis the Cat Day at the Old Idaho Pen. They are having a party with live music, food trucks, scavenger hunts, history talks & more. Bring donations for the Idaho Humane Society!
- Sat May 27: Go shopping at Lark & Larder's Spring Pop-Up. This week they have local vendors Pure Bliss Baking, Moonfire Vintage, High Desert Greenhouse, Kneds Art and Ascension Junkie. It goes 10am-3pm & it's free!
- Sat May 27: Catch a glimpse of what rural Idaho life was like in the 1860’s at The Schick-Ostolasa Farmstead. This weekend they are having a special event, where Fort Boise Garrison will be dressed as miners circa 1863 and demonstrate placer mining techniques with the tools and equipment from the area. It's happening 12:30-4:30pm & it's free!
- Sat May 27: The Egyptian Theatre is screening Toy Story at 1:30pm; Dead Poets Society at 4pm; and Easy Rider at 7:30pm. Tix are $10 per film.
- Sun May 28: More shopping! Lost + Found 208 is having a mini flea market from 11am-4pm at 514 S Vista Ave. Fun!
- Wed May 31: Ann Morrison Park is getting a new fountain! It's an interactive & accessible fountain, too. On Wednesday there will be a lil party with remarks from the mayor, music, ice cream from Sunset Soft Serve & pizza from Off The Grid food truck. After that, the fountain is open every day from sunrise to sunset until Labor Day.
Just trust me...
Thanks for reading! Have a fun weekend!
With love from Boise,
Love this newsletter? I'm so glad! You can keep it going by supporting it here.