Hello friends! I've got some fun stuff for you to do this weekend, plus some holiday things to think ahead about. If you have a holiday event (or any events) coming up, please let me know by filling out this form.
Veterans Day is this Saturday, November 11. Here's a few events & places offering free meals for veterans:
- Fri Nov 10: Veterans get free entry & tours to November Night Tours at the Old Pen. Explore the prison from 6-10pm.
- Fri Nov 10: Fork is hosting free lunch for veterans until 3pm. Just bring in your military ID and they will handle the rest.
- Fri Nov 10: Twisted District Brew Co is hosting a celebration for the 248th bday of the Marine Corps, but the celebration is for all military branches. Beer, steak dinner, cake & more.
- Fri-Sun Nov 10-12: Go see Opera Idaho's The Falling and the Rising, an operatic story of service and sacrifice. It's at the Esther Simplot Performing Arts Academy (516 S 9th Street, Boise), and tix are $30-$87.
- Sat Nov 11: Brown Beard Brewing Co has happy hour for veterans & active duty military, plus live music.
- Sat Nov 11: High Desert Harley Davidson is having a Veteran's Appreciation Day from 12-6pm with free hot dogs, chips and drinks.
- Sat Nov 11: Caldwell Veterans Memorial Hall is having a Veterans Day Celebration at 11am. There will be free hors d'oeuvres, coffee, tours of the hall, and guest speakers. The address is 1101 Cleveland Blvd. Caldwell.
- Sat Nov 11: Four Rivers Cultural Center & Museum is having a Veterans Day Ceremony at 11am. Address is 676 SW 5th Ave, Ontario.
- Sat Nov 18: Eagle Veterans Breakfast + Flag Ceremony is happening on Sat, Nov 18 at the City of Eagle Community Hall (660 E Civic Lane). The breakfast is free and goes 8-10am, followed by a flag ceremony from 10:30-11am.
Turkey day is in 15 days, y'all. If you don't wanna cook (or deal with dishes), I don't blame ya. Here's some take out options:
- Big K BBQ has a to-go holiday menu, available for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's. All kinds of things from smoked ham or turkey to a full Thanksgiving dinner. Also you can get a smoked turkey tasting this weekend.
- Big Daddy's BBQ is doing build-your-own Thanksgiving dinner for pick up. I've seen this one recommended a lot!
- Certified Kitchen + Bakery has a a la carte menu with sides, soup, and pies. Get your order in by this Sunday, Nov 12!
- Boise Bistro Market is taking orders for ham, prime rib & turkey for Thanksgiving & Christmas.
- Horsewood Catering is taking Thanksgiving & Christmas orders. Last day to order for Thanksgiving is next Sunday, Nov 19.
- Louisiana's Soul Bayou has a cajun Thanksgiving menu for pick up. Deep fried turkey and cornbread stuffing, baby!
- Whitney Fredin has pies or a prix fixe dinner for 6.
- Boise Pie Co is taking orders for Thanksgiving pies. This is my go-to pie place!
- Albertson's has app and dessert trays, or a full turkey dinner for $130.
- Boise Co-op also has full dinners, sides and desserts.
Christmas is in 46 days! Here's some of the big holiday events to put on your calendar. I'll give you more info on these as the date gets closer and/or more details are published, but for now save the date for:
- Fri Nov 10: Scentsy Commons Christmas Lights Ceremony is tomorrow from 6-8pm. Lights go on at 6:15pm. It's free!
- Next Th Nov 16: The Village at Meridian is having its tree lighting & Santa will be there.
- Next Fri-Sun Nov 17-19: Caldwell's Winter Wonderland opening weekend is happening. Lights will be up through January 8.
- Tue-Mon Nov 21-27: St Al's Festival of Trees is happening at Boise Centre. Different hours & events each day, here's the schedule.
- Wed Nov 23: Winter Garden aGlow at the Idaho Botanical Garden opens & will stay up through Sunday, Dec 31.
- Fri Nov 24: Downtown Boise holiday tree lighting and opening of the *new* ice skating rink!
- Fri-Sat Nov 24-25: Canyon County Festival of Trees is happening both days. I couldn't find the venue, sorry :(
- Sat Nov 25: Downtown Nampa Christmas Tree Lighting is happening at 6pm. The farmer's market that day will be a Winter Wonderland Market from 11am-7pm.
- Fri Dec 1: Downtown Meridian is having its Winter Lights Parade & showing The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.
- Sat Dec 2: Downtown Boise Holiday Parade is happening at 10am.
- Sat Dec 2: Treasure Valley Night Light Parade is happening at 6pm in downtown Caldwell.
- Sat Dec 2: Eagle Country Christmas is happening at Heritage Park from 1-6pm. Santa, music, holiday market & kid activities.
- Sat Dec 9: Kuna Down Home Country Christmas is happening all day. There's a market and photos with Santa starting at 10am and a parade at 6pm.
And here's a few holiday markets & events happening this weekend:
- Fri-Sat Nov 10-11: L.A. Junk Antiques is having a holiday shopping party from 11am-5pm on Friday and Saturday. They will also have adult beverages and a bonfire!
- Fri-Sat Nov 10-11: Caldwell Holiday Craft Bazaar is happening at O'Connor Field House on Friday from 10am-6pm and Saturday from 9am-5pm. Admission is $1.
- Sat Nov 11: Catalyst Arts Collective is having a Holiday Pop Up from 10am-3pm.
- Sat Nov 11: Mustard Seed's Annual Holiday Market is happening from 9am-4pm. You can shop all of Mustard Seed, Robert & Wallace out front, and vendors in a huge tent. Free parking & entry!
- Sat-Sun Nov 11-12: Treasure Valley Flea Market is happening at Expo Idaho. Good place to get some unique gifts! Admission is $3, $2 for seniors, kids 12 and under are free.
- Sat-Sun Nov 11-12: Bruneau Cowboy Christmas is happening in the town of Bruneau with over 180 vendors!
- Sun Nov 12: Alternative Christmas Market, a market with local nonprofits, is happening at Cathedral of the Rockies. It's from 9:30am-1:30pm.
- Tue Nov 14: Nutcracker! Magical Christmas Ballet is happening at The Egyptian Theatre. Tix are $30-$175 and it starts at 7pm.
- Next weekend Nov 17-18: Wintry Market is happening at Boise Centre. You can buy your tix online now or pay at the door. From Boise will have a booth there!
Sponsored by Boise Phil
Peanut butter & jelly. A bushel & a peck. Cookies & milk. Symphony & coffee, anyone?
Start your day at the Boise Phil Youth Orchestra Pop Up Performance at Neckar Coffee on Saturday, November 11! Hear some great student ensembles perform traditional and familiar tunes, all while enjoying a lovely cup of coffee. The performance starts at 9:30am & it’s free! Learn more here.
Tunes & shows
TONIGHT: Record collectors & music lovers, check out Crate Diggers Happy Hour at Hap Hap Lounge. It's a new weekly, themed DJ set with host Nick Rudow & guests are welcome to bring their own records to discuss and incorporate into the DJ set, as long as it fits with the theme of the week. It's for vinyl collectors to meet others in the hobby & discover new tunes! The theme of the first edition of this event will be "Toe Tapping Grooves: Soul Jazz and Funk. Goes 5-7pm and it's 21+.
Fri Nov 10: Ready to think about a concert... next summer? Mt Joy is coming to Outlaw Field and tickets go on sale tomorrow at 10am!
- TONIGHT: The Band of Heathens + Alex Jordan at Treefort Music Hall
- TONIGHT: Aldape Bootstompers at Pengilly's
- TONIGHT: The Bright Light Social Hour + Demob Happy at Neurolux
- TONIGHT: A Giant Dog + TsuShiMaMiRe + Talon Smartt at The Olympic Venue
- TONIGHT: Próxima Parada + Moorea Masa & The Mood at The Shredder
- TONIGHT: Pigeons Playing Ping Pong + Dogs In A Pile at Knitting Factory
- TONIGHT: Adventure Club at Revolution Center
- Fri Nov 10: Scott Yoder + The French Tips + Braided Waves + Ragged Coyote Ultra at CRLB
- Fri Nov 10: Bell Witch + Spirit Possession + Possessive at Shrine Social Club Ballroom
- Fri Nov 10: The Brothers Comatose + Rainbow Girls at Treefort Music Hall
- Fri Nov 10: William Clark Green at Knitting Factory
- Fri Nov 10: Casio Dreams at Heritage Social
- Fri Nov 10: David Morris + Jake Banfield at The Olympic
- Sat Nov 11: Princess Chelsea + Kinneret at The Shredder
- Sat Nov 11: Disgo with DJ Bodie at Treefort Music Hall
- Sat Nov 11: Sun Room + Surf Trash at The Olympic
- Sat Nov 11: The Fab Four (Beatles Tribute) at The Egyptian Theatre
- Sat Nov 11: OIL 1 Year Anniversary Show at Neurolux
- Sat Nov 11: Reyes: La Fiesta Para Los Amantes De Un Perreo Bélico at Knitting Factory
- Sat Nov 11: Petty Theft (Tom Petty tribute) at Revolution Center
- Sun Nov 12: Cindy Lee + Freak Heat Waves at Neurolux
- Sun Nov 12: Story of the Year at Knitting Factory
- Mon Nov 13: Speedy Ortiz + Spacemoth at Neurolux
- Wed Nov 15: ANGEL DU$T + Candy + Mary Jane Dunphe at Shrine Social Club Ballroom
- Wed Nov 15: Radio Boise Fundraiser with Hillfolk Noir + Jonny Kunk + Bill Coffey & Curtis Stigers + Buddy Devore & the Faded Cowboys + Tater Patch at Treefort Music Hall
- Wed Nov 15: HELP + Gaytheist + Trauma Kit at Neurolux
Comedy & storytelling
- TONIGHT: Creatively is having an Anniversary Improv Jam at 7pm at Lounge at the End of the Universe.
- Fri Nov 10: The Riff is happening at Mad Swede Brew Hall. It's a improv comedy show where you give the topics and they make the jokes. Tix are $20 online or $25 at the door. Starts at 7pm.
- Fri Nov 10: Improv Insanity Adult Comedy Show is happening at Watsons Cafe. Tix are $15-$45 and it starts at 8pm. 18+
- Fri Nov 10: Comedians Eric Cole + Josh Price + Mundek are at Karuna Kava in Garden City. Starts at 7pm. It's free!
- Fri-Sat Nov 10-11: Comedian Nat Baimel is at Lounge at the End of the Universe on Friday and Saturday, both at 7pm. Tix are $25. 21+
- Sat Nov 11: Femme Fatale Comedy Show is happening at Mad Swede Brew Hall. Tix are $20 and it starts at 9pm.
- Tue Nov 14: Story Story Night is hosting HUMBLE PiE: Stories of Humility (and pie) at VAC. Hear real R-rated stories told live on stage. Tix are $17 online or $20 at the door. 21+
- Weekly comedy open mics: Mondays at Mad Swede (Cole Road), sign ups 7:30pm/start 8pm. Tuesdays at Hops & Bottles at 6:30pm. Thursdays at Mad Swede (Downtown), online sign ups, starts at 8pm. Saturday at Mad Swede (Downtown), sign ups 10:30pm, start 11pm.
Food finds & things to drink
- Sun Nov 12: Second Sunday Slay drag brunch is happening The Balcony. Waffle Love is providing brunch. Waffles, Drag, Burlesque and Bottomless Mimosas - what more could you want. Tix are $35+ depending on seating type. 21+
- Tue Nov 14: Join the Beer & Dessert Pairing Class at the Boise Co-Op in Meridian. Tix are $45-$55 and class goes 5:30-7:30pm.
- Wed Nov 15: New brewery alert! Bert's Brewing in Garden City is opening next Wednesday Nov 15 & it looks sooo cool! I love the interior & they have a cute patio out back. Address is 3577 N Brown Street, Garden City.
- Next Th Nov 16: Amano & A Succulent Day are hosting a Mezcal Tasting & Agave Workshop. There's two ticket options to choose from, both include 4 educational mezcal tastings, small bites, and a planted agave workshop. Tix are $122 or $135 and it goes 6-8pm. It's limited to 12 people! 21+
- Did you know Sockeye Brewing has brunch on Sundays at their Alehouse? Looks so good.
- New Garden City wine alert! Proletariat Wine Co's new tasting room is officially open. It's a Walla Walla winery but the owners are local! Some of my fave wine. Check it out at 106 E. 36th Street in Garden City.
Photos of Bert's Brewing, credit Bert's Brewing
Things to do
- Fri Nov 10 & 17: November Night Tours are happening at the Old Pen every this Friday, Nov 10 and next Friday, Nov 17, from 6-10pm. Admission is $15 per person or 2 for $20. Veterans get free tours this Friday.
- Sat Nov 11: Join the DIY Bird Seed Bomb Creations workshop with Wild Birds Unlimited at Idaho Botanical Garden. You'll make two winter seed bombs for songbirds.
- Sat Nov 11: Take the fam to the Kids Discovery Expo at Expo Idaho. There's jump houses, wacky kids zone, rock climbing, magic show, princess sing-a-long performances, sports activity zones, reptile exhibit and so much more. It's going 10am-4pm and tix are $5 or $20 for 2 adults and 4 kids, kids under 2 are free.
- Sat Nov 11: Boise Phil is performing Beethoven 5 at the Morrison Center. There's two performances at 1pm and 7:30pm.
- Sat Nov 11: Check out Architecture of Suspense, a night of Hitchcock film, fashion, music and Mid-Century Modern architecture at the Shrine Social Club Ballroom. Tix are $60 and it starts at 5pm.
- Tue Nov 14: KegFit has a workout class at Barbarian Brewing from 6-7pm. It's a circuit training workout using a keg! Tix are $10 and includes a recovery beer.
- Get your tix: Telaya Wine is hosting a fall centerpiece workshop next weekend on Sat Sept 18. Tix are $55 and going quick! They have a wreath making workshop on Nov 26 & those tix are going quick too.
From Boise Merch drop is coming tomorrow! And BFFs get first dibs. Everyone else will have a chance to order next week, but there's only 25 of each style so it could sell out with BFFs only. Join BFFs here.
I have hoodies in black, crewneck sweatshirt in black and cream, and t-shirts in black and cream. Only 25 of each color!
Just trust me...
Thanks for reading!
With love from Boise,
PS - Bogus Basin announced opening day on Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 23!