Well well well, a new year is here. I'm really excited for 2023 - I think it's gonna be an especially good trip around the sun. I'm turning 30 in a few months, I just got a new kitten who is the cutest thing on the face of the earth, I have sooo many good story ideas for From Boise & I have some cool other stuff planned for y'all that I think (hope) you are really going to dig!
I want to take a sec tell you all thank you so much for reading From Boise and creating this rad community. It really has become a community thanks to each and every one of you. From Boise has over 21,000 subscribers! That's more than the population of my hometown lol. It blows my mind. Thank you for trusting me to be your unofficial Boise guide & giving me a reason to write about things that make me happy and grateful to live here.
I was reading some old journals recently and found a "wtf am I doing with my life" moment. I wrote down that I wanted to write stories that helped people experience the world around them with genuine curiosity and gratitude. At the time I thought that would be writing a novel set in a wild, magical place that I love like Moab and the Frank Church Wilderness. But now I realize that it's this. That I'm doing it right now. That the wild and magical place is Boise.
Anyway, I'm forever grateful for y'all. Here's some fun stuff to do this weekend while the weather is trying to be spring:
The first First Thursday
Some fun things to check out during the first First Thursday of 2023:
- KIN is serving Japanese Karaage Fried Chicken with house made hot sauces AND they noodles & some art! Dayumm.
- Barbarian Brewing has a fresh batch of Hop Water, which is alcohol-free & super tasty.
- The Basque Market has $7 wine, 3 for $5 pintxos & paella at 6pm.
- The Record Exchange is hosting local indie rock band Neocentrics for an album release show at 5:30pm.
- Boise Art Glass is doing a create your own Paraffin Candle from 4-9pm. It's $75 for a 30min class.
- Boise Fry Co has BOGO small fries!
See all First Thurs events at downtownboise.org/events/first-thursday
Fish on & outdoorsy stuff
Fish on is what my dad says when he has a fish on the line and when his phone rings lol. But really here's some fishing events & outdoorsy stuff happening:
Fri-Sat Jan 6-7: The 18th Annual Western Idaho Fly Fishing Expo is happening at Expo Idaho in Garden City. There's an indoor casting pond, fly tying workshops, technique experts, gear to test & more. It's $10, kids under age 13 are free.
Tue Jan 10: Learn about the Golden Eagle Audubon Society at a Presentation by Cynthia Wallesz, the society's executive director. This is the organization that leads the bird walks that I post about often! It's free.
Th Jan 12: Carl's Cycle Sales is hosting an Avalanche Safety workshop at 6pm. I think it's free.
Th Jan 19: Go meet other anglers at Trout on Tap at Clairvoyant Brewing. It's a monthly social hour to swap flies & fish stories.
Sponsored by Anthony's
Kick-off the New Year in style...
...at Anthony’s in downtown Boise. For just $32, you can choose from 3 delicious surf & turf options: A ½ Lobster Tail, Scampi Prawns butterflied, roasted with garlic butter and fresh lemon then sprinkled with gremolata, or Steak Oscar, each paired with a Northwest Prime top sirloin. Anthony’s own seafood company has sourced these specialty seafood offerings & delivered them direct to Boise!
This promotion is only available Monday – Thursday until February 2. And don’t forget, free validated parking for Anthony’s is available in the Simplot Garage. Go surf & turf with Anthony's!
Tunes & shows
- TONIGHT @ 7:30pm: The Mighty Red Melons: A Special Tribute to the Highwaymen at The Sapphire Room
- TONIGHT @ 8pm: Johnny Shoes at Vista Bar
- Fri Jan 6 @ 6pm: 2nd Annual Country Music Roundup at VAC
- Sun Jan 8 @ 7pm: Casio Dreams at The Sapphire Room
- Wed Jan 11 @ 7pm: Too Slim and the Blues Saviors at The Sapphire Room
For more tunes check out B-Side Mag's music calendar.
Comedy & storytelling
- TONIGHT: The Brew Haha Comedy Open Mic is at Mad Swede Brew Hall downtown from 8-10pm. You can sign up online here. It's free!
- Fri Jan 6: Improv Insanity is happening 8-9:30pm at Watson's Cafe. It's an adults only show, 18+. Tix are $15-$45
- Fri-Sat Jan 6-7: Comic of the Year part 1+2 is happening at Mad Swede Brew Hall downtown. 30 local comics are competing over 4 weeks. Tix are $25. 7-9pm both nights.
- Fri-Sat Jan 6-7: Comedian Bengt Washburn is at Lounge at the End of the Universe this weekend. Show times at 7pm on Fri and 9pm on Sat. It's $20. 18+
- Sat Jan 7: Nice! Cool Beans! Comedy Duo is at Mad Swede Brew Hall downtown at 9pm. Tix are $15-$20.
- Sat Jan 7: The Late Night Comedy Open Mic at Mad Swede Brew Hall downtown is happening 11pm-1am, sign ups at 10:30pm. It's free!
- Mon Jan 9: The Sweet Swede Comedy Open Mic is happening at the brewery on Cole Rd by Costco. Sign ups at 7:30pm, jokes start at 8pm. It's free!
- Tue Jan 10: Check out the Couch Surfer Artist Series with Hillfolk Noir & K Morgan at Ochos. It's free! 21+
Food finds & things to drink
- TONIGHT: Woodland Empire is doing a non alcoholic beverage expo tonight from 5-8pm.
- Sat Jan 7: There's a Steak and All You Can Eat Shrimp Feed happening at O'Conner Field House in Caldwell. It benefits the Silver Streaks Baseball and the GALS Softball teams. $45 to eat and eat and eat.
- Sun Jan 8: Join the Coffee Tasting Experience with World Class Roaster Proud Mary at Slow By Slow Coffee Bar. There's two sessions: 12-1:30pm and 2-3:30pm. Tix are $50 and includes coffee class, tasting & a bag of Proud Mary beans. They better play the CCR song.
- Also I know I rave about Trailside Bakery all the time but omg look at this beautiful lil treat!
- Last but not least, Queens Trailer (at Payette Brewing) has a new veggie sando! Garlic and herb roasted portobello shroom with sun dried tomato-citrus dressed greens & lemon basil aioli - damn!
Things to do
- TONIGHT: The Balcony is hosting Zodiac New Year, a drag show inspired by the 12 zodiac signs. Starts at 8pm. 21+
- Sat Jan 7: Get ready for spring at the Gardening for Beginners workshop at North End Organic Nursery. It's free!
- Sat Jan 7: Join the Idaho Young Birders Club Bird Walk along the Bethine Church Trail. It's for ages 25 and under. Goes 1-3pm and it's free!
- Sat Jan 7: Party like its 1923 at the Roaring Twenties: A Cabaret Brunch at Watson's. Tix are $20-$35 and show starts at 1pm. 18+
- Sat-Sun Jan 7-8: The Treasure Valley Indoor Flea Market is happening at Expo Idaho.
- Sat-Sun Jan 7-8: Get some new games at the Board Game Swap Meet at Phoenix Fire Games.
- Sat-Sun Jan 7-8: Check out the Great Train Show at Expo Idaho. It will get you in the mood for next week's story ;)
- Wed Jan 11: Check out the Wednesday Movie Night at Rolling Hills Winery. This week's film is Elvis.
- Wed Jan 11: Take the kids to Afterschool Fun: Cardboard Construction at Caldwell Public Library. It starts at 3:30pm. It's free but registration recommended.
This is a new section for upcoming events that you might wanna get tickets for. Big thanks for the folks who suggested it in my survey and thanks to all who filled it out! It's super helpful. Also I appreciate your sweet comments and constructive feedback more than I can ever express. Thank you <3
- Th Jan 12: Join Hackfort Happy Hour at Trailhead. This month is featuring Boise start-up Dharma Dr. and its CEO Brad Mosell. It's free!
- Th Jan 26: SheJumps is hosting a women's wax & tune night at Eco Lounge. Learn the basics of keeping your skis/snowboard in excellent condition. Tix are $15.
Just trust me...
I've watched this 500 times. Everything about it is cute. The graceful leap. The bouncing fur. The front paws only off to the side.
Thanks for reading!
With love from Boise,
Click here to read & share this story!
Love this newsletter? I'm so glad! You can keep it going by supporting it here.