12 days until Halloween! Do you have your costume yet?! Here's a few places to get your things:
- Sat Oct 21: Boise State Costume and Prop Sale. The sale is from 10am-2pm and its in the Theatre Annex, 2611 W Boise Ave. You can shop one-of-a-kind items, props, costumes, scenery items. Amazinggg!
- Here's my story from last year, Boise costumes & where to find them, which has a list of local costume stores and a few ideas for ya.
- TONIGHT: There’s a Witchy Pop-up Market happening at Barbarian Brewing in Garden City. Shop 15 local vendors, enjoy a BBQ food truck and live music. Starts at 5pm.
- Sat Oct 21: Casio Dreams 80s Halloween Party at The Riverside Hotel
- Sat Oct 21: There's a Headlamp Climb at The Commons Climbing Gym from 8-11pm. It's $10 for nonmembers and $5 for members. Fun!
- Sat Oct 21: Go see Cabernet & Cabaret: Villains, an evening of entertainment featuring song, dance, recitation, or drama with The Boise Women’s Chorus and Boise Gay Men’s Chorus. Costumes encouraged. Tix are $25 and there's only 200 available. Show starts at 7pm.
- Sat Oct 21: The Spill: Tales of the Unexplained 4, is happening at Flying M Coffee Garage in Nampa at 6:30pm. Hear 5 min stories about people’s experiences with hauntings, nightmares, creatures and more. Admission is $3 and it’s all ages.
- Sun Oct 22: Halloween Drag Brunch is happening at The Balcony from 11am-2pm. Enjoy brunch from Waffle Love (gluten free waffles available), burlesque and drag performances, bottomless mimosas, and more. Tix are $35-$275. 21+
- Sun Oct 22: Go see some Halloween movies at The Egyptian Theater. Hocus Pocus is showing at 10:30am, Young Frankenstein is at 1pm, The Idaho H48 film festival & competition is at 4pm, and Beetlejuice is at 7pm.
- Tue Oct 24: Voodoo Cellar is showing Trick ‘r Treat (2007) at 8pm. The movie is free and there’s free popcorn and pre-movie trivia at 8pm. Btw Voodoo Cellar is at 200 N Capitol Blvd, where SpaceBar used to be.
...as in Harry Potter fans (gotcha for a sec huh), there's two Harry Potter events going on this weekend:
- Sat Oct 21: Harry Potter Festival is happening at Caldwell Events Center, 2207 Blaine St, Caldwell from 12-6pm. There’s 80+ vendors selling magic wands, chocolate frogs, Dragon eggs, temporary tattoos, house scarves, potions and other magical merchandise. Plus food trucks, live music, photo booth, fortune telling and more. You are encouraged to wear your house robes or other HP costumes. Admission is $1 and kids age 5 and under are free.
- Sat Oct 21: There's a Slytherin Comedy Show happening at Lounge at the End of the Universe at 7pm. It's a Harry Potter-themed improv show. Tix are $18 and it starts at 7pm. 21+
Tunes & shows
- TONIGHT: Michael Minelli + Tony22 at Shrine Basement
- TONIGHT: Mary Lattimore + Jeremiah Chiu at Neurolux
- TONIGHT: Mustard Service + Sitting On Stacy at The Shredder
- TONIGHT: Iration at Revolution Center
- Sat Oct 21: Robin Barrett & Coyote Kings + Tiphony Dames at The Sapphire Room
- Sat Oct 21: Miesha and the Spanks + Bone Haus at Shrine Basement
- Sat Oct 21: Blonde Redhead + Lutalo + Trippy Hearts at Treefort Music Hall
- Sat Oct 21: Billy Raffoul + Peter Raffoul + The Indiana Drones at Knitting Factory
- Sat Oct 21: 2Day Rental at Heritage Social
- Sat Oct 21: End of Dayz + All That Matters + Inflamed at Realms Arcade
- Sat Oct 21: The Garden + Show Me The Body + Deli Girls at Knitting Factory
- Sat Oct 21: Miesha and the Spanks + Bone Haus at Shrine Basement
- Sat Oct 21: Delta Sleep + All Get Out + Dying Famous at The Olympic
- Sat Oct 21: Goth Dance Night at Lounge at the End of the Universe
- Sun Oct 22: Cro Mags + Brat + Dogs in the Fight at The Shredder
- Sun Oct 22: Key Queens Dueling Pianos at Heritage Social Club
- Sun Oct 22: Guns N' Roses at Ford Idaho Center
- Mon Oct 23: Addison Grace + Madilyn Mei + Brye at Shrine Basement
- Mon Oct 23: Stuck + Plaid Panties at Neurolux
- Tue Oct 24: Acid Mothers Temple + The Stargazer Lilies + Wet Pet at Neurolux
- Tue Oct 24: Polyrhythmics + Object Heavy at Treefort Music Hall
- Tue Oct 24: Martin Sexton at The Olympic
- Wed Oct 25: Shutups + Blix + Nuppeppo at Shrine Basement
Comedy & storytelling
- Fri Oct 20: Lectures By Lushes is happening at Mad Swede Brew Hall (downtown) at 7pm. It's a funny lecture series where people teach you about things while drunk. Topics this month include Candy Panic, Electoral College, Fundamentals of Local Public Transportation, Vincent Price, and The Home of Truth and the Mummification of Edith Peshak. Tix are $10-$21.
- Fri Oct 20: Comedian Chaunté Wayans is at Lounge at the End of the Universe. The show starts at 7pm and tix are $30.
- Sat Oct 21: You're Not As Funny As You Think You Are comedy show is happening at Volume 1 Bar & Lounge in Meridian. Tix are $10 and it starts at 8pm. I think it's 21+
- Sat Oct 21: Comedian Luke Severeid is at Mad Swede Brew Hall at 7pm. Tix are $20.
- Sat Oct 21: Comedian Monica Nevi is at Twisted District Brew Co. Tix are $20 online or $25 at the door. Show starts at 7pm.
Food finds & things to drink
- TONIGHT: Ladies Who Love Beer is happening at Hops & Bottles. tix are $35 and includes tasting and info from beer industry professionals. Starts at 6pm. 21+
- Sat Oct 21: Drag Brunch is happening at Lost Grove in Hyde Park. There's a special brunch menu, beermosas, cocktails and a fabulous drag show. Doors open at 10am, show starts at 11am. Tix are $15 GA or $60 for a four-person table. 21+
- Sat Oct 21:
- New pizza alert: Chicago Fire Pizzeria is a new Chicago-style pizza place in Meridian (3004 N Eagle Rd, Meridian). It's the real deal and reviews are good so far!
- Heads up: Taste of Downtown Boise starts next week, Friday Oct 27-Sunday Nov 5! There's all kinds of specials and creative menus from nearly 50 downtown bars & restaurants, including a $12 special, social hour, and prix-fixe menus. So fun! I'll tell ya more next week but in the meantime, here's the menus.
Things to do
- Sat Oct 21: In the market for a motorcycle? Check out the Motorcycle Swap Meet at High Desert Harley-Davidson in Meridian. Shop motorcycle parts, accessories, vintage clothing & local vendors. Goes 10am-4pm.
- Sat Oct 21: Check out The Creekside Shucker: Caldwell's CornHole Tournament happening at Indian Creek Plaza. It goes 10am-2pm and you have to register in advance if you want to compete.
- Sat-Sun Oct 21-22: Check out the 208 Toys Fandom Faire happening at Expo Idaho from 10am-4pm. There's toys, comic books, Pokemon tournaments and more. Admission is $10 per day. Kids age 10 and under are free.
- Sun Oct 22: The CABI Jubilee, a celebration of 150 years of Jewish presence in Idaho, is happening at the Congregation Ahavath Beth Israel Synagogue (11 N. Latah Street, Boise). All are welcome and it's free to the public.
- Sun Oct 22: There's an evening of Flamenco dancing at Potter Wines. Stephanie Laishy and friends will be performing at 4pm. Tix are $20.
- Sun Oct 22: There's an LGBTQ nature hike to Table Rock on Sunday evening starting at 5pm. It's free!
- Have you heard about the Art Guide of Ada County? It's a full guide of all the museums, galleries, and art exhibits throughout the valley!
- Th Oct 26: Ballet Idaho - The Gathering Dark
- Sun Nov 5: Game day hang at Matlack's
And meetups I'm adding to calendar soon:
- Taste of Downtown Boise progressive eating hang
- Go check out the new Impressionists Immersive exhibit at Discovery Center
- Woodworking workshops at Woodcraft Bosie
- Coffee hang at Nomad
- Kava hang at Karuna Kava
- Beer hang at Barbarian Brewing
- Wrap presents together before xmas
- Christmas movie night
- Volunteer event that I'm still figuring out
Also we have NEW merch coming very soon and BFFs get first dibs!
Wanna come with? Join us!
Questions for you
What do you think the future of transportation in Boise will be like?
What do you want transportation in Boise to look like? More bike lanes? More bus routes? Rail system? More parking?
How do you primarily get around the Treasure Valley? Is it working for you? What do you love about traveling around the Valley? What drives you nuts about driving around the Valley?
I'm working on a story about the future of transportation in Boise and I want to hear from you! Tell me what you think Boise needs when it comes to transportation. Just reply to this email or message me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
Just trust me...
Thanks for reading!
With love from Boise,