Can we talk about the trails
Our trail system is getting f-ed up right now, you guys. Rain, warm temps & excessive use is leading to irreparable damage. Irreparable is BAD. Like really bad. It means bumpy trails, rolled ankles, bike wrecks & overall annoyingness – because it is 100% preventable.
One of the best parts about living in Boise is the access to outdoors. The foothills are so stunningly beautiful and fun and amazing. We can never ever take them for granted. It truly is all of our responsibility to care for our natural spaces, and sometimes that means not using them.
Here's my story on winter trail tips - this also applies to muddy trails during rainy weather. Please share it to help others keep our trails looking good.
Also if you absolutely have to get on the trails, go check out the Wilson Creek Trails near Marsing or go to the Owyhees (which is also probably muddy). You can also run/bike/hike Rocky Canyon Road or 8th Street, which are both butt kickers.
It's Friday the 13th
I love Friday the 13th & it's one of my fave horror films. Here's a few things happening:
Mad Swede Brew Hall downtown is doing Friday the 13th Karaoke Night with $13 specials, a costume party, 13% discounts, and of course, karaoke. It's free to attend!
If you didn't know, Friday the 13th tattoos is a thing. I could only find a few tattoo flash sales happening in Boise. Resurrected Tattoo has $50 flash sheet tats and $50 piercings if done or booked on the 13th. Skin Deceptions has $20 small flash sheet tats.
Sponsored by The Morrison Center
Incredible. Stunning. Unbelievable.
Those are just a few words that have been used to describe The Peking Acrobats, a Chinese Acrobatic extravaganza happening at The Morrison Center next Thursday, January 19 at 7:30pm.
The Peking Acrobats perform daring maneuvers atop a precarious pagoda of chairs and display their technical prowess while pushing the limits of human ability, defying gravity with impressive displays of contortion, flexibility, and control. Get your tix today!
Tunes & shows
- TONIGHT @ 7pm: Dueling Pianos at the Sapphire Room
- Fri Jan 13 @ 6pm: The Turtle Poppers at Powderhaus Brewing
- Fri Jan 13 @ 7pm: Hip Hop Night with Eleven & Jason D at Neurolux
- Fri Jan 13 @ 8pm: The Last Call at Indian Creek Steakhouse
- Fri Jan 13 @ 9pm: Bread & Circus at Pengilly's
- Sun Jan 15 @ 7pm: Charlie & The Changelings at The Sapphire Room
- Fri-Sat Jan 13-14 @ 7pm: Blues to Lose + Silverbacks at The Sapphire Room
- Sat Jan 14 @ 8pm: Zona de Perreo + DJ Fresh at Neurolux
- Wed Jan 18 @ 6pm: Lee Penn Sky + Dan Costello + Micah Deffries at Highlands Hollow
Comedy & storytelling
- Fri Jan 13-28: Boise Little Theatre is performing The Gods of Comedy. Multiple dates & tix are $20.
- Sat Jan 14: Bust out your tank tops for the Show Us Your Tats! Comedy Show. It's at Volume One Bar in Meridian from 7-10pm. Tix are $21. 21+
- Sat Jan 14: Comic of the Year - The Judges' Show is happening at Mad Swede Brew Hall (downtown) from 7-9pm. Tix are $25.
- Sat Jan 14: Go see the Femme Fatale Comedy Show at Mad Swede Brew Hall downtown. Goes 8:30-11pm. Tix are $20.
- Fri-Sat Jan 13-14: Go see comedian Craig Gass (King of Queens, Family Guy, Sex and The City, etc) at Lounge at The End of The Universe. 7-9pm and tix are $25.
- Fri-Sat June 13-14: Steve-O (from Jackass) does comedy now & is at The Egyptian Theatre this weekend. Theres a show Fri night and two shows Sat night.
Food finds & things to drink
- Tues Jan 17: Interested in cleaner wine? Get your tix for the Organic/Biodynamic Wines Class at the Boise Co-Op! Learn about organic and biodynamic wines from all over the world & lower alcohol wines. Charcuterie & fresh snacks included. It's 6-7:30pm & tix are $40 fo co-op members or $50 for non-members.
- Tues Jan 17: Telaya Bites is hosting Kismet Kitchen for a food & wine workshop. It's an informal & intimate experience with 5-two ounce pours of wine paired with five bite-size pairings. $45 and goes 7-9pm.
- Wed Jan 18: Meriwether Cider (GC location) is having a Grilled Cheese Night + Barrel Aged Flight Night. 5-8pm.
- Wed Jan 18: Go to Bingo & Beer at Hops & Bottles. It's a great time! They have tons of beer, wine, cider & NA stuff.
- Next Th Jan 19: Join Trout on Tap, a social hour for anglers to get together for a beer, swap flies, & share stories and photos of our outdoor adventures. It's at Clairvoyant Brewing from 5-7pm.
- Did you know Caldwell has a new cocktail bar, Craft Lounge? Nathan went and said food & drinks were great & the inside is really beautiful. They have a Nampa location too. Check it out!
- Have you been to The James yet? I went last week for drinks & apps & it was awesome! Food was really good & fresh. They have a massive rooftop patio & half of it is year-round. Fun spot by BSU that isn't too college-y.
Things to do
- TONIGHT: If you are a snowmobiler, take the Motorized Avalanche Safety Class at Carl's Cycles. It's free!
- Th-Sun Jan 12-15: In the market for some new camping toys? Check out Camping World, The Ultimate RV Show, happening at Expo Idaho all weekend. Free parking & admission!
- Fri Jan 13: Take a Free Hot Yoga 105° Class at True North Yoga. Starts at 4PM. Free!
- Fri-Sat Jan 13-14: Go to a hockey game! Idaho Steelheads vs Utah Grizzlies is this weekend, 7:10pm both days.
- Sat Jan 14: Spend your Saturday morning birding at Pause, Look & Listen on the Shakespeare Festival Grounds. Starts at 9am. It's free!
- Sat Jan 14: Join Surel's Place artist in residence Roxanne Everett for a drawing workshop: Sketching on Location. You will learn to sketch several locations along the Greenbelt in Garden City. It's $45 and goes 1-4pm. Ages 14+
- Sat Jan 14: Take Mungo's Movement Workshop at Global Lounge Commons. This movement/dance class is focused on how to feel more confident in your body. No experienced required. It's $25
- Sat Jan 14: Still got your xmas tree laying around? Burn it! There's a Kuna Christmas Tree Bonfire happening on Sat from 6-8pm.
- Sat Jan 14: Go to Murder by Design, an interactive murder mystery theater experience. It's at Watson's Cafe & starts at 7pm. Rated PG-13. Tix are $20-$50.
- Sat Jan 14: Go see Femme Von Follies' Obscure Orbit, a galactic fandom variety show at VAC. Tix are $20 adv or $25 at the door. 21+
- Tues Jan 17: Want to learn about Roller Derby? Treasure Valley Roller Derby is hosting off-skates rules classes for anyone interested.
- Wed Jan 18: Listen & learn about Freshwater Mussels of the Boise River. Talk will cover the City's inventory, discovery, monitoring, and conservation of the western pearlshell mussel. It's free!
- Looking to start a yoga practice in 2023? Take a class with Jillian Woods Yoga. She leads Prenatal Yoga on Mondays 6:30-7:30 pm at the Zen Spot, Postnatal Mommy + Me on Sundays from 3-4 pm at Roots Zero Waste Market, and Yoga for Women workshop 1x a month on Sundays from 5-7 pm at the Zen Spot. *
- Are you curious about caring for yourself & loved ones with natural and botanical remedies? Go to The Vervain Collective! They support the natural health community with a plant-based apothecary, a consultation & treatment room, & shared meeting area. Check out Vervain Collective inside Roots Market.*
- Next Th Jan 19: The Field to Fork Festival is happening next week at JUMP. There will be chef-led classes, panels & more all about local food. It's free but you have to register.
- Th Feb 9: Get your tix for the Valentine’s Charcuterie Workshop at The Angry Easel in Meridian. It's ~$50 and includes a heart-shaped platter & all the fixins. Fun!
Just trust me...
Here's a movie for you to watch this weekend: 8600FT. It's a documentary following Boise mountain biker Braydon Bringhurst as he attempts to be the first person ever to bike up the iconic Moab trail, The Whole Enchilada. It's super inspiring - dude has a mindset like no other.
Thanks for reading! Have a fun weekend!
With love from Boise,
Love this newsletter? I'm so glad! You can keep it going by supporting it here.