There's some fun events going on this Saturday, April 30. Here's some highlights, more below in things to do.
10am: Indie Bookstore Day at Rediscovered Bookshop (in Boise & Caldwell) and Once in a Future Books. Giveaways, book signings, and more book store things! It's free.
10am: Farmer's Markets are going on! Two in downtown Boise and more in Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell, and Eagle.
1pm: Halfway to Halloween will get you ready for all hallows eve – we're only 6 months away, people! Practice your costume make up, take a costume class, a wig workshop, or a corpsing class (what lol) 1-6pm at The Reveal in Boise Towne Square Mall. Tix are $5.
4pm: Rebuild Berryland is happening at Meriwether Cider. It's a fundraiser to help Berryland, an award-winning cidery in Ukraine that was destroyed in March 2022.
2pm: Revive Sustainable Fashion Show is happening at JUMP. Local designers have created wearable art and fashion using thrifted and recycled items. It's free to see and starts at 2pm! Also it's outside so dress for spring weather.
Later: A bunch of shows happening Saturday night! See below or fromboise.com/shows.
Idaho Gives is next week
There's a bunch of events going on this weekend and next week to kick off, keep momentum, and close out Idaho Gives. These events are fun & a cool way to learn about local nonprofits & their goals for the future of Boise. A few that caught my eye...
April 29: Boise Bicycle Project Idaho Gives Kick Off Party. BBP has a once in a lifetime opportunity this Idaho Gives to change the future of bicycling in Boise. A $50,000 matching donor has created an opportunity to raise $100,000 that would create Boise and BBP’s first ever full time Bicycle Advocacy Director and fully fund BBP's Mobile Fix-it stops for all of 2022. For Idaho Gives, BBP is fixing 100 bikes for 100 neighbors in 100 hours. Learn more here.
April 29: Idaho Gives with Boise River Enhancement Network. Join BREN, Golden Eagle Audubon Society, Boise Valley Fly Fishers, and Idaho Whitewater Association for a party in Kristin Armstrong Municipal Park. Enjoy refreshments, fly casting lessons, birding and plant tours, coloring contests, and more!
May 2: Jesse Tree + Payette Brewery Yard Game Party. Go drink a beer, play some bocce ball, and learn about how Jesse Tree is working to prevent evection and homelessness in Boise. 50% of taproom sales go to Jesse Tree.
May 5: 3rd Annual BFF Block Party for Idaho Gives. Join the all-ages block party and meet local nonprofits, enjoy live entertainment, and fill up on local food & beer, cider, and NA bevs. 5-9pm.
Sponsored by Ballet Idaho
Magic is best done simply...
...and next weekend, May 6-8, you have the chance to see two magical fairytales in one beautiful Ballet Idaho performance.
On May 6-8, Ballet Idaho will perform Bruce Wells’ Beauty and the Beast, a magical one-act fairy tale classic, followed by the world premiere of Ballet Idaho Associate Artistic Director Anne Mueller’s Peter and the Wolf in a whimsical act two.
Don't miss the magic – get your tickets here.
Tunes & shows
TONIGHT: There's a bluegrass jam sesh tonight at Meriwether Cider Co in Garden City. Bring your instruments. Beginners welcome! Goes 6-8pm.
SUNDAY: Vinyl Pop Up Shop is happening with Modern Sounds Vinyl at Lost Grove Brewing. 1-4pm. Free to attend!
Lots of good shows this week & next month! Check em out at fromboise.com/shows
- April 28 @ 6pm: The Living Street at Mother Earth Tap House
- April 28 @ 7pm: Mystery Skulls at The Shredder
- April 28 @ 8pm: Mother Yeti, Okay Okay, Braided Waves at Neurolux
- April 28 @ 8pm: The Flaming Lips at Knitting Factory
- April 28 @ 9pm: PROPERGANDA DJ Night at Club Karma
- April 29 @ 5pm: McMullen & Fry at Lost Grove Brewing
- April 29 @ 5pm: Bloom & Brother at Green Acres Boise
- April 29 @ 6pm: Highway45 at Mother Earth Tap House
- April 29 @ 6pm: MahaVia at The Sapphire Room
- April 29 @ 6pm: Dos Amigos at The Switchback
- April 29 @ 7pm: Hillstomp at Neurolux
- April 29 @ 8pm: Eric Church at ExtraMile Arena
- April 29 @ 8:30pm: Jukebox at Ironwood Bar & Grill
- April 29 @ 9pm: Hatton Reilly Band at Pengilly's
- April 30 @ 5pm: Far Better, Close By at Lost Grove Brewing
- April 30 @ 7pm: Potbelly, Dogs in the Fight, Dumpster Fire, The Jerkwadz at The Olympic
- April 30 @ 7:30pm: Mudhoney, Dirt Fisherman at Neurolux
- April 30 @ 8pm: Beach Bunny, Wednesday, Ky Vöss at El Korah Shrine (sold out)
- April 30 @ 8pm: Spring Dance Party at Ironwood Bar & Grill
- April 30 @ 8pm: Grateful Spring Rendezvous 2022 at Visual Arts Collective
- May 3 @ 8pm: Pink Mountaintops at Neurolux
- May 5 @ 8pm: Ryan Hurd at Knitting Factory
- May 6 @ 5pm: Jordan Shaw at Lost Grove Brewing
- May 6 @ 7pm: Wet w/ Zsela at Neurolux
More upcoming shows: fromboise.com/shows
Food finds & things to drink
- Apparently today is National Blueberry Pie Day and now I need this beautiful creation from Boise Pie Co.
- TONIGHT: Food truck lineup at Green Acres Boise is Hiroyuki Hibachi & Emily's Mexican Grill, plus live music by Emily Talbot.
- This weekend: Chop Shop in Caldwell has homemade mozzarella this weekend... I'm intrigued...
- April 29: Happy 10th bday Taphouse! They are celebrating with beer & app specials, beer tastings, live tunes & more. Their parmesan garlic fries are the best.
- April 29-30: The Switchback food truck park is opening for the season! It's located on S Millbrook Way and Haystack in East Boise. They will have live tunes, games & more. Food trucks on site include El Paco Tacos, Fly Wings, Fusion Frites, Off The Grid, Rusty Dog, Off The Grid-L, Tiki's Shave Ice & Hip Pop Hooray.
- April 29-May 1: Powderhaus Brewing is celebrating Maifest (Mayfest) will live music, food, vendors, tunes, tastings & more. Goes 12pm-8pm all three days.
Things to do
- TONIGHT: Open Arms Dance Project is performing THREADS tonight at Morrison Center! Tix are $15 and still available. Read our story about Open Arms Dance Project and tonight's show.
- TONIGHT: Go see Art at the Greenbelt Market. This week is artist Stephen Gray showing acrylic and structural mortar works. 6-8pm. It's free!
- TONIGHT: Salmon swim 850 miles from the ocean to Idaho. Tonight, you can go with them. Go see “Ocean to Idaho” film screening & presentation at Idaho State Museum. 6-8:15pm. Tix are $5 for non members, free for members.
- April 28-30: Vintage Road Trippin is back. The 3 day event features 16 stops throughout the Treasure Valley where you can find all kinds of vintage goodies. Find a map, locations & more info here.
- April 29: Go do Yoga at Lost Grove Brewing. All levels, byo mat. It's $10 cash or $11 venmo/card.
- April 29: Go see horror drag icons Boulet Brother's Dragula at Knitting Factory. Starts at 8pm, all ages.
- April 29: The Goonies (1985) is showing at The Egyptian Theatre. It's all ages, starts at 8pm, and tix are $10.
- April 29: Explore Dance Company has its annual charity performance, Exploration, next weekend. You have two chances to see it, 5pm & 7:30pm, at the Nampa Civic Center. Tix are $10-$15 and all proceeds benefit Operation Underground Railroad.
- April 29-30: Getting your garden going? Check out L.A Junk Antiques' Garden Party. Goes 11-5pm.
- April 30: Idaho Botanical Garden's Fairy House Exhibit kicks off at 9am. Wander through the gardens and find fairy, gnome, and elvish houses – and maybe see a tiny resident if you're lucky. The exhibit will be up until June 19.
- April 30: GREMLINS (1984) is showing at The Egyptian Theatre. It's all ages, starts at 8pm, and tix are $10.
- April 30: Go see Flamenco Laishy perform live Flamenco dancing at Potter Wines in Garden City. Food & wine available. Tix are $30-$50.
- May 3: Hops & Homes First Time Home Buyer Class is happening again at Lost Grove Brewing 6-7:30pm. This is a *free* class that I highly recommend. It truly helped me soooo much.
Just trust me...
Did you see this drone proposal over Les Bois Park?
Thanks for reading! Hope you have a lovely, sunny weekend!
With love from Boise,
Love this newsletter? I'm so glad! You can keep it going by supporting it here.