I know this seems weird because it's snowing, but it's time to start thinking about your garden. Lucky for us, there's a bunch of expert gardeners here that want to help us have the best garden ever. Here's a few workshops this weekend & coming up to help you get ready. Lots of these are limited space so register before they fill up!
Sat Jan 21: Gardening for Beginners at North End Organic Nursery. Whether you are new to gardening in Idaho or just looking to be more successful, this class gardening from start to finish class is for you. Starts at 1pm. It's free!
Sat Jan 21: Seed Starting & Organic Garden Planning Workshop at North End Organic Nursery. Learn what seeds need to be started indoors & best practices for success and timing. In-person & streamed online via NEON Facebook page at 2:30pm. It's free!
Sat Jan 21: What's Your 2023 Kitchen Garden Vision? Workshop at Edwards Greenhouse. 1-2pm. Create a vision board for your 2023 garden using inspiration from magazines and garden books, all while getting guidance on successful garden systems. It's free!
Sat Feb 4: Seed Starting Workshop at Franz Witte. 11am-12pm. Tix are $10.
Sun Feb 5: Beautiful Planting Plans Workshop at Edwards Greenhouse. 10:30-11:30am. Learn what vegetables pair well together and what flowers add beauty and productivity to your garden. It's free!
Sat Feb 11: Growing Herbs in Your Kitchen Garden Workshop at Edwards Greenhouse. 1-2pm. Learn about herbs that are great companions to various vegetables & utilize precious space in your raised bed gardens by knowing which herbs should grow where. It's free!
Sat Feb 11: Gardening 208: How to Prep Your Garden Beds for Spring Workshop at Franz Witte. 11am-12pm. Tix are $10.
Sat Feb 11: Small Footprint Landscape Design Workshop at FarWest Garden Center. Learn how to design a beautiful small-scale landscape. It's free! Call to register.
Sat Feb 18: Roses 101 Workshop at Franz Witte. 11am-12pm. Tix are $10. Cue Outkast song.
Sat Feb 25: Pruning = No Bad Haircuts Workshop at FarWest Garden Center. Learn how to give your plants a proper trim. It's free! Call to register.
Sat March 4: Soil Basics for your Kitchen Garden Workshop at Edwards Greenhouse. 1-2pm. Learn important components of your soil along with how to build and maintain healthy soil in a raised bed garden system. It's free!
Sat March 4: Landscape Design for All Seasons Workshop at FarWest Garden Center. Learn what plants will keep your yard in bloom all year long. It's free! Call to register.
Sat March 11: Fruit Trees 101 Workshop at Franz Witte. 11am-12pm. Tix are $10.
Sat April 8: Grow a Salad Garden Workshop at Edwards Greenhouse. 1-2pm. Learn to grow an amazing, simple, creative salad garden throughout the cool season of fall. It's free!
Happy bday Barley
Sat Jan 21: One of my fave Boise dogs is turning 14! Join Hops & Bottles for a dog party to celebrate Barley the Golden Retriever. The party is this Saturday, Jan 21 from 2-5pm. There will be free hot dogs, giveaways, a photo booth, & treats for your dogs. They are also doing a fundraiser for the Idaho Human Society - bring a donation & get 15% off anything you buy.
It's 21+ & dogs welcome, of course!
Celebrate Lunar New Year
Sat Jan 21: Idaho State Museum and the Idaho Chinese Organization has a big day of celebrations planned.
From 12-5pm there's a ton of activities, including Rabbit and Dragon Puppets, Traditional Papercutting, Chinese Characters Calligraphy Workshops, Traditional Chinese Tea Service Demonstrations and Tastings & more. From 12-1:30pm there will be multiple performances and a fashion show. And there's food!
All activities included with museum admission. More info here.
Also here's an interesting story on Chinese history in Boise.
Sponsored by Derluj
Snow day sale
Derluj, a curated gift shop on the bench, is having a new year sale! 60% off all xmas items & 30% off store wide. The perfect place to stock up on gifts, get your honey something for v-day or get something fun something for yourself.
Go visit Derluj at 701 S Latah in Boise!
Tunes & shows
- Fri Jan 20 @ 7:30pm: Tylor & The Train Robbers at The Egyptian Theatre
- Fri Jan 20 @ 8:30pm: The Last Call at Ironwood Bar & Grill
- Fri Jan 20 @ 9pm: Casey Shelden + The Homewreckers at Pengilly's Saloon
- Fri Jan 20 @ 7pm: Cliff Miller Band at The Sapphire Room
- Sat Jan 21 @ 6pm: Kraken Entertainment Concert Series at New Colony Beer Co.
- Sat Jan 21 @ 1pm & 7:30pm: The Boise Philharmonic's Bring On The Brahms at Morrison Center
- Sat Jan 21 @ 7pm: We Are You + Black Bolt + Wet Pet at Neurolux
- Sat Jan 21 @ 7pm: The June Babies: June in January at The Sapphire Room
- Sat Jan 21 @ 8pm: The Noteables at Ironwood Bar & Grill
- Sat Jan 21 @ 8pm: Gary Tackett & Full Moon Rude at Indian Creek Steakhouse
- Sat Jan 21 @ 9pm: Reggaeton Night at Knitting Factory
- Sun Jan 22 @ 7pm: Michele Eastland at The Sapphire Room
- Wed Jan 25 @ 7pm: The Powell Brothers at The Sapphire Room
Comedy & storytelling
- TONIGHT: Join local author Risë Collins for An Evening of Poetry and Prose at Rediscovered Books at 7pm. It's free!
- Fri Jan 20: Check out the Arcade Comedy Show at Lounge at the End of the Universe. Starts at 7pm & tix are $15.
- Fri-Sat Jan 20-21: Comedian Brandon Vestal is at Lounge at the End of the Universe. Tix are $20 and both shows start at 9pm. 18+
- Fri-Sat Jan 20-21: FIRST DATE A Musical Comedy is happening at Stage Coach Theatre. Tix are $20.
- Sat Jan 21: Comedian & podcaster Dan Cummins is at The Egyptian Theatre at 7pm. Tix start at $29.
- Sat Jan 21: FAIL-A-BRATION Comedy Show is happening at Recycled Minds Comedy. Starts at 8pm. Tix are $5-$15.
- Sat Jan 21: The Stand Up Strip Down Body Positive Comedy Show is happening at The Balcony at 8pm. Tix are $30. It's 21+
- Sun Jan 22: Drop More Fries! Service Industry Comedy Show is happening at Volume One Bar & Lounge in Meridian. Tix are $21 and starts at 8pm. 21+
Food finds & things to drink
- Sat Jan 21: Join the Sips + Sweets Tasting at Guru Donuts (downtown Boise location). Come by between 1-3pm to try 3 mini donuts paired with coffee from Cafe Mulé. Tix are $22.
- Sat Jan 21: Do you make great chili? Sign up for the Chili Cook-Off Competition at High Desert Harley Davidson. It's free to compete and/or eat.
- Sun Jan 22: Play beer pong for a good cause. Pups & Pong with PAWS Rescue is happening at Lost Grove at 5pm.
- Wed Jan 25: Join the 5 Course Dinner Paired with Poliziano Wines at ÀLAVITA. The menu looks amazing. It's $175 per person. Call to reserve.
- Have you been to Eight Thirty Common in Meridian yet? It's bombbb. The nachos are amazing and the corn dogs are (weirdly) really good. Maybe it's cause I haven't had a corn dog since I was like 10 years old at the fair but man, it really hit the spot. Cute vibe too.
Things to do
- TONIGHT: Go see The Peking Acrobats featuring The Shanghai Circus at The Morrison Center. It sounds incredible! Tix are ~$23-$43 and show starts at 7:30pm.
- TONIGHT: Check out Nobody Likes You When You’re 2023, a pop punk variety show, at Ochos. Tix are $15 and starts at 8pm. 21+
- Fri Jan 20: Join the artist Sueyeun Juliette Lee for a reading and film screening at MING Studios. Starts at 7pm. Pretty sure it's free.
- Fri-Sat Jan 20-21: Femme Von Follies' Obscure Orbit is back at it with a weekend of out of this world variety show. Starts at 8pm and tix are $20 online or $25 at the door. 21+
- Fri Jan 20: Check out the LezBe Timeless Drag Show at The Balcony. Tix are $10 & starts at 8pm. 21+
- Sat Jan 21: The Scottish Caledonian Society of Idaho is hosting the 118th annual Robert Burns Night at The Riverside Hotel. Join them for an evening of bagpipes, Scottish highland dancing, singing & a Scottish whiskey bar.
- Sat Jan 21: Go check out the SILENT DISCO: Ice Skating Party at Indian Creek Plaza. There's two sessions: 5-7pm and 8-10pm. Tix are $25 for skates & headphones.
- Sat Jan 21: Join the Paint 'n Sip at Warehouse Food Hall. It's $10 and includes a beverage.
- Sat Jan 21: A house party you won't forget. Join Danger at Gatsby's Ball, a murder mystery dinner at Watson's Cafe. Tix are $27-$75. PG-13
- Sun Jan 22: Have you ever been like "damn I wish I could fix this hole in my pants" or "if only I knew how to sew this button back on"? If so, you the Learn Basic Mending Workshop is for you! It's a small group workshop to learn how to fix your clothes & stuff. Fun! Tix are only $6 & limited space. 1-3pm.
Just trust me...
I got a kick out of this snarky graffiti
Thanks for reading!
With love from Boise,
Love this newsletter? I'm so glad! You can keep it going by supporting it here.