Happy Thanksgiving! Hope y'all have a great day & holiday weekend. I'm super grateful that you read my newsletter every week. From Boise started last year as a fun lil side project & has grown to become more than I ever imagined it would, all thanks to you <3 Have a fun weekend!
Things to do on Thanksgiving
- Go for a hike! Did you know that the Ridge to Rivers interactive map will now tell you the mud status on every trail. Amazing.
- Tonight: The Brew Haha Comedy Open Mic is at Mad Swede downtown at 8pm. It's free!
- Places serving dinner tonight: Mulligan's Pub has free meals until 8pm, Chandler's has 3-course thxgiving meals, Barbacoa has a thxgiving buffet, Texas de Brazil has a thxgiving buffet & Richard's in the Inn at 500.
- Winter Garden aGlow at the Botanical Garden opens on Thanksgiving night! Go walk the garden & see thousands of twinkling lights. Open 6-9:30pm Wed-Sun.
- Caldwell Winter Wonderland is open! Ice skating, lights, cozy drinks & more.
- Fri-Sun Nov 25-27: Holiday Pop-ups are happening at Lark & Larder. 10am-6pm each day. A new pop up vendor will be there each day & shop 50+ local makers in the store.
- Fri Nov 25: It's Record Store Day! Modern Sounds Vinyl & Record Exchange both have RSD specials happening.
- Sat Nov 27: It's Small Business Saturday! Go shop at some local stores. Here's my shop local list in case you missed it.
- Sat Nov 26: Holiday Market at The Warehouse Food Hall happening 4-9pm.
- Sat Nov 26: Winter Sip & Shop at Mother Earth Tap House happening 2-6pm.
- Sat Nov 26: Jordan's Garden Center's has a Holiday Bazaar from 12-4pm.
- Sun Nov 27: Ethereal Arts Bazaar is happening at The Lounge at the End of the Universe. Shop local artists, makers, psychics & more.
- I also have another local gift idea for you: Idaho Preferred Holiday Gift Boxes. These are seriously so cool. Filled to the brim with Idaho-grown products. All you have to do is wrap it! Each box is $65 (tax & shipping included). Added bonus: your pet will love the box ;)
- Go visit Santa at The Village at Meridian
- Fri Nov 25: The Holiday Tree Lighting in Downtown Boise is happening from 5-6pm on the Grove Plaza.
- Fri Nov 25: Koenig Holiday Market is happening at Koneig Distillery from 12-6pm with all local vendors.
- Fri-Sat Nov 25-26: The Festival of Trees is happening at Ford Idaho Center.
- Fri-Sat Nov 25-26: Free Horse-Drawn Carriage Rides through downtown Boise are happening 4-8pm.
- Fri-Sat Nov 25-26: Franz Witte is having a Holiday Festival from 9am-6pm. Trees, wreaths, greenery, decor, workshops, live music & more. Free to attend!
- Sat Nov 26: Nampa's Christmas Tree Lighting & Shop Small Saturday events happening all day in Lloyd Square.
- Sat Nov 26: Habitat Veterinary Hospital is doing Holiday Pet Portraits from 12-3pm. All animals welcome!
- Liga Boise is the place to watch the World Cup. They are open nearly everyday starting at 6am to screen the matches. Drinks, bfast burritos & football. Check hours & dates here.
- Fri Nov 25: Boise State vs Utah State on the blue. Kick off at 10am. Tix still available $30-$70. The Jackson’s on Broadway near the stadium is having a tailgate party starting at 7:30am. (I can already sense the day drinking hangovers lol)
- Fri Nov 25: Double Tap Pub is showing USMNT v. England. Starts at 11:30pm.
- Fri-Sat Nov 25-26: Idaho Steelheads Hockey has two home games this weekend! We took our fam to a game last year & it was really fun. Game starts at 7:10pm & tix start at $19.
Sponsored by The Modern Hotel
The Layover is back
One of Boise's most beloved drinks has returned & it's only available at The Modern Bar until February. The Layover is a boozy bourbon cocktail with a smoky peated salt rim & a side of toasty pecans. It's *so* good. New this year, the bar has Layover postcards that you can mail to a friend right from your seat - fun! Get it while ya can.
PS - The Modern's super cyber sale is still going on. Book now & get 20% off your room, food & drinks!
Tunes & shows
- Fri Nov 25 @ 7pm: CHAZ at The Sapphire Room
- Sat Nov 26 @ 6pm: Dueling Pianos at Twisted District Brewing
- Sat Nov 26 @ 6pm: punk + metal show at Craft Brewers of Boise
- Sat Nov 26 @ 7pm: Austin Lucas + James Plane Wreck + Guest at VAC
- Sat Nov 26 @ 7pm: basement Album Release Party at The Shredder
- Sat Nov 26 @ 7pm: Lisa Mann & Lara Price at The Sapphire Room
- Sun Nov 27 @ 7pm: Jensen Buck & The Family at The Sapphire Room
- Sun Nov 27 @ 7pm: Nascar Aloe + Deathproof inc + Dogma Society at The Shredder
- Tue Nov 29 @ 8pm: Secret Shame + We Are You at Neurolux
Comedy & storytelling
- Sat Nov 26: The Up Close and Personal Comedy Stand-up is happening at Watson's. Show starts at 6:30pm. $20 at the door & it's 18+
- Mon Nov 28: The Sweet Swede Comedy Open Mic at Mad Swede Brewing. Sign ups at 7:30, jokes at 8.
- Tue Nov 29: Story Story Night is kicking off a new season! Go see TASTE at 7pm at JUMP. Tix are $12.
Food finds & things to drink
- Fri Nov 25: Payette Brewing Black Friday is happening from 2-8pm. Try 30+ high-end & rare dark beers, new releases, enjoy food & live music. It's free to attend! Tasting cups are $4 or byo from last year. It's 21+ & no dogs allowed for this one.
- Fri Nov 25: Brewer's Haven is doing a Black Friday Cellar Release Party with Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.
- Fri Nov 25: Split Rail Winery is having a Holiday Barrel Tasting from 12-6pm. New releases, snacks & wine discounts.
- Fri-Sun Nov 25-27: Enjoy the Wine, Chocolate, and Cheese Pairing at Kindred Vineyards. 12-7pm every day.
- Fri-Sun Nov 25-27: Join the Thanksgiving Weekend Festivities at Sawtooth Winery. They have discounts, live music, fireplaces & more.
- Sat Nov 26: Bear Island Brewing Co. is having an 8th anniversary bash from 2-7pm. New releases, holiday market & more.
- Wed Nov 30: Tasting Night at Telaya is happening 7-9pm. Try 5 wines and a special snack box. Tix are $30.
Things to do
- Fri Nov 25: Go Black Friday Birding at Hyatt Hidden Lakes Reserve. Starts at 10am. It's free!
- Fri Nov 25: Join the Restore & Replenish Gratitude Sound Bath at Hidden Springs Community Barn. It's 7-9:30pm & tix are $38.
- Fri Nov 25: Go play trivia at Stone Crossing! It's also food truck night & they have a wood fired pizza special.
- Fri Nov 25: The 12th annual Pussycat Ball, a night of cat costumes, burlesque & dancing, is happening at 7pm at The Balcony. Tix are $20. 21+
- Sat Nov 26: Go watch When Harry Met Sally at The Egyptian Theatre. Starts at 8pm & tix are $5. 18+
- Sun Nov 27 & Tue Nov 29: Telaya Wine Co has a Holiday Wreath Making workshop. It's $65 & includes a glass of wine.
- City Cast Boise recommends participating in Boise Bicycle Project's Holiday Kid's Bike Giveaway. Boise-area kids have drawn up their "dream bike," and the Boise Bicycle Project has multiple different ways for people to help contribute, whether through volunteering, a financial donation, bike donation, or bike "adoption." Every year, the Project gives 500+ bikes to the community.
- Save the date for Flying M Hip Holiday Craft Market on Dec 3 at the Flying M in Nampa. It's one of my faves!
Thanks for reading & happy holiday weekend!
With love from Boise,
Love this newsletter? I'm so glad! You can keep it going by supporting it here.