Happy Halloween weekend, friends!
This newsletter is a big one - there is so much going on! I stuffed as many Halloween events as I could find in here, and I also included a bunch of non-Halloween things too.
It took me a long while to put this together so thank you for reading it, and be sure to send it to your friends who are wondering what's going on this weekend! Better yet, tell them to subscribe :)
Death Cafe tonight
TONIGHT: Death Cafe Boise provides an opportunity for an open conversation about death. Facilitators guide the process. Come join
the conversation and please bring your curiosity, your interest and your experiences. All are welcome and invited to participate! Free to attend and no registration required. It's happening in the parking lot of Congregation Ahavath Beth Israel (11 N Latah Street, Boise) from 6-7:30pm.
Read my story about Death Cafe Boise here.
Trick or treats
TONIGHT: Downtown Meridian is having a Trunk or Treat with 80+ businesses that create mini worlds and hand out treats. It goes 6-9pm and it's free. A donation to the Meridian Food Bank Backpack Program is encouraged.
TONIGHT: Downtown Nampa is having its annual trick or treat event. There's live music, trick or treating at businesses and from classic cars, a straw maze and more. It goes 4-7pm.
Fri Oct 27: Simply Cats Trick or Treat Open House is happening from 12-3pm. Visit the kitties, get some candy & support our local no-kill shelter. Bring donation items for the kitties. Entry fee is $5.
Fri Oct 27: Canyon County Sheriff’s Office Trunk or Treat event is happening from 2-4pm at Justice Park in Caldwell.
Fri Oct 27: Trunk or Treat at Treasure Valley Subaru is happening from 4-6pm at TV Subaru in Nampa. There will be lots of candy and some local car clubs too.
Fri Oct 27: Riverside Hotel Trunk or Treat with Garden City Police is happening from 5-7pm. It's free!
Fri Oct 27: Kuna's Trunk or Treat and Spooky Movie Night is happening on the Greenbelt behind City Hall. Treats from 4:30-7:30, movie starts at 7pm.
Sat Oct 28: Trucks n' Treats is happening at Lakeview Park in Nampa. Costume contest, truck decorating contest, food, music, and more. Goes 4-7pm.
Sat Oct 28: Nampa Farmer's Market is doing a trick or treat, costume contest and more. Goes 9am-1pm.
Sat Oct 28: Downtown Eagle is hosting a party, Night of a Thousand Pumpkins, from 5-9pm on the front lawn of Eagle Public Library and City Hall. There will be treats, face painting, food trucks, a Chili cook off, and other stuff, including 1,000 pumpkins.
Sat-Sun Oct 28-29: Boo at the Zoo is a family Halloween event with trick or treat stations, costume contests, vendors, photo ops, face painting, special Halloween themed treats for the zoo animals, and more. It's going 10am-5pm (last admission 4pm) and all events are included with Zoo admission.
Sun Oct 29: Wizard Encounter is happening at the Boise Depot. Take the kids to meet witches & wizards from 12-4pm. Free tours of the Depot happening at 12pm and 1:30pm. It's free!
Tue Oct 31: Combs Car Corral's Annual Trunk or Treat is happening from 9am-7pm. There's costume contests, decorated cars, selfie stations & giant candy bars! Happening at both locations: 9640 W Fairview Ave, Boise and 536 Caldwell Blvd, Nampa. It's free!
Tue Oct 31: Salvation Army Trunk or Treat is happening form 6-8pm at 9492 W Emerald Street in Boise. It's free!
Tue Oct 31: Boise Bench Haunted Backyard Zombie Toyland is open 6-9pm. It's free! Address is 2029 S Columbus Street on the Boise Bench.
Most of these are drinking and/or live music events, but not all of them!
Fri Oct 27: The Shrining is happening at Shrine Basement with local bands Floating Witches Head + Enigma Machine + Have You Seen This Ghost? + DJ Ralph. Tix are $6.66. 18+
Fri Oct 27: Nightmare on Realms Street Costume Contest & Dance Party is happening at Realms Arcade (109 S 23rd Street, Suite A, Boise) from 6pm-late. Live DJs, costume contest with prizes and more. Tix are $13 online or $15 at the door. 18+
Fri Oct 27: Haunted Hannah's Barbie Prom is happening at Humpin' Hannah's. Starts at 5pm, no cover! There's a costume contest for best Barbie and Ken costumes, free stuff, $1 Barbie shots and music. 21+
Fri Oct 27: Potter Wines is hosting Murder Mystery Night at the Skull Manor Costume Ball. You'll be assigned a character in the murder mystery storyline. Tix are $48 and includes a glass of wine or beer, individual charcuterie plate, costume contest, and an evening of fun. 21+
Fri Oct 27: Scream Queens drag show is happening at VAC. Tix are $25 online, $30 at the door. Starts at 7:30pm. 21+
Fri Oct 27: Casa Añejo is hosting Agave Nights, a Halloween costume party with live music by DJ Fresh. Starts at 10pm. Address is 812 Main Street, Caldwell.
Fri-Sat Oct 27-28: Squawky & Spirits, a Halloween bash, is happening at The Old Idaho Pen. Enjoy music and entertainment, food, drinks, and tours of the haunted cell block. Tix are $20 and it goes 7-11pm both nights. 18+
Sat Oct 28: Hops & Bottles is having a party and dog costume contest. There's prizes for best costumes, giveaways, and more. Goes 3-6pm. 21+
Sat Oct 28: Payette Brewing is having a dog party, dog costume contest, and bingo. There will also be a natural pet treat vendor and food truck. Goes 5-8pm. Also if you or your dog wear a costume you get a $1 off beers all day!
Sat Oct 28: Pedro's Flippin Sweet Halloween DJ Party is happening at Realms Arcade (109 S 23rd Street, Suite A, Boise) from 6pm-late. Efren Ramirez, the dude who played Pedro in the movie, is DJing. That's flippin sweet. Dress as your fave Napoleon Dynamite character. Tix are $30 (includes unlimited arcade games) or $50 for VIP tix (includes meet & greet & more stuff). All ages.
Sat Oct 28: Voodoo Cellar is having a Halloween party from 9pm-12am. Costume contest with over $300 in prizes. Admission is $5 and you get a jello shot. 21+
Sat Oct 28: Ocho's Slasher Prom is happening from 8pm-1am. Tix are $15 online or $25 at the door and includes a glass of "bloody bubbly" and drink specials. 21+
Sat Oct 28: Howl at the Moon Bar Crawl is 4 clubs (Amsterdam, Karma, Roddy's and StrangeLove) for $25. There's a costume contest at each stop! 21+
Sat Oct 28: Exotic Erotica Ball is happening at Humpin' Hannah's from 5pm-2am. Costume contest, drink specials, games, live music and more. 21+
Sat Oct 28: Somewhere Bar is having a Halloween Carnival from Hell party. Starts at 9pm, no cover. 21+
Sat Oct 28: Halloween Party at Heritage Social, starts at 8pm. There's a live band, costume party, drink specials and more. $5 cover.
Sat Oct 28: The Noise Reggaeton Halloween Bash is happening at El Tenampa (7802 West Spectrum Street, Boise) from 10pm-2am. Tix are $30 or $350 for a 6-person table. 18+
Sat Oct 28: Tropical Latin Halloween Party at Knitting Factory. Tix are $12-$24 and it starts at 9pm. 18+
Sat Oct 28: Karuna Kava is having a Boo-La Costume Party from 6-11:30pm. Live music at 8pm, costume contest with prizes and good company. It's free!
Sat Oct 28: The 8th Annual Grateful Halloween Show is happening at VAC. Tix are $20 and the show starts at 8pm.
Sat Oct 28: Thriller Dance Class + Parking Lot Flash Mob is happening at Potter Wines from 3-5pm. Zombie costumes are encouraged. This event is SOLD OUT but you can still go watch!
Sat Oct 28: Horns and Halos 3: Full Moon Edition is happening at 108 W 33rd Street in Garden City. Flow Dojo is hosting with 2 stages, fire performances, Boise Circus Guild special guest performance, full moon ritual + destruction ritual, raffle prizes, and super smash bros contest against Patrick Allen Fitzgerald with a $100 cash prize. Tix are $20.
Sat Oct 28: Indian Creek Steakhouse Halloween Bash is happening in Caldwell. Live music by Dave Nudo Band, costume contest with prizes and it's free to attend!
Fri-Sat Oct 27-28 & Tue Oct 31: Trick or Drink Halloween Bar Crawl is happening at Cactus Bar (check in + pick up wristband), Camp Cocktail, Front Street Lounge, The Loading Dock, Parrilla Grill, SpaceBar, and House of Western. Your wristband gets you into all locations and drink specials all night.
Sun Oct 29: Idaho River Sports is hosting Hull-O-Ween, a spooky costume paddle on Quinn's Pond. Fun! FREE kayak/canoe/paddle board rentals, prizes for best costumes and fun times. Paddle starts at noon sharp, goes until 2pm. It's free!
Tue Oct 31: Barbarian Brewing has multiple events going on, including a KegFit workout, running club, and The Owldape Ghoulstompers Barbaric Halloween Costume Party is happening at Barbarian Brewing in Garden City at 6pm. Costumes highly encouraged.
Tue Oct 31: Spafford + Jupiter Holiday is playing at Treefort Music Hall. It's a jam band evening. Tix are $20 online, $25 door $40 for rail seating or $50 for table seating ($100 tables). Starts at 8pm.
Tue Oct 31: The Billy Blues Band Halloween Party is happening at the Sapphire Room. Costumes encouraged. Starts at 6pm and it's all ages. Tix are $25-$30.
Tue Oct 31: Darkness Dance at Neurolux. Dark DJs on Halloween night. No cover, starts at 8pm. 21+
Tue Oct 31: Haunted Hannah's Zombie Prom is happening from 8pm-2am at Humpin' Hannah's. No cover, lots of prizes for costumes, and drink specials. 21+
Tue Oct 31: Halloween show with Noble Holt & Captain Snafu at Pengilly's Saloon. It's free! 21+
Sat Oct 28: Rocky Horror Picture Show (UK Version) is showing at the Egyptian Theatre at 9pm. Tix are $20. Wear a costume! 18+
Mon Oct 30: Troll 2 (1990) is showing at Realms Arcade. Tix are $8 and the movie starts at 7pm.
Tue Oct 31: Halloween (1978) is showing at Voodoo Cellar at 8pm. It's free! Get there early for pre-movie trivia.
Dia de los Muertos
Sat Oct 28: Día De Los Muertos workshops are happening at JUMP. At 10am there's a Celebration Circle, at 11am there's a Cultural Storytelling workshop, at 11:30am there's a Mini Altar workshop, and at 1:30pm there's a Sugar Skull workshop. Also next Thursday, November 2, there's a Día de Muertos celebration with live performances, short films and altar offerings.
Sat Oct 28: Día De Los Muertos celebration at Nampa Public Library. There's movies, storytelling, crafts, performances, food and more. Goes 10am-4pm. It's free!
Sun Oct 29: Día de los Muertos Potting Bar happening at A Succulent Day from 2-4pm. Tix are $34 and includes one slice of Pan de Muertos, one cup of champurrado or chocolate abuelita, a 4” sugar skull planter, a 2” succulent or cactus & instruction.
Taste of Downtown Boise
Fri Oct 27-Sun Nov 5: Taste of Downtown Boise starts tomorrow! Bars & restaurants in downtown Boise create special menus that are available for these 10 days only. There’s $12 special menu, social hour menu and prix fixe menu, plus some places have special experiences.
Alsooo we are doing a BFF meetup on November 2 for Taste of Downtown + First Thursday + fun shows. Join us!
Tunes & shows
- TONIGHT: This Is The Kit + Rozi Plain at Neurolux
- TONIGHT: Mersiv + Jon Casey + Deadcrow at Knitting Factory
- TONIGHT: Sidewalk Slam at The Shredder
- TONIGHT: IdontKnowJeffery + Black Smurf + Mikey Rotten at Realms
- Fri Oct 27: Noah Vonne + Bluphoria + Natalie Soma at Neurolux
- Fri Oct 27: Tee Grizzley at Revolution Center
- Fri Oct 27: Floating Witch’s Head + Enigma Machine + Have You Seen This Ghost? + DJ Ralph at Shrine Basement
- Fri Oct 27: Town Mountain + The Lil Smokies + Two Runner at Treefort Music Hall
- Fri Oct 27: Armed For Apocalypse at The Shredder
- Fri Oct 27: Bubble Rave at Knitting Factory
- Sat Oct 28: Monophonics + The Seshen + Mungo at Treefort Music Hall
- Sat Oct 28: Last Giant + James Plane Wreck + Los Syringas + Dark Matter Horizon at CRLB
- Sat Oct 28: Grateful Halloween Show at VAC
- Sat Oct 28: The Last Call at The Sapphire Room
- Sat Oct 28: Weald And Woe + Old Year at The Shredder
- Sun Oct 29: The Boise Cello Collective + Alex Sjobeck & Abraham Masso at The Sapphire Room
- Sun Oct 29: Eilen Jewell + Nick Delffs at Treefort Music Hall
- Sun Oct 29: Plum Vision + Forty Feet Tall + Play The Fool at Shrine Basement
- Sun Oct 29: Exciter + Lich King + Claustrofobia + Blood Star at The Shredder
- Mon Oct 30: Don Broco + The Home Team + Skyler Acord + The Color 8 at Treefort Music Hall
- Mon Oct 30: Abraham Alexander + Phillip-Michael Scales at 9th Street Parallel
- Tue Oct 31: Spafford + Jupiter Holiday at Treefort Music Hall
- Tue Oct 31: Chris Pureka + With Child at Shrine Basement
- We Nov 1: Theory of a Deadman + Skillet at Revolution Center
- Wed Nov 1: Allah-Las + Sam Burton at Treefort Music Hall
- Wed Nov 1: Jonathan Bree + Marion Raw at Neurolux
Comedy & storytelling
- Fri Oct 27: Go listen to poet Alice Notley, who is one of the greatest living American poets. She has over 40 books of poetry and numerous awards. The reading is at 7:30pm in the Hemingway Center at BSU.
- Fri-Sat Oct 26-27: Comedian Heath Harmison is at Lounge at the End of the Universe. Tix are $20. The show on Friday is at 7pm, show on Saturday is at 9pm. 21+
- Sat Oct 28: Go hear Scary Stories at the Bookstore! Chaotic Acts of Theatre is performing spooky stories at Rediscovered Books from 7-8pm. Reserve a spot with a donation.
- Sat Oct 28: IdaHistory is doing a Book Talk about their new book, Haunted Boise, at the Idaho State Archives. Starts at 11am. It's free!
- Sat Oct 28: Paranormal Improv comedy show at Recycled Minds Comedy. Starts at 8pm and tix are $5 for kids, $15 for adults.
- Sat Oct 28: Comedian Nate Ford w/ friends Amos Haley + Tanta Cope + Krystal + LJ Sullivan are at Mad Swede Brew Hall. Tix are $20 and the show starts at 9pm.
- Weekly comedy open mics: Mondays at Mad Swede (Cole Road), sign ups 7:30pm/start 8pm. Tuesdays at Hops & Bottles at 6:30pm. Thursdays at Mad Swede Brew Hall (downtown), online sign ups, starts at 8pm. Saturday at Mad Swede Brew Hall (downtown), sign ups 10:30pm, start 11pm.
Food finds & things to drink
- Sun Oct 29: Split Rail Winery is having its fall release this weekend. Five new wines to try. It's free for wine club members or $15 for non-members. Goes 2-5pm.
- Sun Oct 29: Join Telaya Wine Co for a Vertical Tasting. Taste multiple vintages of the same varietal to learn more about how Telaya wine ages. Tix are $30 and theres food available or you can byo snacks. Goes 3-4:30pm.
- Get your tix: The Soil to Soul Dinner #5 just put tix on sale for the dinner on November 20. I've heard good things about these!
- Guru Donuts Halloween designs are to die for. I need a Frankenstein maple bar.
- Did you see that Alchemist Coffee has a new downtown Boise location??
- Wild Plum is taking reservations for the winter greenhouse dinners. These are so fun!
- Also, Alyonka's Russian Cuisine had a break in last weekend & they smashed the whole front door! Do you know the dude in these photos? Help them out!
Things to do
- TONIGHT: The Backcountry Film Festival is happening at Treefort Music Hall. It's a celebration of the human-powered experience and a gathering place for the backcountry snowsports community. Funds raised go to the Boise-based Winter Wildlands Alliance. Tix are $20 and it goes 6-10pm.
- TONIGHT: Did you know we have Boise-themed Monopoly? Go to the Boise Monopoly Launch After Party at Cactus Bar. There's a meet & greet with Mr. Monopoly, DJs, raffle and more. Starts at 8pm & it's free! 21+
- TONIGHT: Treasure Valley Artists Alliance is having an opening reception for a new art exhibit called Body Language. More info here!
- Th-Sun Oct 26-28: Ballet Idaho's The Gathering Dark is performing this weekend. It's the season opener! The show features three chilling performances, and there's a show each day. Tix are $28-$108.
- Fri-Sun Oct 27-29: Monster Jam is happening at Ford Idaho Center. Go watch monster trucks run over stuff. Tix start at $22 and there's multiple show times.
- Sat Oct 28: No New Vintage Market is happening from 10am-4pm at the Linen Building. Lots of goodies to find!
- Sat Oct 28: Boise Bicycle Project is having its Holiday Kids Bike Drive this weekend. Donate your gently used kids bikes & BBP will fix them up to give to a local kid this Christmas.
- Sat Oct 28: Boise State Football game vs Wyoming. Starts at 3:30pm. There's still tix available!
- Sat Oct 28: Join the Transformation of Foliage workshop at Surel's Place with artist in residence Willow Wells. Willow will guide you through the process of observing and mimicking patterns seen in nature and how to use these patterns to create something new. Tix are $45 and the class is open to ages 14+. All materials provided.
- Sat Oct 28: New to riding a motorcycle? Take the New Rider Workshop at High Desert Harley Davidson.
- Sat Oct 28: Join the Divine Timing Women's Gathering at Source Meditation. It's a two hour gathering and tix are $44. Goes 5:30-7:30pm.
- Sun Oct 29: Tate's Rents Touch-a-Truck event is happening from 11am-3pm at 11500 W Fairview Ave in Boise. It's free!
Upcoming BFF meetups:
- TONIGHT: Ballet Idaho: The Gathering Dark
- Th Nov 2: Taste of Downtown + First Thursday + Fun Shows
- Sun Nov 5: Game day hang
- Tue Nov 21: Kava hang
Want to become a BFF? Join here!
Just trust me...
A few cat cartoons for you...
Thanks for reading! Have a fun & safe Halloween weekend!
With love from Boise,